Proposal: Alternatives to buying Leafs Merchandise:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I love the leafs as much as anyone here, but I'm going to do other things until they start winning again. It's easy.

I think most are confused here by what you're trying to accomplish.

I assume most already do lots of other things, I know I do.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Do whatever you like, but don't call it "stupid". I would never disrespect you like that.

Me not saying it's stupid doesn't change the fact that it's stupid so I'm just going to call a spade a spade.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying your decision to boycott is stupid. You're free to do whatever you like with your time and money and I surely understand your decision comes from a place of frustration and doesn't make you any less of a fan. You didn't create this thread to talk about your frustrations. You created this thread and spoke for more than yourself which you have no place to do. If people want to join the cause then that's great and hopefully it gets somewhere (probably won't) but when you're going to quote Gandhi in defense of your efforts against a sports team, that is stupid and it is an affront to the real issues of the world that Gandhi stood for and advocated. Don't disrespect the true intent of his words. It has no place in a discussion regarding how much the Leafs suck and how what we can do to change that.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Are we? I didn't get that memo.

While I fully understand the frustration, not buying merchandise isn't going to make much of a difference to them, if any at all. The organization is swimming in money and I doubt merchandise accounts for a significant portion of their revenue.

Not buying tickets would make a difference but we all know that isn't going to happen. Cancelling subscriptions to things like LeafsTV might make a difference, but how many are likely to do that? Not watching games so that they go down in the ratings and thus affect advertising revenues might help but let's be realistic here - every damned person on this board is going to be tuned into their first exhibition game next season, never mind the season opener.

I cancel Leafs TV every year when the season ends. Considering how crappy it is anyway, I highly doubt they even realize it exists. Agree with everything else. There are 10 people waiting to buy tickets for every one person who decides not to and as far as merchandise goes, I only buy for my son unless there's a nice hat or something, and I have to be there first day of new stuff or I get scraps. The two jerseys I do own I bought last year and they were Phaneuf and JVR. I'll get Rielly and Bernier at some point but I guess i'll have to wait to see if they are still here ;)

ForSpareParts*

Me not saying it's stupid doesn't change the fact that it's stupid so I'm just going to call a spade a spade.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying your decision to boycott is stupid. You're free to do whatever you like with your time and money and I surely understand your decision comes from a place of frustration and doesn't make you any less of a fan. You didn't create this thread to talk about your frustrations. You created this thread and spoke for more than yourself which you have no place to do. If people want to join the cause then that's great and hopefully it gets somewhere (probably won't) but when you're going to quote Gandhi in defense of your efforts against a sports team, that is stupid and it is an affront to the real issues of the world that Gandhi stood for and advocated. Don't disrespect the true intent of his words. It has no place in a discussion regarding how much the Leafs suck and how what we can do to change that.

No it does. It shows how powerful one individuals' actions can be.

You can do whatever you like though. It doesn't matter to me that you won't do the same.

ForSpareParts*

Actually, what you want to do is fine, but who the hell gave you the right to speak for all of us? I sure didn't.

I think I'm speaking for the majority of fans here.

I can't imagine anyone is happy with the way this franchise has been going the last 8 of 9 seasons.

So hard to imagine everyone is happy with things.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
"Please cancel my account - I'd like to send a message to MLSE that the Leafs' results are unacceptable by me and my family."

"Okay. Done, thank you for calling Rogers."

Nah, first they are magically able to offer you 6 months of half price lol

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
No it does. It shows how powerful one individuals' actions can be.

You can do whatever you like though. It doesn't matter to me that you won't do the same.

I understand the sentiment behind his words. I just think your priorities in life are whack if you need to use that quote to justify your actions and ask others to do the same.

And for the record, you do not speak for me so you better check yourself and get your facts straight. Speak for yourself and only yourself.

Baarle*

May 29, 2010
28.294194, -39.07612
Just because the leafs suck doesn't mean I'm not going to attend a TFC game or cheer on the Raptors in the playoffs. I don't care if they're owned by the same enterprise, I get enjoyment from doing these things and will continue to do so. Not that it would make any kind of difference if I didn't.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
BREAKING NEWS: 2 Maple Leafs fans of HF boards decide to stop using MLSE owned product, costing the team upwards of $500 in lost revenue. No comment has been given yet from the billion dollar company.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
We are all in agreement that we want to send a message to MLSE. A moderator suggested not buying any merchandise. Can you come up with ideas or alternatives?

FYI That includes Raptors and TFC.

Maybe hit their major sponsors while your at it:

Air Canada
Bell
Rogers

What else could we do to be involved?

Not exactly sure what you're trying to accomplish. It's not like Leafs management were trying to blow the season. They put the best possible team on the ice and it wasn't good enough. You can just buy star players like in the previous decades. I'm more angry at the players and coaching staff, not Leafs ownership/management.

Also the Raptors are a good team and TFC just signed a bunch of high priced talent, so it just seems like you're whining for the sake of whining.

CBA

Oct 18, 2009
Toronto
What I don't think the OP realizes is that merchandise sales/overall revenue are related to team performance already without our intervention. Every single poster on this board can likely be considered a fairly high interest hockey fan or else they would spend time on this site. We probably represent a very small amount of the viewers of Leafs games, merchandise sales, anything related to MLSE revenues overall. We are a small group in the sea of leaf 'fans'.

When the product on the ice is achieving (as was the case last year when we entered the playoffs) merchandise sales increase when reinvigorated fans (some consider bandwagonners) begin buying hats, shirts and jerseys to go with their new interest/hobby/fomo. They tune in to leaf games over their regular episode of NCIS thus increasing ratings, the advertisers ROI for commercial insertions, and CBC, TSN and Sportsnet desire to spend whatever necessary to purchase the product. When the Leafs suck and are a bottom feeder, the bandwaggon fans go away and so does their money and impact.

Like it or not, as much as we feel we own the sentiment and possess the best interests of true leafs fans, it is the majority of "watch when we're winning" fans who move the needle. If you want to make an impact - become part of the majority and only tune in when they earn your saturated attention.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I think I'm speaking for the majority of fans here.

I can't imagine anyone is happy with the way this franchise has been going the last 8 of 9 seasons.

So hard to imagine everyone is happy with things.

The current management doesn't have anything to do with how the team was run 6 - 9 years ago.

I'm not happy with the result, but what exactly are you proposing management does to make the team better in a tight salary capped league? Nonis made some nice moves but the end results wasn't what he envisioned, and in my opinion the lack of success is on the players. If no moves are made in the offseason then I'll be pissed, but as of now I don't think canceling my tv and Internet services accomplishes anything but making my life more difficult.

Jer416

Oct 8, 2013
Ontario
While it's a worthy suggestion, the bottom line is one, two, or even the entire HF Leafs board (not sure how big that is) not purchasing Leafs merchandise won't have an effect other than improving our health.

MLSE got sponsors, commercials, fans that fill the stadium regardless of results, and most importantly, fans that pay $6 (Can't remember the amount, but I think its even higher?) for a beer in the ACC xD

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
not going to games or buying merchandise isn't going to change anything. The Leafs are losing millions of dollars from missing the playoffs. When the leafs make the playoffs the ticket prices are higher, non leaf fans jump on the bandwagon and buy more merchandise. Many people think the reason the leafs don't make the playoffs because "they don't need to, they sell out win or lose", this could be true, but think of the millions of dollars lost by the leafs bu missing the playoffs, obviously they need to win to make the playoffs and ultimately make more money.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
not going to games or buying merchandise isn't going to change anything. The Leafs are losing millions of dollars from missing the playoffs. When the leafs make the playoffs the ticket prices are higher, non leaf fans jump on the bandwagon and buy more merchandise. Many people think the reason the leafs don't make the playoffs because "they don't need to, they sell out win or lose", this could be true, but think of the millions of dollars lost by the leafs bu missing the playoffs, obviously they need to win to make the playoffs and ultimately make more money.

You get a cookie.

People complain that ownership doesn't care because they know fans will keep running back. As far as I'm concerned that theory is way off the mark. The problem is that ownership has been incompetent and too impatient. Yes, they're looking out for their bottom dollar but that's why they've always forced this idea of 'retooling' rather than just simply going for a rebuild. Ownership sees the money to be made if they have a playoff contender and because of that greed they have constantly tried to take every shortcut just to get the Leafs into the playoffs even if it is by the skin of their teeth.

Problem hasn't been that they're financially content, it's that they're financially greedy and have previously shown an unwillingness to exercise any patience by sacrificing short term results for long term gain. They haven't been able to see the big picture that building a Cup contender will bring far more years of playoff appearances than building a playoff bubble team.

29Potvins

Jul 17, 2012
It's really easy. It's called finding a life.

There is so much to do outside of watching every leafs game.

There's so much to watch outside of Rogers and Bell.

Who am I talking to here?

Is everyone's horizons really that narrow!?

You're adjusting your life based on the performance of a sports team.. who's the one that needs to find a life?

Isn't it obvious that someone's subscription to Rogers or Bell has nothing to do with the Leafs? Reality check: if people subscribe to those services, it's because they use those services, not because they are rewarding the companies' affiliation with the Leafs or MLSE. It's not a difficult concept to understand, but you seem to be struggling with it.

ForSpareParts*

You're adjusting your life based on the performance of a sports team.. who's the one that needs to find a life?

Isn't it obvious that someone's subscription to Rogers or Bell has nothing to do with the Leafs? Reality check: if people subscribe to those services, it's because they use those services, not because they are rewarding the companies' affiliation with the Leafs or MLSE. It's not a difficult concept to understand, but you seem to be struggling with it.

Do you own a Potvin jersey?

canary

Jan 20, 2011
Toronto
you aren't the first person with this delusional, idiotic idea and you certainly won't be the last

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
So, in other words, if someone doesn't join in such a boycott they are a not a fan. Is that what you really want to say? Who the hell gave you the right to determine who is or is not a Leafs fan?
I meant fans of other teams... I wasn't trying to split this fanbase into factions depending on what they believed in. If a fair chunk of Toronto's fanbase boycotted Air Canada, Rogers and Bell then you're still going to have 95% of the country flying Air Canada, buying cell phones with mobile plans from Bell and watching TV on their Rogers cable. My point was that any impact made would be minimal, and likely unnoticed by those three companies in the big picture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->