Am I wrong for wanting Flippula back?

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Hey Wings fans.

If you replace Flip with Weiss, upgrade or downgrade?

Looking at it short term, I say upgrade. Filppula has so much potential, but offensively, he's just not showing the improvements we expect from him. Last season looks like a fluke compared to this season. He shys away from the net and his decision making isn't the best. Very good to have on the PK and is still relatively young, but I'd take Weiss while waiting for the likes of Jarnkrok and co. to develop.

But that does show we need some better prospects at center. I only see Jarnkrok as a legitimate top 6 center. This draft could prove helpful in this area.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Yep if Filppulas lucky he might get that from Calgary and never will another championship. I guess money means more to Filppula then winning.

I'm not a fan of Flip's game and hope he moves on to another team, but I don't have a problem with him taking a big contract with another team. I'm sure that he's confident in his playing ability and thinks that he could be a key piece in turning around a bad team, or putting a mediocre team over the top. I'd guess that most/all pro athletes have that type of confidence.

He's already won a Cup and he generally played well in those playoffs, so it's not like he'd be leaving a bad team like the Jets to sign with Calgary while spurning a great offer from the Wings. He's been on winning teams and probably thinks he can help another team win.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Well, from a player standpoint this is his only real time for a big payday. I don't really blame him to be honest.

True he's 29 years old and like you say this will be probably his only chance to cash in on a big pay day, I personally dont think he's worth nearly what he's asking for but some team out there will gladly overpay for the talent that he can bring to that team and i do wish him the best of luck.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm not a fan of Flip's game and hope he moves on to another team, but I don't have a problem with him taking a big contract with another team. I'm sure that he's confident in his playing ability and thinks that he could be a key piece in turning around a bad team, or putting a mediocre team over the top. I'd guess that most/all pro athletes have that type of confidence.

He's already won a Cup and he generally played well in those playoffs, so it's not like he'd be leaving a bad team like the Jets to sign with Calgary while spurning a great offer from the Wings. He's been on winning teams and probably thinks he can help another team win.

Yep I'm sure that if a young team like Calgary does sign Filppula, That he will be bring alot of leadership to that team and i'm sure that he would'nt mind playing with Hudler again i wish him the best of luck no matter what team he plays on.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Looking at it short term, I say upgrade. Filppula has so much potential, but offensively, he's just not showing the improvements we expect from him. Last season looks like a fluke compared to this season. He shys away from the net and his decision making isn't the best. Very good to have on the PK and is still relatively young, but I'd take Weiss while waiting for the likes of Jarnkrok and co. to develop.

But that does show we need some better prospects at center. I only see Jarnkrok as a legitimate top 6 center. This draft could prove helpful in this area.

I'd say upgrade, too. I didn't like how he shied away from the ugly parts of the ice in the playoffs this year. He might have been hurting from the knee still, I don't know, but you can't be effective without getting your nose dirty. A guy like Brunner might suck in the corners, but he goes there, and he goes to the net. Flip just hasn't been willing to go there often enough.

Also, he only seems able to produce offensively on the wing. At center he just isn't able to find that balancing point between being effective in the offensive zone and being defensively responsible. Weiss is an upgrade just for the fact that he's produced his points at center.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yep I'm sure that if a young team like Calgary does sign Filppula, That he will be bring alot of leadership to that team and i'm sure that he would'nt mind playing with Hudler again i wish him the best of luck no matter what team he plays on.

Calgary is also lousy up the middle. Is Matt Stajan their #1c right now? And I'm not sure who they have behind him unless someone like Tanguay or Cammeleri slides over. Flip would actually be a major upgrade for them, and would probably step into that #1 spot. Calgary actually looks like a great place for any center looking for a pay day.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Back to the OP, yes. I would say you're wrong to want Flip back for the price it would take.

I don't necessarily want Bert/Cleary/Tootoo/Sammy/etc on the roster either, but signing Flip for $5+ mil a year doesn't really solve those problems and gums them up on the cap going forward another 7 or 8 years.

Adding yet another unproductive player with a grossly inflated salary back into the mix accomplishes nothing. Nyquist is better than Flip and they also have Tatar. There's no reason whatsoever to sign Flip.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Calgary is also lousy up the middle. Is Matt Stajan their #1c right now? And I'm not sure who they have behind him unless someone like Tanguay or Cammeleri slides over. Flip would actually be a major upgrade for them, and would probably step into that #1 spot. Calgary actually looks like a great place for any center looking for a pay day.

Yup. There's a few places desperate for an upgrade there. Toronto? Dallas?

If I'm Flip, I test the market because it's a dream free agency for a center!

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I've never gotten the fascination with Flip among the Wings fanbase.

His shot selection is nil. He isn't particularly fast. He isn't a spectacular playmaker. He doesn't drive to the net. He doesn't hit. His defensive play isn't particularly strong. Outside of one year where he played 20 minutes a night with Datsyuk, he's never been more than a .5 ppg player.

Briere, Weiss, Iginla, Richards could all likely be had for what he wants or slightly more. Less for Weiss.

It's time to part ways with Flip. Him asking for 5 million is nuts. His last contract was based on potential and he hasn't fulfilled it. He's not a top six player.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 13 h
Ken Holland says he wants to keep Valtteri Filppula but price has to make sense for both sides.

ugghhh. Hopefully Filppula is stubborn and refuses to sign for cheaper. He would be stupid to not go to Free Agency if he wants money.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Well, from a player standpoint this is his only real time for a big payday. I don't really blame him to be honest.

I don't think people are blaming him, it just means he won't be a Red Wing.

I have no problem with dudes getting their payday - it usually only happens once, maybe twice in a career when you can get paid real big money.

But there is no way I want to sign Flip to a 6-7 year deal at $5.0-5.5MM.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I don't think people are blaming him, it just means he won't be a Red Wing.

I have no problem with dudes getting their payday - it usually only happens once, maybe twice in a career when you can get paid real big money.

But there is no way I want to sign Flip to a 6-7 year deal at $5.0-5.5MM.

Agreed - he can be replaced from within and that is what makes the Redwings great.

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
:laugh: It's an X-Files-esque mystery right up there with the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa's remains... which apparently may not be buried in the foundations of the Meadowlands!!

He's under the John C. Lodge... I thought this was common knowledge.

I'm looking forward to Flip signing elsewhere if not just to see if HTT3 can work Flip into as many threads as Eva can with Hudler. Yep, I'm throwing down the gauntlet right now :D

I already win... My head start is unsumountable. :D

One or both of Tanguay/Cammalleri is likely to be dealt before next season. Calgary has a good group of skilled wingers aside from them with Hudler, Glencross, Baertschi, and Stempniak. Backlund and Stajan are both top-six two-way centers who could hit 50 points given PP time (Stajan has done it before a couple times with weaker wingers than Calgary has). They have some decent forward prospects as well. If they add Filppula to that group, plus whoever comes in from their top pick, they could be doing pretty well in a couple seasons with a solid core of two-way centers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->