Player Discussion Alzner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'd be ecstatic if Alzner is a steady top-4 D that gets 30+ points a year.

Alzner career high (21 points) is lower or equal to any Hamrlik year except his last 2 (68 and 16 games) and the one earlier on when he played 37 games.

He doesn't play any PP so his point totals are lower than most top 4 D point totals are.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
He doesn't play any PP so his point totals are lower than most top 4 D point totals are.

Not being able to PP, is the reason why hell cap at 20 points if lucky. It's not like if it's a personal choice for him not to play on the PP, it's because he can't.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

So we will be needing pleks on the point again :shakehead yeah this D core is solid. Solid like a constipated turd. We do everything we can to get decent guys on the point, because we had to learn the hardway about it, and MB flushes 3 LHD that all could play on the PP in one off season.
cf4afac9410f7440943a70a7fdcaf7aac9a6adf2ef5d33e47cc94bafdbad2c88.jpg

Reactions: OldCraig71

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
So we will be needing pleks on the point again :shakehead yeah this D core is solid. Solid like a constipated turd. We do everything we can to get decent guys on the point, because we had to learn the hardway about it, and MB flushes 3 LHD that all could play on the PP in one off season.
cf4afac9410f7440943a70a7fdcaf7aac9a6adf2ef5d33e47cc94bafdbad2c88.jpg

Drouin will be on the point .....

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well, he just got one but he can't open jars so you don't like him. :)

I'd like him at last year's salary. :)

Or a reasonable facsimile, who isn't a UFA.

Or a homegrown specimen, that you call up during his cost-controlled years, like the Caps did with Alzner and let the next team pay for his raise. :)

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I think he will be just fine here
He doesn't have the offensive side to his game but I'm happy if he can play solid defensively and make sure no one touches Carey

Weber and Alzner back to back on the ice is not something other teams will like to play against.

Now they just need some offensive partners and solid skaters with them as a duo

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Yeah, overpay and give term to physically battered defensive defensemen. They're in short supply, haven't you heard.

Dramatic Gorges-clone fan, I see. :)

Guy still hasn't missed a regular season game in 7 years, is only 28, and some of you guys are ready to take him behind the shed for a sympathy put-down, lol. I think I'll wait until I see if it's something that can't be effectively rehabbed over the course of next year before I pronounce him dead.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Guy still hasn't missed a regular season game in 7 years, is only 28, and some of you guys are ready to take him behind the shed for a sympathy put-down, lol. I think I'll wait until I see if it's something that can't be effectively rehabbed over the course of next year before I pronounce him dead.

Another jarring comment. :sarcasm:

Are you a coroner?

He's certainly serviceable but not the type of D the Habs needed. And not at the price and term that they paid. He's a player that a successful org. is able to develop from a low draft pick and then use him during his cost controlled years. The fact that the Habs feel compelled to go out and buy a defensive defenceman is more a testament to their failure from a drafting and development standpoint.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Are you a coroner?

He's certainly serviceable but not the type of D the Habs needed. And not at the price and term that they paid. He's a player that a successful org. is able to develop from a low draft pick and then use him during his cost controlled years. The fact that the Habs feel compelled to go out and buy a defensive defenceman is more a testament to their failure from a drafting and development standpoint.

I wouldn't even go that far. He's the type of defenseman the league as a whole has been moving away from for years now. And when teams do target D like him, they usually pay an AAV around half of what Montreal paid.

Bergevin's obsession with non-mobile, risk-adverse D is like a basketball exec being enamoured with iso or the triangle.

Reactions: Peanut

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Are you a coroner?

How is he not the perfect Dman to pair with Petry in a minute eating role?

There is nothing wrong with the term or price either. 4.65m AAV is nothing these days, and we're getting him for his age 29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 years. Those are prime years for a defensive dman.

VladTheLimpWhaler

Dec 4, 2015
Edmonton, AB
I wouldn't even go that far. He's the type of defenseman the league as a whole has been moving away from for years now. And when teams do target D like him, they usually pay an AAV around half of what Montreal paid.

Bergevin's obsession with non-mobile, risk-adverse D is like a basketball exec being enamoured with iso or the triangle.

Not this nonsense again. When will these ridiculous prophecies about where the league is heading finally end? No matter how popular mobile defensemen get, and no matter how much their fanboys overvalue them, there will always be room in the NHL for smart, physical, defensive defensemen. Always.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, overpay and give term to physically battered defensive defensemen. They're in short supply, haven't you heard.

Dramatic Gorges-clone fan, I see. :)

I disagree on all fronts. He's neither physically done, nor is he overpayed or is it a bad term.

Also Gorges was, and always will be, physically overmatched in the NHL. He's got a ton of heart, but that doesn't change his physical limitations. Alzner on the other hand physically overmatches opponents. He's simply bigger and stronger than 99% of forwards.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I disagree on all fronts. He's neither physically done, nor is he overpayed or is it a bad term.

Also Gorges was, and always will be, physically overmatched in the NHL. He's got a ton of heart, but that doesn't change his physical limitations. Alzner on the other hand physically overmatches opponents. He's simply bigger and stronger than 99% of forwards.

He's big but not overly physical, from what I've read.

Did we really need another defensive defenceman, though? Is this why the Habs lost in the first round of the playoffs in the past season? Not enough defence, right?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Did we really need another defensive defenceman, though? Is this why the Habs lost in the first round of the playoffs in the past season? Not enough defence, right?

He's not gonna blow guys up like Emelin, but he'll use his body to punish forwards down low and seperate them from the puck. That's what you want.

Look who we have up front in Galchenyuk and Drouin. 2 young top end offensive talents who struggle defensively. We'll get our offence from letting those 2 loose. How do you let them loose? By having quality veteran defenceman out there insulating them.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
How is he not the perfect Dman to pair with Petry in a minute eating role?

There is nothing wrong with the term or price either. 4.65m AAV is nothing these days, and we're getting him for his age 29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 years. Those are prime years for a defensive dman.

Those are actually the post-prime years of defensive D-men. Gorges, Staal, Girardi, Bieksa, Emelin all saw their games decline at that age.

the perfect type of D to pair with Petry is a more mobile defensive defenseman that can close gaps and not get blown past.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

With Emelin gone we definitely needed a solid defensive D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->