Am I Savage? | Zuccarello highlight montage

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I hope Gorton is able to use Spooner and Names to make whatever moves he wants, and we have Zucc back next year.

I'm not ready to see him in a different jersey yet.

I agree @Harbour Dog - this is not a speculation topic, and I really enjoyed the video and well done @Loffen . Although if they want to compete for playoffs as early as next year - I don`t see him being moved at all. Because short term he will be too hard to replace him concerning production.

However he might be moved at the next year deadline in 2019 for better value - it all depends on the franchise policy with veteran players and their long term vision, and who we end up with concerning the 2018-19 prospects in the draft.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Ott, Phaneuf, Winnik, Bieksa and Myers.......somebody needs to tell Zuccha to pick on somebody his own size! Balls of brass. Do they have a NORWEGIAN Mafia? Anyway, he is half Italian not good enough to be made......but even still.
When all the riff Raff is gone, hope he is still standing. No one knows what to do with the puck BEFORE he gets it better than Zuccha, SO expertise unsurpassed and an underrated sniper.

Last edited:
Reactions: Loff and egelband

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Not re-signing Zuccarello would be a huge mistake. Not only has he been our best offensive player for the last 5 years, he has done so with a discount, for two contracts(!). Not only that, he's a pest to the other teams and he's great in the lockerroom to keep the morale high. Did he have a rough season? Yeah, he struggled, as did the team. That didn't stop him from being our best point producer. Again, as in so many other years. Again, at $5.5m, he earns as much as Marc Staal FFS.

Players that he plays with have career years (if they understand his game, which is simple, get into a good position to score) are traded off. Pouliot, Brassard, yet the Zuke trains goes on.

I think Zuke will be reasonable - again - when his new contract comes up. He's a fan favourite and he leaves money on the table to play here. When one of your best players consistently leaves money on the table, you're beyond stupid if you give him the foot. What kind of message does that give to the other players? Zuccarello in a rebuild is a given and I think it's ridiculous even speculating if he should be traded or not re-signed.

Zuccarello doesn't have a NMC on his contract, because frankly, he shouldn't need one. He's loyal, works hard, he lifts his teammates mentally, he makes his teammates better on the ice, he hustles like no one else and he has skill. What is the question, really? Imagine NYR and Zuccarello going to arbitration... I wouldn't like to be the representative backtalking Zuke, because you would look like a moron. "Uhm, he's small?"

I almost consider Zuccarello on NYR as integral as Hank at this point. He has given NYR so much respect while playing here. You should expect NYR to give some respect back.

Awesome video as always Loffen, because you're awesome.

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Zucc earns 4.5 mill per year, not 5.5 :) (Staal has a cap hit of 5.7 mill per year)
Holy... that only makes it worse, right? So Staal earns 1 million more for stumbling around like a fool, although I give him some credit for trying to play defense under Vigneault. And he had a better year than last year, which doesn't say much in itself.

Reactions: Ori

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Not re-signing Zuccarello would be a huge mistake. Not only has he been our best offensive player for the last 5 years, he has done so with a discount, for two contracts(!). Not only that, he's a pest to the other teams and he's great in the lockerroom to keep the morale high. Did he have a rough season? Yeah, he struggled, as did the team. That didn't stop him from being our best point producer. Again, as in so many other years. Again, at $5.5m, he earns as much as Marc Staal FFS.

Players that he plays with have career years (if they understand his game, which is simple, get into a good position to score) are traded off. Pouliot, Brassard, yet the Zuke trains goes on.

I think Zuke will be reasonable - again - when his new contract comes up. He's a fan favourite and he leaves money on the table to play here. When one of your best players consistently leaves money on the table, you're beyond stupid if you give him the foot. What kind of message does that give to the other players? Zuccarello in a rebuild is a given and I think it's ridiculous even speculating if he should be traded or not re-signed.

Zuccarello doesn't have a NMC on his contract, because frankly, he shouldn't need one. He's loyal, works hard, he lifts his teammates mentally, he makes his teammates better on the ice, he hustles like no one else and he has skill. What is the question, really? Imagine NYR and Zuccarello going to arbitration... I wouldn't like to be the representative backtalking Zuke, because you would look like a moron. "Uhm, he's small?"

I almost consider Zuccarello on NYR as integral as Hank at this point. He has given NYR so much respect while playing here. You should expect NYR to give some respect back.

Awesome video as always Loffen, because you're awesome.
Thank you for posting this. I know actual knowledgeable Rangers fans feel this way. It’s just that people on here think a guy is done when he hits 30. Zuccarello should be our captain. Give him talent and motivated players to play with and he puts up 70 points

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Thank you for posting this. I know actual knowledgeable Rangers fans feel this way. It’s just that people on here think a guy is done when he hits 30. Zuccarello should be our captain. Give him talent and motivated players to play with and he puts up 70 points

No, more like people don't see the point of hanging on to a valuable asset for a couple year rebuild when that asset is at or beyond his peak value and will only continue to decline. Why waste his last couple of really good years IF we can move him while he can bring back a 1st round pick or equivalent who will be able to help us in a year or two as we begin to contend again. I like the guy a lot. But I care more about winning a championship than holding on to a guy we like for a few more years.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Great video Loffen! You are the master! :)

Zooks will go down as one of our fans favorite Rangers players of this era. Most fans and coaches have tremendous respect for the guy. He has led us in scoring over the last 5 years. That is pretty darn good coming from a undersized undrafted free agent. I will always root for him just like I still root for Hags, Brass, Dan, JT, etc now. These are guys that made me proud to be a Rangers fan. They will always be Rangers in my eyes. As great as Zooks has been as a Ranger player he also seems to be a great guy off the ice.

Reactions: anofsti and Loff

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Holy... that only makes it worse, right? So Staal earns 1 million more for stumbling around like a fool, although I give him some credit for trying to play defense under Vigneault. And he had a better year than last year, which doesn't say much in itself.
Yes true Staal had a good season - he was +11 I think as a shutdown defender C+ or B- for me if I should grade him from A-F.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
No, more like people don't see the point of hanging on to a valuable asset for a couple year rebuild when that asset is at or beyond his peak value and will only continue to decline. Why waste his last couple of really good years IF we can move him while he can bring back a 1st round pick or equivalent who will be able to help us in a year or two as we begin to contend again. I like the guy a lot. But I care more about winning a championship than holding on to a guy we like for a few more years.
Because you don't want to do a rebuild like Edmonton, lose all veteran experience and let a bunch of kids get stomped into the ice every game, every season. You still need a mix of veterans and kids in a rebuild. Otherwise the whole winning culture is gone, you can't manage that like a switch. You need guys like Lundqvist and Zuccarello, who can be role models for younger players, who can teach them about the commitment you have to take to be successful and the mental part of being an NHL player.

In other words, you still want a couple of veterans with good or excellent careers, not only veterans to be fillers.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Because you don't want to do a rebuild like Edmonton, lose all veteran experience and let a bunch of kids get stomped into the ice every game, every season. You still need a mix of veterans and kids in a rebuild. Otherwise the whole winning culture is gone, you can't manage that like a switch. You need guys like Lundqvist and Zuccarello, who can be role models for younger players, who can teach them about the commitment you have to take to be successful and the mental part of being an NHL player.

In other words, you still want a couple of veterans with good or excellent careers, not only veterans to be fillers.

They can avoid being like Edmonton and provide even better veteran experience all while still moving Zuccarello.

He is not Mark Messier.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
They can avoid being like Edmonton and provide even better veteran experience all while still moving Zuccarello.

He is not Mark Messier.

Exactly. I never suggested fielding a team of 20 year olds. Zucc should be moved if the return is right...and he should be replaced with a UFA veteran who brings some leadership. As much as I'm a Zucc fan, keeping him would be a case of poor asset management.

YetAnotherNorwegian

Nov 1, 2010
Ott, Phaneuf, Winnik, Bieksa and Myers.......somebody needs to tell Zuccha to pick on somebody his own size! Balls of brass. Do they have a swedish Mafia? Anyway, he is half Italian not good enough to be made......but even still.
When all the riff Raff is gone, hope he is still standing. No one knows what to do with the puck BEFORE he gets it better than Zuccha, SO expertise unsurpassed and an underrated sniper.

I apologize for nitpicking, but this is somewhat of a pet peeve for me :)

We are not from Sweden!

Sincerely,
All Norwegians

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Exactly. I never suggested fielding a team of 20 year olds. Zucc should be moved if the return is right...and he should be replaced with a UFA veteran who brings some leadership. As much as I'm a Zucc fan, keeping him would be a case of poor asset management.
On the contrary. Showing Zuccarello the door is very poor asset management, because you clearly show the players they should never give a discount to the team, because management won't give a damn, ever. They should do exactly like Dubinsky and Callahan instead and demand as much money as they can and never look back. As management gives zero shit about you, as should you always return the favour, I guess.

The guy has played on two (!) discount contracts, almost had a fatal head injury playing playoff hockey for this franchise, lead the team in scoring basically every year he's been here, you trade him away because it's convenient and then you plan to replace him with some overpriced mercenary UFA, who's supposed to teach the younger players team loyalty and what it takes to win? Ok.

I thought that kind of culture was a thing NYR wanted to move away from. Not that I would be surprised if this is exactly what will happen, as NYR has a history of treating its players like something the cat dragged in when it suited them.

Reactions: Loff

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'm sorry, all pro-keeping Zucc is rationalizing by posters who have emotional attachments the player, which people are allowing to outweigh their emotional attachment to the team.

1) The team is rebuilding, and not expected to compete while he is on his current contract.
2) He is an UFA next summer.
3) He is a valuable asset who could help in the rebuilding effort.
4) He is square in the middle of his prime, and how long he can continue to play at a similar level is very much up for debate based on historical precedent.

It is CLEAR he should be dealt. Any arguments to the contrary are based on either exceptions to the rule, irrational loyalty, and/or, let's be honest, national pride by our Norwegian posters. And it would be the epitome of bad management to make decisions based on any of those.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
On the contrary. Showing Zuccarello the door is very poor asset management, because you clearly show the players they should never give a discount to the team, because management won't give a damn, ever. They should do exactly like Dubinsky and Callahan instead and demand as much money as they can and never look back. As management gives zero **** about you, as should you always return the favour, I guess.

The guy has played on two (!) discount contracts, almost had a fatal head injury playing playoff hockey for this franchise, lead the team in scoring basically every year he's been here, you trade him away because it's convenient and then you plan to replace him with some overpriced mercenary UFA, who's supposed to teach the younger players team loyalty and what it takes to win? Ok.

I thought that kind of culture was a thing NYR wanted to move away from. Not that I would be surprised if this is exactly what will happen, as NYR has a history of treating its players like something the cat dragged in when it suited them.
Agents and players see what goes on with guys contracts. If you trade a player after he took multiple below market contracts other players/agents will notice. Don't expect much loyalty from players when they want a new deal if you do not show any loyalty back to any of your players. If Zooks is dealt I hope he ends up signing with Pitt to be with Brass (and Hags) or with Tampa to be with JT, Mcd, and Dan. So we can watch them all make their runs for the cup.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Players and agents will give zero f***s about what the Rangers decide to do with Zucc when it comes to their own contract negotiations.

Jesus f***ing Christ the mental gymnastics in here to try and justify keeping Zucc beyond this contract is unlike anything I've ever seen before. I hope he does sign with Pittsburgh or Tampa after his deal is up, they'll likely be inking him to a Callahan-esque deal and that will be perfect by the time this team is ready to compete again.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Players and agents will give zero ****s about what the Rangers decide to do with Zucc when it comes to their own contract negotiations.

Jesus ****ing Christ the mental gymnastics in here to try and justify keeping Zucc beyond this contract is unlike anything I've ever seen before. I hope he does sign with Pittsburgh or Tampa after his deal is up, they'll likely be inking him to a Callahan-esque deal and that will be perfect by the time this team is ready to compete again.
Which is why the NHL will never be anything more than an entertainment business and not a legit sports league. Too many European players don't understand that they are hired entertainment assets, not athletes first and most, even if they grew up in legit sports leagues where they were considered athletes from the start.

Zuke should never have given discounts as an entertainment product, it was naive of him to believe he plays in a sports league. Maybe he will grow wise enough to understand this and never do this mistake again. He should behave like a normal, American narcissist when he is diminished into a company entity.
Agents and players see what goes on with guys contracts. If you trade a player after he took multiple below market contracts other players/agents will notice. Don't expect much loyalty from players when they want a new deal if you do not show any loyalty back to any of your players. If Zooks is dealt I hope he ends up signing with Pitt to be with Brass (and Hags) or with Tampa to be with JT, Mcd, and Dan. So we can watch them all make their runs for the cup.
For sure. If fans think this would go unnoticed, go ahead and cheer. Circumstances like this sets a tone for what the franchise stands for.

Last edited:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
If you have never experienced legit, open competition where teams get demoted if they suck, I can understand you have never experienced what actual sports competition is about. Only how sports entertainment looks like. Then you don't understand what that means to the players - who don't consider themselves entertainment products. American sports are a massive entertainment industry, not actual sports leagues. They might call themselves sports leagues, but that's more of the PR label, not how they actually function at its core.

In all other actual sports leagues, all over the world, the teams that suck have to claw their way back to the highest division again, they're not rewarded with the opportunity to poach the world's best talent for coffee money and can't pretend like their lousy season didn't matter.

But sure, pretend like the American entertainment businesses are the world norm and call them sports leagues, because they would like to. It's a joke and if Zuccarello is traded for "convenience", it all but cements this understanding.

Last edited:

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Amazing vid, Loffen.

I want to add picks (or possibly move up) in this particular draft as much as the next person, but I'll be relieved if we get through draft day and Zucc is still a Ranger. And hope it stays that way.

Reactions: Loff and NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
For sure. If fans think this would go unnoticed, go ahead and cheer. Circumstances like this sets a tone for what the franchise stands for.
Don Meehan and his Newport Group represents a large amount of NHL players. You can be sure the Newport Group looks at how its players are treated in regards to future deals. That is not to say that Zooks can not be traded. Most NHL players can be traded including Zooks. It is to say that the Newport Group is likely to push for either a full market deal in the future or a no trade clause incorporated in to any team favorable deals in the future if a player is not treated well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->