Alternative to CHL.TV?

Jul 6, 2008
GTA
Apologies to mods if this post isn't in the right part of the forums.

I live in Toronto and only have high-speed internet, I don't have an active cable TV subscription atm.

The cost of CHL.TV seems high. They want $7.99 A DAY. $34.99 A MONTH or $84.99 a year (for each league) or $124.99 for CHL All Access or $269.99 for CHL All Access incl. playoffs?

Is it just me or does that seem exceedingly high? I'm assuming most of their customers are scouts and the cost is paid for by a team somewhere but I mean still..

In the past I would catch OHL games on my regional Rogers channel 10. However I no longer have cable TV so that's not an option atm.

Do most of you just watch regionally on TV? Is there a coupon code I'm missing? How many of you pay these prices?

Thanks,

FF

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
CHL TV sucks so bad in almost every way. You have to be truly hardcore to be willing to put up with the cost and hassles. I'm one of those poor suckers, ha. But unless you live in a market with CHL games on broadcast TV or you are a 1337 hacker willing to pirate games, you are basically stuck with it. There are no other viable options.

I use a Chromecast and the CHL TV app used to support it, but the new system of using the CHL app does not. So now I have to deal with stuttering pictures when streaming to my TV. However, I gave in and finally bought a Roku this week so I'm hoping that fixes it.

Game broadcasts themselves are not all that great, in some rinks you can barely see what's happening.

And yeah, the cost is high for what you get. I guess someone did the math and determined that this was the most profitable rate. But still, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't get more casual subscribers if the price was more reasonable. I think season ticket holders typically get a discount code to lower the price of the package, though.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
As a postscript to my last message, I broke down and got a Roku as noted above. I used it to watch my first game last night. That definitely improves the CHL TV experience. But it's still not that great, and is still basically one step above Livebarn.

Reactions: HF92

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Like how you used to watch, I watch on Cable 14, which basically Rogers TV for Hamilton, only that Cogeco, Rogers and Source cable jointly run it, because Hamilton is split in three ways in terms of cable service.

It terms of price, that does seem a bit steep, although I thought it was $119.99 annually for one league.

The best I can say is look at it this way, you probably wouldn't pay $7.99 a ticket to watch live so you save in that regard, and it is a lot cheaper then say NHL Center Ice. That said, this is junior hockey and I know the quality of the broadcasts is nowhere near that of the NHL.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
With todays technology,it's a complete joke that the ohl feed is as bad as it is from some arenas.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
With todays technology,it's a complete joke that the ohl feed is as bad as it is from some arenas.

The WHL says hello. Moose Jaw's rink is dark AF and the feed looks like they have vaseline smeared all over the lens, you can barely make out the numbers on the players.

Regina's rink was pretty good during the bubble season but now it's so dark. Honestly, can't they turn up the lighting in some of those barns?

Calgary and Edmonton are consistently the best with their NHL calibre lighting. Even everyone's favourite whipping boy, Winnipeg's Wayne Fleming Arena, is not bad with good brightness that makes it easy to watch.

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
Apologies to mods if this post isn't in the right part of the forums.

I live in Toronto and only have high-speed internet, I don't have an active cable TV subscription atm.

The cost of CHL.TV seems high. They want $7.99 A DAY. $34.99 A MONTH or $84.99 a year (for each league) or $124.99 for CHL All Access or $269.99 for CHL All Access incl. playoffs?

Is it just me or does that seem exceedingly high? I'm assuming most of their customers are scouts and the cost is paid for by a team somewhere but I mean still..

In the past I would catch OHL games on my regional Rogers channel 10. However I no longer have cable TV so that's not an option atm.

Do most of you just watch regionally on TV? Is there a coupon code I'm missing? How many of you pay these prices?

Thanks,

FF
I have a site, message me

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
When our team went on the road for round 1 , leave it to the kids to find a (free) work around. I was skeptical but this one site is legit. No Russian scam site. US based server.
It is basically a portal for people that post stream links - from hockey (and ONLY hockey) games from AROUND THE WORLD. Crazy amount of games to be found. The most obscure US college game to a tier 3 German league. AND all the NHL games. Best to have a good ad blocker. Some links are heavy with ads, others are one click to the feed. Some WHL rinks def need some lighting upgrades. I was told the camera gear is uniform for all the teams. This is the sked currently up. Will it last? The lawyers on retainer need to find money to go after first, this might be a crack slipper that hangs around for a while.
1684430957582.png

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
CHL TV sucks so bad in almost every way. You have to be truly hardcore to be willing to put up with the cost and hassles. I'm one of those poor suckers, ha. But unless you live in a market with CHL games on broadcast TV or you are a 1337 hacker willing to pirate games, you are basically stuck with it. There are no other viable options.

I use a Chromecast and the CHL TV app used to support it, but the new system of using the CHL app does not. So now I have to deal with stuttering pictures when streaming to my TV. However, I gave in and finally bought a Roku this week so I'm hoping that fixes it.

Game broadcasts themselves are not all that great, in some rinks you can barely see what's happening.

And yeah, the cost is high for what you get. I guess someone did the math and determined that this was the most profitable rate. But still, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't get more casual subscribers if the price was more reasonable. I think season ticket holders typically get a discount code to lower the price of the package, though.
boy ain't this the truth. The broadcast work is amateur-ish a lot of times. It misses so much action.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
boy ain't this the truth. The broadcast work is amateur-ish a lot of times. It misses so much action.

The CHL playoffs have moved to national broadcasts (TSN) and man, is it ever great. The quality of everything is 1000 times better.

When our team went on the road for round 1 , leave it to the kids to find a (free) work around. I was skeptical but this one site is legit. No Russian scam site. US based server.
It is basically a portal for people that post stream links - from hockey (and ONLY hockey) games from AROUND THE WORLD. Crazy amount of games to be found. The most obscure US college game to a tier 3 German league. AND all the NHL games. Best to have a good ad blocker. Some links are heavy with ads, others are one click to the feed. Some WHL rinks def need some lighting upgrades. I was told the camera gear is uniform for all the teams. This is the sked currently up. Will it last? The lawyers on retainer need to find money to go after first, this might be a crack slipper that hangs around for a while.
View attachment 709885
Where would one, hypothetically speaking, find such a resource?

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
We just switched to cogeco & the ohl feed has not stopped once & we have an amazon fire stick.Bell internet would buffer too many times.I just realized the other day the chl finals series are on tsn as well as the memorial cup.

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
The CHL playoffs have moved to national broadcasts (TSN) and man, is it ever great. The quality of everything is 1000 times better.

Where would one, hypothetically speaking, find such a resource?
Hypothetically of course. And I don't want to be a party to anything illegal. And you have to do a bit of work. Some copy paste and right click search action should take you to the promised land. Look for FLUID's stream, has been rock solid for DUB games. The landing page will have the sched look I posted.

We do not host or upload any videos on our website. All videos/streams shown are available elsewhere on the Internet and "hot-linked" from other sources via "embed code" provided as a feature of this websites (livestream.com, dailymotion.com and many others). If you have any legal issues please contact appropriate media file owners and/or hosters. Note we hold no responsibility for any illegal usage of the content. We have no partnership and do not request to have partnership with any owner of videos/streams given on our website. All content is copyright of their respective owners.

Reactions: jetsmooseice
Jul 6, 2008
GTA
Hypothetically of course. And I don't want to be a party to anything illegal. And you have to do a bit of work. Some copy paste and right click search action should take you to the promised land. Look for FLUID's stream, has been rock solid for DUB games. The landing page will have the sched look I posted.

We do not host or upload any videos on our website. All videos/streams shown are available elsewhere on the Internet and "hot-linked" from other sources via "embed code" provided as a feature of this websites (livestream.com, dailymotion.com and many others). If you have any legal issues please contact appropriate media file owners and/or hosters. Note we hold no responsibility for any illegal usage of the content. We have no partnership and do not request to have partnership with any owner of videos/streams given on our website. All content is copyright of their respective owners.
Thanks, Great resource, in theory of course..

BE Friend

Jul 16, 2021
Thanks, Great resource, in theory of course..
Yes, theoretical possibilities only. Different feeds are interesting to see for SCF's -- the US feed vs CAN. Some ESPN had the puck streak. Really nice resource
for multi tasking computer time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad