Always wanted to know......

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
When a team loses , and you go in the room,
the players know what players tried, and which ones are out for just a skate.

after tonight, backs against the wall....

what players in that room, just coasted, and how do the ones that really care react?

As a GM , how do you measure that?

You hate to lose, but lose and not trying, really adds salt in the wound.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
The players definitely know. That's a large reason how bad blood forms between teammates. You come into the room all pissed off after busting your ass all night just for a loss, drenched in sweat, and you look over to see the guy beside you take his helmet off, not a bead of sweat on him and not giving a **** about the loss. Talking from experience, you definitely notice who floats and doesn't care.

Analyzer*

Tokarski steps out and the rest of the players just slap the **** out of each other for being useless.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't think there is one player that didn't try. We played 13games in 29 days. We're not talking about easy games versus Florida here. We're talking about very tough, hard fought games. That's after going through an 82 game season.
Fans just watch the games and then relax in between each one.
I think it's important to take things into perspective.
Not every player can just keep going, going, and going. I know it's crazy to think, but maybe the guys you feel ''didn't show up'' are just humanly tired, you know?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
so who then is the dude, that would piss you off in the room tonight?

Big list. Pacioretty, Plekanec, Gionta, and Vanek being at the top of it.

I don't see how players like Gallagher, Subban, and even Weaver, who constantly are busting their *****, putting their bodies on the line, and giving 100%, can honestly look some of those guys in the eyes and say "You worked just as hard as I did, good job". They may be great teammates, but deep down, they know that the guys like Pacioretty and Vanek let them down. I mean ****, Patches was a damned ghost, and Vanek wouldn't even go into the corner to get a free puck because he was scared he might get hurt.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I don't think there is one player that didn't try. We played 13games in 29 days. We're not talking about easy games versus Florida here. We're talking about very tough, hard fought games. That's after going through an 82 game season.
Fans just watch the games and then relax in between each one.
I think it's important to take things into perspective.
Not every player can just keep going, going, and going. I know it's crazy to think, but maybe the guys you feel ''didn't show up'' are just humanly tired, you know?

Yes that is true. But how do the hawks do it

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I've been on teams that lose big games they could have won. I'd be pretty sure that the players aren't pointing fingers and aren't mad at their teammates. You play with your team that often and they become a family, as cliche as that sounds. You win as one and you lose as one.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
I've been on teams that lose big games they could have won. I'd be pretty sure that the players aren't pointing fingers and aren't mad at their teammates. You play with your team that often and they become a family, as cliche as that sounds. You win as one and you lose as one.

Same here

Teams that have good chemistry and team spirit speak with "We" and "us" and not "I" or "You"

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yes that is true. But how do the hawks do it

Hawks have Toews-Kane-Hossa-Sharp-Keith-Seabrook, heck Shaw had 39pts in the regular season, Saad 47. They are the Champions because they are very talented and deep.
But even they have struggled and now are down 2-3 to a team that has Kopitar-Gaborik-Richards-Carter-Brown-Doughty-Quick-Voynov-Williams. Do I really need to explain why the Kings also ''do it'' (don't forget they struggled too, 0-3 start vs SJ)?

These two teams have 3 of the last 4 cups, possibly 4 of the last 5 after this year.
We are not there yet. The best team doesn't always win in hockey, that's what the saying ''once you make the POs, you never know what can happen'' is all about. So if we made the cup, really, you never know. On paper however, we don't compete with those teams.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
interesting thread. Just don't think hab had the horses tonight - especially on D
also in a game so tight it required dirty goals, and cycling --can't do it with small
overmatched guys...who can't win pucks or get to the net...
habs still too small when it mattered most

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Hawks have Toews-Kane-Hossa-Sharp-Keith-Seabrook, heck Shaw had 39pts in the regular season, Saad 47. They are the Champions because they are very talented and deep.
But even they have struggled and now are down 2-3 to a team that has Kopitar-Gaborik-Richards-Carter-Brown-Doughty-Quick-Voynov-Williams. Do I really need to explain why the Kings also ''do it'' (don't forget they struggled too, 0-3 start vs SJ)?

These two teams have 3 of the last 4 cups, possibly 4 of the last 5 after this year.
We are not there yet. The best team doesn't always win in hockey, that's what the saying ''once you make the POs, you never know what can happen'' is all about. So if we made the cup, really, you never know. On paper however, we don't compete with those teams.

Toews, Hossa and Shaw are all big bodies, that doesn't hurt. Montreal keeps icing the smurfs and they can't physically compete for long durations.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
When a team loses , and you go in the room,
the players know what players tried, and which ones are out for just a skate.

after tonight, backs against the wall....

what players in that room, just coasted, and how do the ones that really care react?

As a GM , how do you measure that?

You hate to lose, but lose and not trying, really adds salt in the wound.

It's pretty clear that every player *was* trying their hardest. The execution wasn't there for a variety of reasons but I doubt there is any finger pointing going on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad