Music: Alt-pop (Billie Eilish, Tate McRae, etc.)

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Leave it to a knowledgeable Habs fan to best describe Billie's music. It's exactly how I feel about it too. I'll take Miley any day over her. :naughty:

I've told this story a few times, but I'm not exactly a typical Habs fan.

Grew up in the Capitals' area. Even was a fan. But that playoffs series was a turning point. After a summer of stewing, I jumped ship from my Capitals fandom and became a Habs fan, and I made sure that the Caps fan card burned in a hell like no other and became a full blown hater.

And I still cheer for the "Football Team". So both the Philly Eagles and Washington Capitals winning their respective championships were a double gut punch felt by practically no other fans in the world.

Also, I'm Chinese-American as well.

Reactions: peate

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Nah. It's just pop.
I was going to disagree, but then I gave the songs in the OP a listen... I'm not exactly sure what is supposed to be alternative about them? Both the vocals and especially the instrumentals are pretty typical for a modern pop song of the last few years. Compare those tracks to the two I posted earlier and there is a very stark contrast.

Reactions: Metroid

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Eilish aside, what do you think of the overall alt-pop genre?
I'll be honest and say that I haven't explored sufficiently to form the opinion. It's not off to a good start though thanks to Eilish. I think I heard one Tate song and I was not getting into it.

Maybe the genre just isn't for me.

But then again, I might force myself anyway for intellectual reasons and perhaps find someone likeable.

Reactions: Cloned

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Thinking back to this thread, I think it's worth mentioning Chairlift, who was a group I was surprised never really got a lot of mainstream attention. Caroline Polachek is an exceptional vocal talent.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nessa is more of a TikTok star right now than a pop star. Her music isn’t bad, however.

Tate is supposedly the next big pop star out of Canada, and I wouldn’t be surprised if she becomes much more known over the next few years.
Fast forward 3 years and Tate McRae is the next big thing lol.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014

Not really my particular style of music, but I think Ashnikko would qualify as "alt-pop/punk-pop". I went to see her live with my wife a few weeks ago and her show was really good. Very high energy, sounded great live, not much BS'ing between tracks either. Even for someone who isn't really into her music, she puts on a great show.

Certainly an eclectic crowd, that's for sure. We had seen Atmosphere about 2 weeks prior, which was mostly 30-40s underground hip hop dudes, so it was a pretty comical difference between the two groups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad