Altering shin guards

SacredPetra

Dec 24, 2012
Colorado
I'm in the market for a new pair of shin guards, and I have two different pairs picked out, but the problem is I need a very different fit on each leg. I'm in a rigid frame knee brace (rated for hockey and save to play in), so I'm going to have to either make one pair significantly narrower (Reeboks) or the other pair somewhat wider in the shin and on the edges of the knee cap (Bauer vapors). Given the level of protection I'd prefer to have, I can't afford to buy two pairs. I currently an making my current shin guards work by removing the padding, but now that I know I'll be in the brace long term, I'd like a better option, especially as I was in the market for a longer pair anyways.

So, is it easier to make a shin guard wider or narrower. Taking a middle of the road pair and altering both seems like even more work.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
All shin guard shells are plastic. Heat them up gently and either stretch or compress for width. Better to get a wider pair and compress them. I would heat and secure the shape with tape or something to leave overnight.

SacredPetra

Dec 24, 2012
Colorado
I haven't come across a shin guard designed to fit over a brace, but I'll check with Graf.

What's the best way to heat up the plastic? I thought I was going to have access to a heat gun, but now it's looking like I may not.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
I haven't come across a shin guard designed to fit over a brace, but I'll check with Graf.

What's the best way to heat up the plastic? I thought I was going to have access to a heat gun, but now it's looking like I may not.

Actually, I think I confused it with skates they have for braces. From looking around heating seems the common solution. A hair dryer might be sufficient actually.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Yeah hair dryer works, just use common sense and don't overheat it. We had some person on here suggest soaking it in a hot bath, which is a stupid thing to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->