Am I wrong for wanting Flippula back?

Detroit Sports*

I rather give him 5mil a year than Cleary and Sammy the 5mil or Bert and Tootoo. I know you guys think he isn't worth it I am in agreement but he is a skilled top 6 player we lack those. If the money is spent on Cleary and Bert or Sammy and Cola then why not just give it to Flip and it will OPEN UP roster spots too. I am no expert but doesn't this make sense instead of keeping/re-signing washed up players?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I agree I'd rather have Fil than Cleary+Sammy or Bert+Tootoo. Even at 5M. Why? Because

1. He'd play. Tootoo often sits. Didn't even sniff the playoffs. What good is that? Bert/Sammy are injury machines now. Are they going to play?

2. It's 1 spot vs. 2. 1 extra spot available for the kids.

He gives us more options because he could center if we needed it. He PK's sometimes as well, which only Cleary does of those four, and even then, only rarely.

But ideally I'd rather have someone from GR. I think Flipper has been surpassed by at least 2 of the guys down there. He's too much of a perimeter player. No killer instinct. We need that killer instinct.

Last edited:

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
4fc98c973d2d2.png

Detroit Sports*

So no to Flip but yes to Cleary/Sammy or other lesser impact combos for the same money? He is not worth 5mil but I rather pay for his production than what the others I mentioned bring FOR THE SAME CAP HIT.

7r4n

Catsyuk has Dangles
Apr 19, 2012
IMO your reasoning is all perfect and everything makes sense. I want Filppula back too, but I don't think he deserves 5+ mil. His game is just not worth that much money. He may be a top 6 player but based on the fact that his production declined so steeply this year compared to 2011-2012 I wouldn't want to throw 5+ mil at him. Franzen puts up similar numbers to Flip AND he gets goals for us at only 4 mil. I'd be confused as to why Flip would deserve more than Franzen when his production is the same.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Don't want to pay him what he wants, so yes I think you are wrong. Even while getting rid of the other players you want in your OP I would still just rather make a change, better for both parties in my opinion. Started preparing for life without Filppula when they didn't rotate an A for him this season. The he was a disaster all year and his asking price hasn't budged according to most reports. His right but glad Holland isn't biting.

GrindNMuck

Jun 11, 2013
No your not.

The Wings will miss him a lot. He's a quick, skilled, young player.

If the wings and Flippula can reach a good deal worth about 4.5 million thats fine. Get rid of Samullessen with a 3 million dollar contract, and he doesnt do anything. Let Cleary, White go on the market. Trade Eaves, Samullssen, that will give them about 4- million dollars right there.

1. If the wings sign Flippula, they are set for awhile. They have Franzen,Zetty,Datsyuk,Flippula,Nyquist,Helm.

2. Look on the free agent market. Elias, Clowe, Briere,Gagne,Stalberg,Bickell,Boyes

Lineup. Mine--

Franzen-Datsyuk-Abdelkader

Flippula-Zetty-Nyquist

Stalberg/Tatar-Helm-Brunner

Anderrsson-Emmerton-Tootoo

Bench: Miller,Other GR Griffins. (Free Agent signings)

D.

Kronwall-Ericsson

Quincey-Smith

Colaiacovo-Kindl/DeKeyser

Bench:Lashoff (Sign UFA, Ferrence, Ryan Whitney

G.

Starter: Howard

Backup: Gustfasson? Nabokov?

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I rather give him 5mil a year than Cleary and Sammy the 5mil or Bert and Tootoo. I know you guys think he isn't worth it I am in agreement but he is a skilled top 6 player we lack those. If the money is spent on Cleary and Bert or Sammy and Cola then why not just give it to Flip and it will OPEN UP roster spots too. I am no expert but doesn't this make sense instead of keeping/re-signing washed up players?

I'm not a Flip fan, have wanted Kenny to sell high on him for a few years now. But IMO, whether or not he gets $5M or more to come back to the Wings, we're still going to get at least 3 of Cleary, Sammy, Bert, & Tootoo (quite likely all 4).

I don't see a new deal for Flip pushing Babs' favorite players out the door (well, Babcock clearly doesn't own a Tootoo jersey so he wouldn't mind if 22 was shown the door).

GrindNMuck

Jun 11, 2013
I'm not a Flip fan, have wanted Kenny to sell high on him for a few years now. But IMO, whether or not he gets $5M or more to come back to the Wings, we're still going to get at least 3 of Cleary, Sammy, Bert, & Tootoo (quite likely all 4).

I don't see a new deal for Flip pushing Babs' favorite players out the door (well, Babcock clearly doesn't own a Tootoo jersey so he wouldn't mind if 22 was shown the door).

Why in the world should the Wings get rid of Tootoo?

He's the only one on the team that will drop them and protect the team, (Abdelkader once in awhile) prefer tootoo . Thats what the wings need, they get pushed around way to much.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why in the world should the Wings get rid of Tootoo?

He's the only one on the team that will drop them and protect the team, (Abdelkader once in awhile) prefer tootoo . Thats what the wings need, they get pushed around way to much.

That isn't really what he said, it was more Babcock doesn't seem to have strong feelings for Tootoo. Pretty disappointing how he has used a guy he basically requested last off-season. Holland gave him what he asked for there and then he gave him the lowest minutes on the team.

Tootoo needs to learn to pk, going to be tough for a 30 year old, but man would it help his case moving forward. He should request it when camp opens and be given a tryout there in the pre-season and at the open of the season.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
We were kind of lucky that he didn't have his career year (or breakout year, that remains to be seen) this year instead of last. Holland would have had to pay him his 5x5+ and think many people would have wanted that.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
That isn't really what he said, it was more Babcock doesn't seem to have strong feelings for Tootoo. Pretty disappointing how he has used a guy he basically requested last off-season. Holland gave him what he asked for there and then he gave him the lowest minutes on the team.

Tootoo needs to learn to pk, going to be tough for a 30 year old, but man would it help his case moving forward. He should request it when camp opens and be given a tryout there in the pre-season and at the open of the season.

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant. And I agree with the rest of your post also. I didn't like how little he was used, and not used at all in the PO's. Seems like a waste to sit his cap hit in the press box during important games- if Babs won't play him when the games really matter, then there isn't much point in having him on the team IMO.

Don't intend to derail the Flip thread though- I'll start one for Tootoo.

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I really want him back and I think he's worth more than the vast majority of people. I think I draw the line at 5.5 mil/year before I'm upset about it.

Obviously 3.5 million/year would be great and I would be thrilled. Anything under 5.5 and I wouldn't be pissed.

Detroit Sports*

I really want him back and I think he's worth more than the vast majority of people. I think I draw the line at 5.5 mil/year before I'm upset about it.

Obviously 3.5 million/year would be great and I would be thrilled. Anything under 5.5 and I wouldn't be pissed.

No way he should get 5.5mil. I'm indifferent towards him. I don't hate him and def don't love him. But if we let him walk but re-sign Cleary and keep Bert,Tootoo,Cola and Sammy it's worse. Signing Flip should open the pipeline from GR and get the dead weight off the team IMO...

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

5.5? The Wings could bring in Chazz Michael Michaels for a third of that. And Chazz might actually crash the net instead of peeling off all the time.:laugh:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Flip failed to impress me in the playoffs. And I am so sick of the toe drag to the middle failing every game. I know I keep saying that but he keeps doing it! That said, he's not a bad player and it wouldn't be a bad thing retaining him.

Detroit Sports*

Btw I don't blame Flip for wanting 5, Sammy gets 3 is older and doesn't play...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->