Player Discussion Alzner

Status
Not open for further replies.

beanmachine

Apr 14, 2018
How is that fair? I'm comparing what these players were in Montreal. I don't care what Weise does in Philly or what Shaw did in Chicago.
im just saying maybe he wasnt as good as we had though, the weise trade was one of the good MB trades we got a 2nd rounder for that plug and danault

Last edited:

beanmachine

Apr 14, 2018
To be honest, anyone who thinks trading for Shaw and seeing him signed to that contract simply refuses to face reality. He has sucked from day one. Another move that needed more thought. Horrible
yes the trade was bad i can admit that but i personally enjoy watching shaw play is that such a crime

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Just so I've got this straight. Bergy dumped Markov, Emelin, Subban for Weber,Alzner, Benn. And we haven't won a cup? Madness.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Benn 1.1 million, Alzner 4.6 million. Their play tells me they should both be paid 1.1...

In an era of an NHL which is seeing the game become about skating and puck movement you cannot pay 4.6 mil for a “stay at home D man”!!!

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
yes the trade was bad i can admit that but i personally enjoy watching shaw play is that such a crime

Aside from what the team needs, it's also a matter of taste. I can't stand watching Shaw play. He can't stick handle. This year the game is much different than the game even last year. The enforcement of the rule that you can't hook an opponent's hands, that allows players who can handle the puck to flourish. It also leaves players who can't in the dust.

I remember hearing so many former players complain last year that the game was not fun to watch as it resembled pin ball. That has changed a lot this year. I haven't heard one person complain about that. Shaw's a pinball player. I can't stand watching pin ball players. I'd rather watch Kane, Panarin, Barzal, etc... and dept guys like Sheary, Rust, and Guentzel.

Chicago thought they were no longer winning because they lacked grit. So they traded Panarin for Saad. Bad move. They're no longer winning because the game has changed and they're not the most skilled team. The game has passed their style by.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Alzner 4.625
Benn 1.1

Total of 5.725, exactly what Markov was making. I would have told Markov let's keep you at your salary and let's go 1 year at a time. With reduced minutes and proper use he could have been a very effective weapon.
At 1.1mil you keep Benn. Its Schlemko at 2.1mil and a 5th round picks that was more of a problem. Alzner and Schlemko is 6.7mil for a amazing 18 points. I think Markov gets double that if he had played 70 games.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
they got 2 seconds for eller at the draft so it was essentially shaw for eller which is not as bad looking at it this way

This is the Alzner thread and not the Shaw thread so i'll end here but i'm so tired of this logic.

I was fine with trading Eller because Danault could take his spot and the money could be better spent on an elite player while the club now has multiple 2nd round picks to use for a trade or to draft. Instead they clog up their cap savings on another middle six player that isn't going to help the top six and is overrated to hell. I don't want Eller for Shaw. I want Eller for two 2nd round picks and keep the two 2nd round picks we have. I'm sick of $4 million dollar half point per game forwards and $4 million dollar slugs like Alzner and Emelin. That's not depth. That's buying two orders of mozzarella sticks and saying it's no different to the steak entree.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Benn 1.1 million, Alzner 4.6 million. Their play tells me they should both be paid 1.1...

In an era of an NHL which is seeing the game become about skating and puck movement you cannot pay 4.6 mil for a “stay at home D man”!!!
And a garbage one at that.

Alzner is worth the 4.6 mil for every team playing against us. We are paying him to help them win.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
MB Math: 1st line Attitude + 3rd line Skills = 2nd line player

2nd line duties are too much. Would have been ok on the bottom line pairing with a bottom line contract.
“Attitude”

Bergevin is 20 years behind everything, in hockey trends and wrestling branding.

Alzner is probably the worst of all of Bergevin’s moves, and that’s a special achievement.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Everyone knew Alzner was finished in last year's playoffs.

Most TV analysts were positive on the signing. Said it replaced Emelin.

Most off TV were screaming how bad it was.

Check this and the signing thread to see people positive for it and argue in favour. Same goes for the Hemsky and Streit signings.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Alzner is probably the worst of all of Bergevin’s moves, and that’s a special achievement.

Alzner reminds me of Josh Georges signing - 3.9m for 6 years in 2012. Heart and soul player who can't even keep a regular spot on a awful Sabres team. Somehow managed to flip "Captain Kelowna" to Buffalo for a 2nd. Can we find another sucker for Alzner?

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
“Attitude”

Bergevin is 20 years behind everything, in hockey trends and wrestling branding.

Hahaha that's great - that's where Marc got it from, eh? He thinks the 'attitude era' in wrestling was good for he's trying to coin it here. Well lets hope that means that Shea Weber will walk up to Bergevin and kick him in the gut - followed by a stone cold stunner!

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Alzner 4.625
Benn 1.1

Total of 5.725, exactly what Markov was making. I would have told Markov let's keep you at your salary and let's go 1 year at a time. With reduced minutes and proper use he could have been a very effective weapon.

Markov is very quiet - so quiet and mysterious that he is impossible to negotiate with. So we really had no chance of getting him back.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Markov is very quiet - so quiet and mysterious that he is impossible to negotiate with. So we really had no chance of getting him back.
Would have been so easy:

Hello Marky, would you like to join me for a nice meal.

Marky, i'm ready to keep you at your current salary (5.75mil), let's take it one season at a time. We wan't you to finish your career here.

Hand shake, shot of vodka, done deal, everybody wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->