Waived: Alzner waived again

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Don't forget Therrien....letting Markov and Radulov both walk..........there have been alot of huge mistakes. MB is in over his head. 7 years and counting...........oh I know he had a great summer, so we are suppose to forget he is like a broken clock.
You seem to have forgotten that we’ve had multiple 100pt+ seasons and ECF appearance.

Seems like a case of selective remembering. You are hypnotized by a few bad seasons but conveniently forgot the good ones.

We ran with a core and didn’t win....now that core is gone, cue a two year transition, now we running with a new one.....

Welcome to the N.W.O

Last edited:
Reactions: CoupeStanley

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Can't see that myself, he's so bad defensively, and doesn't produce like a 7M$/season D should produce. Even for Alzner...

well..he is only a $5.3 million cap hit in LA cause OTT is eating some of his salary...."IF" LA was to eat some more of his cap..and Dion was a 3 million cap hit?? his contract is near up only 2 yrs left

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
well..he is only a $5.3 million cap hit in LA cause OTT is eating some of his salary...."IF" LA was to eat some more of his cap..and Dion was a 3 million cap hit?? his contract is near up only 2 yrs left

Forgot about the Sens eating a portion of it.

But, even then, I think he'd get the same treatment as Alzner, damn he's bad in his own zone.

Reactions: Runner77

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
I had forgoten about him already.

He's overpaid while the team isn't spending anywhere close to the cap. So that just means Molson is wasting money. I don't care.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Forgot about the Sens eating a portion of it.

But, even then, I think he'd get the same treatment as Alzner, damn he's bad in his own zone.

only reason i say that, Bergy was interested in him before he went to LA..rumours was out there ......so ya never know espically in a buy low type deal..Dion was made to play in Canadian markets..he even said so he loves playing in Canada...he was good with Leafs and Ott....but not worth 7 ..no...

At a price ya roll the dice..

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
You seem to have forgotten that we’ve had multiple 100pt+ seasons and ECF appearance.

Seems like a case of selective remembering. You are hypnotized by a few bad seasons but conveniently forgot the good ones.

We ran with a core and didn’t win....now that core is gone, cue a two year transition, now we running with a new one.....

Welcome to the N.W.O
You also seem to have selective memory...
The team he inherited, was a better team than he created after six seasons............let's hope as we move forward, we can have better success ala last summer.

Moves like Ahlzner, are fuel for fire against MB, because he was so convinced he did something real good, when most knew he did not.

You like MB, and I don't....no big deal. To each is own...

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Don't think so. It's better to just buy Alzner out.
Buyout really shouldn't be considered.

If Habs buy out Alzner this summer, with 3 years left on his deal, we'll then have him on the books for six years.

I'll confess I can't follow how the calcs work but in the first three years Alzner's cap hit would vary year to year (presumably due to year to year differences in base salary and signing bonuses).

Per CapFriendly, Alzner's cap hit post buyout would be 1.1M in 2019-20, then 4.2M and 2.2M, then the next three years 1.1M.

So the biggest savings (ca. 3.5M) come in 2019-20, when the team might not need the relief (if the last two years running 8-9M under the cap is any indication). Year 2 we get marginal relief and year 3 save about 2.4M. Then we have three extra years where he counts for 1M against the cap vs. just burying him in the minors and letting his contract just run out.

I've said before there are only two reasons to buy him out this year. One, to be fair to the player and let him try to catch on with another team, and two, to remove the constant reminder of his awful contract.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
You also seem to have selective memory...
The team he inherited, was a better team than he created after six seasons............let's hope as we move forward, we can have better success ala last summer.

Moves like Ahlzner, are fuel for fire against MB, because he was so convinced he did something real good, when most knew he did not.

You like MB, and I don't....no big deal. To each is own...
The team he inherited finished 28th overall.....Price was top 10 in nothing, no big centres and he had 4 yrs of drafting that produced Gallagher!!!!....oh, I know exactly what he inherited.

What was coming through the pipes??

Oh that’s right!!.....

Engqvist
Dumont
St-Denis
Leblanc
Palushaj
Geoffrion

Nothing like these players coming to the rescue from the farm

In junior was Tinordi and Beaulieu....so much to offer other teams when you want to trade for talent cause god knows not many UFA’s of significance sign here.

But who else did he inherit besides Subban, Pacioretty, Markov, Price cause when you inherit a team, it’s more than just the 4 star players...

Blunder
Gomez
Kaberle
Diaz
Desharnais
Darche
Campoli
Bourque
Gill
Gorges
Moen
Webber

And he inherited a 3rd overall pick Galchenyuk, and we all remember who he wanted to actually pick right....???.....Morgan Reilly, the player he was so ridiculed of wanting to pick...YA!!!!...anyways.....

Now imagine (you won’t have an issue doing this) Bergevin gets fired....stay with me....new GM inherits....you ready??

Domi
Tatar
Kotkaniemi
Danault
Gallagher
Price
Weber
Petry
Drouin
Armia
Lehkonen
Mete
Byron
Shaw

Your meh players are on that bottom line and I’ll add Benn, Reilly and Kulak

On the farm it don’t look like Death Valley, Vejdemo, Juulsen, Evans and Fleury, it’s ok and better than what he had coming in.

Prospects

Poehling
Suzuki
Romanov
Ylonen
Ikonen
Brook

And to a lesser extent

Fonstad
McShane
Hillis

Oh, and 10 picks....and 7m$ bellow the cap

Now I ask you, who’s in better shape moving forward, old team, or new team?

Last edited:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Welcome to the N.W.O

More like, welcome to A brave new world, a subtle hockey dystopia where the value system has been distorted from let's win the cup to let's make sure we make profit.

Soma=playoffs

Reactions: Walrus26

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
More like, welcome to A brave new world, a subtle hockey dystopia where the value system has been distorted from let's win the cup to let's make sure we make profit.

Soma=playoffs
If it was let’s make profit at all cost, they would’ve spent to the cap the last two years and not sold off their players for picks.

They have the 5th youngest team, under the cap and have a solid pool of prospects, oh, and they’re winning and are going toe to toe with the likes of Boston, Toronto, Nashville, Washington, Pittsburgh, San Jose

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Buyout really shouldn't be considered.

If Habs buy out Alzner this summer, with 3 years left on his deal, we'll then have him on the books for six years.

I'll confess I can't follow how the calcs work but in the first three years Alzner's cap hit would vary year to year (presumably due to year to year differences in base salary and signing bonuses).

Per CapFriendly, Alzner's cap hit post buyout would be 1.1M in 2019-20, then 4.2M and 2.2M, then the next three years 1.1M.

So the biggest savings (ca. 3.5M) come in 2019-20, when the team might not need the relief (if the last two years running 8-9M under the cap is any indication). Year 2 we get marginal relief and year 3 save about 2.4M. Then we have three extra years where he counts for 1M against the cap vs. just burying him in the minors and letting his contract just run out.

I've said before there are only two reasons to buy him out this year. One, to be fair to the player and let him try to catch on with another team, and two, to remove the constant reminder of his awful contract.

This is why buying out Alzner makes total sense at the end of the year.

Nobody will take Alzner without giving back an equally bad contract, so you are back to square one but I suppose its better than embarrassing the player. But, you hope the player coming back with the awful contract you inherit becomes useful. If he doesn't, then there is no purpose of trading for another terrible contract. Getting Lucic or Eriksson is equally bad. I don't see Lucic rebouncing. Eriksson just looks done. Toronto can probably give you Marleau and Horton but let's be honest, Alzner makes zero sense for the Leafs.

Having 1.1 mil cap hit for the buyout in the final 3 years is not so bad. By then, the cap will have increased significantly. This gives the chance for Alzner to try with another team. The Habs don't have any major players to sign until 2019-2020, having 4.2 million cap hit is not so bad for a year. Domi and Mete would only be important players to sign, if they are still with the Habs.

Dumping Alzner in the minors means you have about 3.5 mil of your cap dedicated to a player in the AHL for the next 3 years. It's embarrassing to the player calling him up and down and placing him on waivers back and fourth. Just send him to Laval for the next 3 years remaining and cut your losses.

He just cleared, so hopefully he stays in Laval for good.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
This is why buying out Alzner makes total sense at the end of the year.

Nobody will take Alzner without giving back an equally bad contract, so you are back to square one but I suppose its better than embarrassing the player. But, you hope the player coming back with the awful contract you inherit becomes useful. If he doesn't, then there is no purpose of trading for another terrible contract. Getting Lucic or Eriksson is equally bad. I don't see Lucic rebouncing. Eriksson just looks done. Toronto can probably give you Marleau and Horton but let's be honest, Alzner makes zero sense for the Leafs.

Having 1.1 mil cap hit for the buyout in the final 3 years is not so bad. By then, the cap will have increased significantly. This gives the chance for Alzner to try with another team. The Habs don't have any major players to sign until 2019-2020, having 4.2 million cap hit is not so bad for a year. Domi and Mete would only be important players to sign, if they are still with the Habs.

Dumping Alzner in the minors means you have about 3.5 mil of your cap dedicated to a player in the AHL for the next 3 years. It's embarrassing to the player calling him up and down and placing him on waivers back and fourth. Just send him to Laval for the next 3 years remaining and cut your losses.

He just cleared, so hopefully he stays in Laval for good.

You focus on the player being embarassed. Alzner is a pro and knows what he signed for, the nhl is a business. There's no prejudice, I don't see where the problem is other than the team is stuck with a bad contract. Alzner is laughing his way to the bank. Sure it hurts his ego, but real world problems are much worse than that. He can't play nhl hockey anymore, big deal, every good thing comes to an end.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
You focus on the player being embarassed. Alzner is a pro and knows what he signed for, the nhl is a business. There's no prejudice, I don't see where the problem is other than the team is stuck with a bad contract. Alzner is laughing his way to the bank. Sure it hurts his ego, but real world problems are much worse than that. He can't play nhl hockey anymore, big deal, every good thing comes to an end.
Unfortunately, he is laughing his way to the bank. Another MB blunder.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
So much trouble in the LVL, must be hard getting sent back to the AHL...

Praying for my man K Luv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad