Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, we have a manager now. So it's back to patiently waiting for Vlad Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Will anyone be in favour of reducing the regular season to 152-154 games and make the playoffs a little longer? Best of 3 wild card round or make the division series best of 7. It's always over so fast. For example, I would have loved to see more Yankees vs. Red Sox.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Will anyone be in favour of reducing the regular season to 152-154 games and make the playoffs a little longer? Best of 3 wild card round or make the division series best of 7. It's always over so fast. For example, I would have loved to see more Yankees vs. Red Sox.
If you dropped 2 games and went to 160 that buys two more days so you could make the wildcard a best of 3. Much more reasonable than a single game play-in after such a long season.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Pearson did well in his start. Touched 100mph a few times. Vlad batting .727.

Not bad. I knew he wouldn't hit like a Cessna or Cherokee and hit .172 in PA28(28 plate appearances). But he could have done better than a 727. That's not a big enough airplane. At least get a .767 or .777 man. At least it's still better than having a Dash 8(-8) fWAR. Oh well, at least he hit pretty close to A380 in AA/AAA this season.

I'll leave now.

Reactions: kb

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Blue Jays finalizing list of managerial candidates for in-person interviews
External candidates to have either received internal consideration or been interviewed by phone to this point are believed to include:

Joe Espada, the Houston Astros bench coach.

David Bell, the San Francisco Giants’ farm director.

Chris Woodward, the Los Angeles Dodgers third base coach who played shortstop for the Blue Jays.

Sandy Alomar Jr., the Cleveland Indians first base coach who interviewed with the Blue Jays when John Farrell was hired after the 2010 season.

Rob Thompson, the Sarnia, Ont., native who is bench coach with the Philadelphia Phillies.

Rocco Baldelli, the Tampa Bay Rays’ major-league field co-ordinator.

Stubby Clapp, the Canadian baseball stalwart who’s managed the St. Louis Cardinals’ triple-A affiliate Memphis to consecutive Pacific Coast League titles.

John McDonald, the popular former Blue Jays infielder who is Cleveland’s minor-league defensive co-ordinator.

— Mike Matheny,
the former Cardinals manager.

Joe Girardi, the former New York Yankees manager.

Eduardo Perez, the current ESPN broadcaster who served as hitting coach with the Miami Marlins and bench coach with Houston.

Internal candidates to have at least received some consideration are DeMarlo Hale, Gibbons’ Blue Jays’ bench coach; John Schneider, who led double-A New Hampshire to an Eastern League title; and triple-A Buffalo manager Bobby Meacham.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I will be super pissed if Mike Matheny was getting strong consideration. After reading everything about how his time in St. Louis ended, he seems like exactly the wrong kind of hire for a team that is trying to push its young talent to seize jobs and play meaningful MLB innings in order to grow and develop.

Reactions: Discoverer

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
As a small aside, is it just me, or has the comments section on Sportsnet become even more of a toxic cesspool clown show than it used to be?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

A Canadian baseball folk hero ever since a bases-loaded single in the 11th inning beat the United States at the 1999 Pan American Games and propelled the national team to a surprise bronze, the 45-year-old was recently named Pacific Coast League manager of the year and has led triple-A Memphis in the St. Louis Cardinals system to consecutive titles.

Prior to that Clapp spent four years as a hitting coach in the Blue Jays farm system – 2013 and ’14 at single-A Dunedin and ’15 and ’16 at double-A New Hampshire – after five years of coaching in the Houston Astros system, two of them as manager at single-A Tri-City.

All that followed nine years of minor-league ball in the St. Louis, Atlanta and Toronto systems, two years of independent ball in Edmonton, 23 big-league games with the Cardinals in 2001, and appearances at the Pan Am Games, Olympics and World Baseball Classic with Canada.

Along the way, those varied experiences allowed Clapp to craft his own style at the helm centred around "patience and character management."

"The in-game stuff, that comes with the territory, you’ve done it so much as a player that eventually when you start looking at it the right way it translates into what to do as the manager, or how to direct the players," says Clapp. "I like letting the guys play. I don’t like to micromanage every move they make, I like to see their creativity and let them be themselves on the field."

"That was always the way Ernie Whitt managed us (on the Canadian national team). He let us play and he let us explore ideas and explore different things we could possibly do in the game to create runs, stop runs and stuff like that. In that aspect, I encourage the players to play and show why they’re here and show their talents."

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
For peak performance and/or counting the non-toronto parts of his career? Probably.

Counting just Jays impact? You can probably make compelling cases for any of Halladay, Stieb, Bautista, or maybe Delgado.

Including longevity, it's whatever order between Delgado, Bautista, Fernandez, Stieb, Halladay.

Looking at peak, it's Clemens and Donaldson.

Alomar needs a lot of credit for being such and icon and a star on the World Series teams to leapfrog those guys.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Including longevity, it's whatever order between Delgado, Bautista, Fernandez, Stieb, Halladay.

Looking at peak, it's Clemens and Donaldson.

Alomar needs a lot of credit for being such and icon and a star on the World Series teams to leapfrog those guys.

Tony Fernandez is like the Dave Andreychuk of the Jays. He climbed the leaderboard and he was a fixture and a very good player for a very long time, but he never had iconic, franchise player status like the other 4 did.

I don't want to turn the greatest player discussion into a pure stats argument, but Fernandez never peaked above 5 fWAR in any given season with the Jays. He just had a lot of seasons in the 4s. I detest the word usually because it's the kind of mealy-mouth argument that was used against Don Drysdale and in favor of Jack Morris in the great statistical HOF debates, but Fernandez was kind of a compiler.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
The only one there that I wouldn't like would be Matheny.

The reactions from people torn between "Management doesn't understand the fanbase!" and "Another former Cleveland employee!" if they hire Johnny Mac would be awesome.

My vote will always go to the choice that makes that special portion of the fan base the most upset.

So a non-Canadian, former Indian, non former Jay...Josh Bard.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Watching the two best teams in MLB, Houston and Boston, one can't help but to notice how many fat dudes are on both rosters.

Is obesity the new market inefficiency?

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The fact that he speaks Spanish also wouldn’t hurt. The native of San Juan managed the Puerto Rico team at the 2017 World Baseball Classic. He also has some front office experience previously having worked as a special assistant to Yankees general manager Brian Cashman.

For obvious competitive reasons, Atkins was reluctant to comment on specific candidates the team has contacted. In a phone interview Sunday afternoon, however, he said he was impressed with how the search process is unfolding.

“We are confident we are going to end up with a leader we are excited about,” Atkins said.
Once the decision was made to part ways with Gibbons, the Jays outlined a game plan for the next manager. The initial plan was to start with a field of 10 or more candidates with phone interviews and narrowing that down to five or so for in-person sessions.

Atkins acknowledged that circumstances – such as a candidate in hot command – could expedite the process. Others believed to be on the list include Canadian Stubby Clapp – who has earned rave reviews in the St. Louis Cardinals organization and Cleveland third-base coach Sandy Alomar Jr.

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Re: Jays Manager Search

As they launch a second round featuring in-person interviews, the Jays are already “believed to be down to five candidates,” per Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca. He cites Espada, Bell, Baldelli, and Hyde as four of the candidates who are expected to remain in the hunt, though he notes that the team wouldn’t confirm that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad