Waived: Alzner waived again

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I hated this signing since day 1. It was embarassing to pay that much money on a 7th defenseman,

Alzner getting scratched by the Caps during the playoffs before the Habs signed him should've been clue number 1 to the Habs pro scouts that signing this guy for 5 years was gonna be a terrible idea. Hopefully a lesson learned and not repeated by MB.

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
With all the teams that can use a defenseman, you would think someone would take a chance on him. They don't have to give up anything . I don't know what MB was thinking with this move. We have terrible scouts. Bad decisions like that will make or break your team.

Reactions: Runner77

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Wow...........again, what is the end game here guys? Goes back to Laval, and stays the rest of the season?? I just can't let MB off the hook here, he should have NEVER been signed. It's not just a mistake, it was huge incompetence.

The one thing is for sure, CJ does not want him in the NHL playing for the Habs. Kudos to CJ on this one..............

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
With all the teams that can use a defenseman, you would think someone would take a chance on him. They don't have to give up anything . I don't know what MB was thinking with this move. We have terrible scouts. Bad decisions like that will make or break your team.

I can't comment on other teams' actual strategy and plans, but only 21 of 31 teams have more than 2 contract spots open. If they take Alzner, they lose a spot which may not seem like a big deal, but they lose a spot for a potential signing or if they take on extra players from a trade.

Now, of those 21 teams, only 9 have the projected cap space (assume no roster changes and no cap change) to accommodate Alzner's contract beyond this season.

Of those 9, one of them are the Canadiens. the other is NYR, who are rebuilding as is Vancouver, another team. Of the remaining 6, no idea if he fits into WIN, NSH, PHI, COL, NJD or CAR's plans.

Now, trading for Alzner is a different story, but simply grabbing him off waivers isn't so easy (without knowing another team's medium-term goals).

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Wow...........again, what is the end game here guys? Goes back to Laval, and stays the rest of the season?? I just can't let MB off the hook here, he should have NEVER been signed. It's not just a mistake, it was huge incompetence.

The one thing is for sure, CJ does not want him in the NHL playing for the Habs. Kudos to CJ on this one..............
They are trying to embarrass him into retirement.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

There's no way a team would take on his contract imo. He's making 6M this year, is owed 11.125M after this season over 3 years. He looks slow in the AHL, just don't see a team using up 4.625M in cap space for the 3 years after this season, let alone paying him over 11M to be a 7th D or AHLer.

Reactions: Holystik

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
There's no way a team would take on his contract imo. He's making 6M this year, is owed 11.125M after this season over 3 years. He looks slow in the AHL, just don't see a team using up 4.625M in cap space for the 3 years after this season, let alone paying him over 11M to be a 7th D or AHLer.

I forgot how nasty that contract was. I guess we are stuck buying him out at some point.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

It was a mistake, no doubt, incompetence.....??......you calling him an incompetent moron because of a bad signing, or was it just that, a bad signing??

These type of deals are done every single year, every gm has done this type of deal.

Jim Rutherford signed Semin to a stupid stupid contract.......fast forward 1yr and he wins a cup with Pittsburgh.

Go figure.......but no doubt, Alzner is Bergevin’s biggest mistake, followed by Lebfevre and what he gave for Shaw

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
He's getting his old job back!!!

quesYN6.gif

this is amazing :laugh:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's getting his old job back!!!

quesYN6.gif

He's making 4.7 million dollars a year to play hockey for a living in one of the best leagues in the world - a league that any of us would die to play in over whatever rec league we play in now, have ever played in, and will ever play in.

Compared to his life, we're the ones working at McDonalds :P

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Simple, MB can't find any takers. The Habs are desperate. They should just stop embarrassing the player, keep him in Laval and buy him out next year. A trade will equally involve another bad contract coming back.

Jul 6, 2016
Simple, MB can't find any takers. The Habs are desperate. They should just stop embarrassing the player, keep him in Laval and buy him out next year. A trade will equally involve another bad contract coming back.

would you trade Alzner for Lucic ? Or Erickson in Vancouver ?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It was a mistake, no doubt, incompetence.....??......you calling him an incompetent moron because of a bad signing, or was it just that, a bad signing??

These type of deals are done every single year, every gm has done this type of deal.

Jim Rutherford signed Semin to a stupid stupid contract.......fast forward 1yr and he wins a cup with Pittsburgh.

Go figure.......but no doubt, Alzner is Bergevin’s biggest mistake, followed by Lebfevre and what he gave for Shaw
Don't forget Therrien....letting Markov and Radulov both walk..........there have been alot of huge mistakes. MB is in over his head. 7 years and counting...........oh I know he had a great summer, so we are suppose to forget he is like a broken clock.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Don't forget Therrien....letting Markov and Radulov both walk..........there have been alot of huge mistakes. MB is in over his head. 7 years and counting...........oh I know he had a great summer, so we are suppose to forget he is like a broken clock.
We passed on Markov, radulov's leaving was on him. We offered him fair market value and he chose Dallas over us. That's what UFA's do and it was clear he was going to the free agent market the day he signed a one year deal.

I'm glad we didn't over pay to keep him

Reactions: NORiculous

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We passed on Markov, radulov's leaving was on him. We offered him fair market value and he chose Dallas over us. That's what UFA's do and it was clear he was going to the free agent market the day he signed a one year deal.

I'm glad we didn't over pay to keep him
The thread is about Ahlzner, and the major mistake he was............Bergevin is a moron of a GM, but I don't want to derail this thread.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The thread is about Ahlzner, and the major mistake he was............Bergevin is a moron of a GM, but I don't want to derail this thread.
But you said we passed on radulov.
That's demonstrably untrue.
If you want to amend your earlier comment, fine by me.
But you should not be able to say things that are not true and when it's pointed out say that you don't want to get into for fear of derailing the thread.

MB has made enough gaffes on his own that there is no need to invent more. We looked at radulov, said you are worth this much, offered it to him. He signed for the same offer in Dallas. That's HIS doing, not bergevins,

Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->