Alternate 2015 reality: Chabot+ vs Dougie Hamilton

Draft in 2015 or trade for Dougie Hamilton

• Total voters

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Choose A or B and explain why. Also mention whether you think your decision changes if you're thinking from Calgary's perspective, or your own teams perspective.

A) Don't trade and draft:

- Draft Chabot
- One of the following players: Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson, Daniel Sprong, Jansen Harkens, Filip Chlapik
- One of the following players: Roope Hintz, Jordan Greenway, Brendan Guhle, Jeremy Lauzon.

No players emerge until 2017/2018.

B) Trade for Hamilton and sign him for 6 years 5.75 AAV.

Immediate #2/3 dman talent on the back end starting in 2015/2016 season

Background:
In 2015, Brad Treliving traded picks #15, 45 and 52 for the Dougie Hamilton's RFA rights and immediately signed him to a 6 year 5.75 AAV contract. Boston drafted Senyshyn, JFK and Lauzon. At the time, the trade was heralded as a steal for Calgary. Rumor has it that Calgary was interested in drafting Chabot at 15. Chabot is a stud and has the talent to over take Dougie very soon, but Dougie was playing top pairing when Chabot was drafted.

Knowing what we know now, is your team patient enough to wait for Chabot's potential and the extra two players drafted in the second round bridge the multiple years of development? Or would you do what Calgary did and trade for Dougie Hamilton for immediate help?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I dont understand the question

Isnt it pretty much consensus that Chabot alone will end up the better player than Hamilton? Why wouldnt everyone do this with hindsight

The idea is - without hindsight - maybe it was a gamble worth taking at the time. But with hindsight of course you do it

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I dont understand the question

Isnt it pretty much consensus that Chabot alone will end up the better player than Hamilton? Why wouldnt everyone do this with hindsight

The idea is - without hindsight - maybe it was a gamble worth taking at the time. But with hindsight of course you do it

Part of the equation is whether you'd want to go through 3-4 years without a talent like Hamilton as in whether the timing of the talent hitting your roster is a consideration (compete, extended rebuild, proper rebuild vs mediocrity etc.). Sorry if it's kinda muddled.

EDIT:

So from the Flames POV, a certain way to look at it would be that we don't end up with Lindholm and Hanifin. The fact we wouldn't have as much talent on the back end doesn't change too much as we did poorly under Gulutzan anyways and probably still in close enough range to draft someone like Tkachuk and Valimaki.

That being said, the Flames would also have to deal with nearly 3 seasons of an better Edmonton team that gets Hamilton (they were the only other team bidding on him), doesn't waste picks on the Griffin Reinhart fiasco and they also likely don't need to do the Hall for Larsson fiasco. Chia would look like a genius.

As such, it's very likely that with hindsight, Flames fans would still prefer to go down the path we did and trade for Hamilton.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Part of the equation is whether you'd want to go through 3-4 years without a talent like Hamilton as in whether the timing of the talent hitting your roster is a consideration (compete, extended rebuild, proper rebuild vs mediocrity etc.). Sorry if it's kinda muddled.

EDIT:

So from the Flames POV, a certain way to look at it would be that we don't end up with Lindholm and Hanifin. The fact we wouldn't have as much talent on the back end doesn't change too much as we did poorly under Gulutzan anyways and probably still in close enough range to draft someone like Tkachuk and Valimaki.

That being said, the Flames would also have to deal with nearly 3 seasons of an better Edmonton team that gets Hamilton (they were the only other team bidding on him), doesn't waste picks on the Griffin Reinhart fiasco and they also likely don't need to do the Hall for Larsson fiasco. Chia would look like a genius.

As such, it's very likely that with hindsight, Flames fans would still prefer to go down the path we did and trade for Hamilton.

Unless you think Hamilton is the difference for your team winning the cup in the past 4 years (cant imagine that to be the case for any team) - why would anyone care about past 4 years vs moving forward

Isnt Chabot already better starting next season? He's younger so he'll remain better for future too. And you also get 2 more players on top of it

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Considering Boston still gets a 1RD in the future in Charlie McAvoy, this makes it easily Chabot.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Is this a bad joke?

I'll take Chabot over Hamilton. With or without the picks. Hell it wouldn't take me a second to pick Chabot over Hamilton AND those picks.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Wow, I'm surprised how lopsided the results are for Chabot. Quite a few Flames fans had a brief discussion about this and most of them overwhelmingly leaned towards being happy how everything unfolded and wouldn't want a mulligan.

I guess the implications are different from a Flames POV though.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I want to claim the moral high ground in that i thought the Flames overpaid for Dougie at the time. I've never been as big a fan of his as a lot of people seem to be.

But then...i was somewhat of a skeptic on Chabot in that draft too. Chabot wouldn't have been my pick there. I wasn't sold on his defensive game coming together. Frankly...i'm stubbornly still not completely sold on the idea that it's not another Dougie Hamilton style mirage, where production overshadows the rest of the game in a lot of people's perception. But with hindsight, it's darn easy to say yes to that deal. Worst case...Chabot is another Dougie, and you get some other free darts to throw in the board. Best case...he's a lot better than Dougie. Win-win really.

So in summary, with hindsight it's an obvious lopsided poll. But even without hindsight, i probably would've taken the right option here, for the wrong reasons. :laugh:

Reactions: Fig

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
From a Flames perspective, I'd prefer Lindholm and Hanafin.

But Chabot over Hamilton if that's the choice

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
If Hamilton had played to his potential 5.75 would have been a bargain, but that's what wrong with Hamilton and why he's been traded by two teams now.

Not really a fair poll. In hindsight, keeping the picks and drafting Chabot plus would have been the better choice, but at the time the trade was made, trading a 1st and an 2nd for a defensemen with the raw talent to be a top-10 if not top-5 rated defensemen (if you could just straighten out his mental issues) was a easy decision, and one I don't think anyone in Calgary's management really regrets.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Wow, I'm surprised how lopsided the results are for Chabot. Quite a few Flames fans had a brief discussion about this and most of them overwhelmingly leaned towards being happy how everything unfolded and wouldn't want a mulligan.

I guess the implications are different from a Flames POV though.

Because they converted Hamilton to Lindholm and Hanifin.
A top line forward and a top 4D with some major upside.

If we just had Dougie still, with the emergence of guys like Barzal and Chabot, it'd have kind of sucked TBH.

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad