Proposal: Alternatives to buying Leafs Merchandise:

ForSpareParts*

We are all in agreement that we want to send a message to MLSE. A moderator suggested not buying any merchandise. Can you come up with ideas or alternatives?

FYI That includes Raptors and TFC.

Maybe hit their major sponsors while your at it:

Air Canada
Bell
Rogers

What else could we do to be involved?

firebug

Apr 11, 2014
We are all in agreement that we want to send a message to MLSE. A moderator suggested not buying any merchandise. Can you come up with ideas or alternatives?

Air Canada
Bell
Rogers

"Please cancel my account - I'd like to send a message to MLSE that the Leafs' results are unacceptable by me and my family."

"Okay. Done, thank you for calling Rogers."

(patiently wait for cup parade).

Then I'd have to find another carrier and cable provider. Too much work for not enough results.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you expect MLSE and Rogers to buy or possibly rent the Stanley cup?

ForSpareParts*

"Please cancel my account - I'd like to send a message to MLSE that the Leafs' results are unacceptable by me and my family."

"Okay. Done, thank you for calling Rogers."

(patiently wait for cup parade).

Then I'd have to find another carrier and cable provider. Too much work for not enough results.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Do you expect MLSE and Rogers to buy or possibly rent the Stanley cup?

I would suggest thinking a little deeper about things. Realize you as an individual can make a difference, and be a little less lazy.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would suggest thinking a little deeper about things. Realize you as an individual can make a difference, and be a little less lazy.

What difference are you trying to make?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Raptors, TFC have nothing to do with this. In fact, actually supporting those teams would go further to show we expect the same

ForSpareParts*

ACC and Teeder,

I don't own any leafs merch. I will not buy TFC tix or merch. Same with the Raptors. I will not watch any team on tv under the MLSE umbrella.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
And for all the Leafs fans who abstain, all the non-fans will continue to indulge making this completely pointless.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

If you believe that you as an individual can make a difference, how about using your time and effort to advocate far greater issues like poverty, world hunger, sex trafficking, etc.

It's so damn superficial to call for a movement over a sports team. If people are going to inconvenience themselves, at least ask them to do it for a much better cause. Otherwise, YOU can stop buying merchandise, watching games, buying tickets, go find another team to cheer for, etc. Done. Anyone who is just as upset and is willing to sacrifice their own inconvenience to send a message to MLSE has probably already done so or will do so without needing to read an forum thread to give them the idea.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
ACC and Teeder,

I don't own any leafs merch. I will not buy TFC tix or merch. Same with the Raptors. I will not watch any team on tv under the MLSE umbrella.

Ok, I'm just curious what you think that will accomplish?

For the record, I've never done any of those things that you'll now give up other than watching the Leafs. Hasn't made any difference that I can see.

29Potvins

Jul 17, 2012
I just can't wrap my head around why someone would intentionally make life difficult for themselves over a struggling sports team. It's especially mind boggling to hear about boycotts of sponsors - why punish yourself and these business over the performance of a sports team which neither of you have any control over? Boycott businesses if you disagree with their business practices, not over their affiliation with a sports team. Wow.. some people.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I don't buy this "hurt the organization stuff". It's not a schoolboard brainwashing my kids, it's a sports organization. My two cents.

ForSpareParts*

Ok, I'm just curious what you think that will accomplish?

For the record, I've never done any of those things that you'll now give up other than watching the Leafs. Hasn't made any difference that I can see.

It doesn't matter what you think.

Others will catch on. Aren't they sick of paying $400 a ticket for such a poor product? I think they will.

I'm sure others are cancelling their Leafs tv. Surely they are finding better things to do with their time than watching a loser team on a terrible station.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Air Canada
Bell
Rogers

Good grief. Get a god damn sense of perspective. Why the hell would you put yourself out that much over entertainment?

Why is the Leafs performance so important to you? Do you think that something magical is going to happen to your life if the Leafs win the Stanley Cup?

ForSpareParts*

I just can't wrap my head around why someone would intentionally make life difficult for themselves over a struggling sports team. It's especially mind boggling to hear about boycotts of sponsors - why punish yourself and these business over the performance of a sports team which neither of you have any control over? Boycott businesses if you disagree with their business practices, not over their affiliation with a sports team. Wow.. some people.

It's really easy. It's called finding a life.

There is so much to do outside of watching every leafs game.

There's so much to watch outside of Rogers and Bell.

Who am I talking to here?

Is everyone's horizons really that narrow!?

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Others will catch on. Aren't they sick of paying $400 a ticket for such a poor product? I think they will.

I'm sure others are cancelling their Leafs tv. Surely they are finding better things to do with their time than watching a loser team on a terrible station.

If people are sick of paying $400 a ticket for a poor product they sure as hell don't need you or your thread to tell them to stop :laugh:

Among those better things they are doing with their time is probably not posting on a hockey forum dedicated to that poor product they are boycotting nor wasting their efforts asking others to join their superficial and stupid cause. You're asking if people's horizons are so narrow all the while advocating over something as trivial as this. Are you really so ignorant to the issues of the world that you think this is any kind of priority worth advocating. :shakehead:help:

ForSpareParts*

Good grief. Get a god damn sense of perspective. Why the hell would you put yourself out that much over entertainment?

Why is the Leafs performance so important to you? Do you think that something magical is going to happen to your life if the Leafs win the Stanley Cup?

No.

These things are such small steps.

Must be hard for you, but it's nothing to:

Not buy leafs merch
Not attend MLSE Team games.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

You want to get their attention? Full page ad ridiculing their ability to run sports teams with an aim at winning and their business sense. You'd also need to get ex-Leafs involved at the grassroots level, and they'd need to somehow be on tv and radio programs telling everyone who'll listen to not buy tickets, merchandise ect and to start cheering for the Habs or Sens, and those people would have to actually do that. The Leafs would need to become a sunbelt team before any kind of change that you want begins to trickle through to ownership. That could take 10 years. Guess who won't be here in 10 years?

ForSpareParts*

If people are sick of paying $400 a ticket for a poor product they sure as hell don't need you or your thread to tell them to stop :laugh:

Among those better things they are doing with their time is probably not posting on a hockey forum dedicated to that poor product they are boycotting nor wasting their efforts asking others to join their superficial and stupid cause. You're asking if people's horizons are so narrow all the while advocating over something as trivial as this. Are you really so ignorant to the issues of the world that you think this is any kind of priority worth advocating. :shakehead:help:

Do whatever you like, but don't call it "stupid". I would never disrespect you like that.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
And for all the Leafs fans who abstain, all the non-fans will continue to indulge making this completely pointless.

So, in other words, if someone doesn't join in such a boycott they are a not a fan. Is that what you really want to say? Who the hell gave you the right to determine who is or is not a Leafs fan?

ForSpareParts*

I love the leafs as much as anyone here, but I'm going to do other things until they start winning again. It's easy.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
We are all in agreement that we want to send a message to MLSE.

Are we? I didn't get that memo.

While I fully understand the frustration, not buying merchandise isn't going to make much of a difference to them, if any at all. The organization is swimming in money and I doubt merchandise accounts for a significant portion of their revenue.

Not buying tickets would make a difference but we all know that isn't going to happen. Cancelling subscriptions to things like LeafsTV might make a difference, but how many are likely to do that? Not watching games so that they go down in the ratings and thus affect advertising revenues might help but let's be realistic here - every damned person on this board is going to be tuned into their first exhibition game next season, never mind the season opener.

ForSpareParts*

Are we? I didn't get that memo.

While I fully understand the frustration, not buying merchandise isn't going to make much of a difference to them, if any at all. The organization is swimming in money and I doubt merchandise accounts for a significant portion of their revenue.

Not buying tickets would make a difference but we all know that isn't going to happen. Cancelling subscriptions to things like LeafsTV might make a difference, but how many are likely to do that? Not watching games so that they go down in the ratings and thus affect advertising revenues might help but let's be realistic here - every damned person on this board is going to be tuned into their first exhibition game next season, never mind the season opener.

What matters is what I think.

You can tell me all you like that it won't matter. That's fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->