Blue Jays Discussion: Alright, we have a manager now. So it's back to patiently waiting for Vlad Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Health, age, and durability all boil down to the same concern: can he stay on the field? I'm assuming a team would acquire him as a backup/semi-regular who can fill in on a full-time basis if needed, so they wouldn't be looking for him to play every day anyway.

And like i said he is and should be viewed as a backup or 1b catcher at best. And like i said even with heavy retention he wont bring back much at face value - just my opinion. I make that statement based on the current market and his current value.

The Jays aren't forced to move him at all given he can play elsewhere on the diamond and they presumably like him as a mentor for the young catchers.

Never did say they were forced to move him but i suggest that they are motivated to move him which was backed up by insiders saying the Jays would trade him while eating a significant portion of his salary.

As for teams valuing what Martin brings, I can't imagine disputing that given that excellent defensive backup catchers always tend to have a lot of suitors, and they almost never come with a bat as good as Martin's.

They do and might but as i said the market is strong with options and it is a buyers market. Add in the fact that if we market him as a 1B catcher or a backup then i ask when was the last time a backup or 1b catcher in his mid 30s with 1 year of control brought back anything of real value? There is no to little history or precedent to suggest Martin could bring back anything of value.

Last edited:

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Just got a Sportsnet alert that says the Cards are allegedly close to picking up Paul Goldschmidt.
Carson Kelly, Luke Weaver, Andy Young, and a competitive balance pick... one hell of a return for Arizona.

Don’t get me wrong, Goldschmidt is one of the best hitters in the league but with this being his last year of control, and the Cardinals not getting a negotiation window, Arizona did great here.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
Rather candid.
Quite interesting.

Wonder if any of those guys end up getting traded.

I don't know how I would feel about trading Sanchez though. I would rather see if he can build back some of the value he had a couple of years ago before shipping him off for a weak package.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Shots fired by Atkins, wow. That is blunt.

Didn't Tulo suggest something along the lines of packing his bags if is isn't starting next season? .. I can't see this ending well

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Shots fired by Atkins, wow. That is blunt.

Didn't Tulo suggest something along the lines of packing his bags if is isn't starting next season? .. I can't see this ending well

He said if he’s not starting he doesn’t see the point of being on the team.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Rather candid.
Quite interesting.

Wonder if any of those guys end up getting traded.

I don't know how I would feel about trading Sanchez though. I would rather see if he can build back some of the value he had a couple of years ago before shipping him off for a weak package.

I see it as three things:

- Telling teams to take their shot at Stroman and Sanchez. It doesn’t mean they will, but if he gets a strong offer, he’s open to it

- With seemingly everyone willing to trade their catcher, Atkins is simply being blunt about Martin being available and every team who wants a catcher should be available.

- the Tulo thing almost seems like he wants to piss Tulo off enough that he doesn’t show at training camp and they can terminate the deal lol

So one he wants to drum up interest, another he wants to get focus on his product and the third.... well is interesting

Reactions: Kurtz

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Those are the most honest quotes I've ever read from Atkins. Nice to see him deviate from the usual double speak we've grown accustomed to hearing from him.

The other side to keeping Sanchez in an attempt to rebuild his value is that he might get injured again and be completely done. If we can turn him into something good I'd be ok with moving him. Unfortunately I don't see a team overpaying for him.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I'm sure Tulo will just go on the DL and keep accepting those checks.

I imagine Sanchez and Stroman have teams interested because they are just trying to buy low. I'd keep them and see if they can build up some value next season.

Reactions: JustAShadow

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
MLB.com with their first top 50 for 2019 draft.

MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch

Guy they have at our pick range sounds pretty stellar, but he'll probably rise just based on his report.

Kameron Misner, OF

Scouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 55 | Run: 60 | Arm: 60 | Field: 55 | Overall: 55

Misner showed glimpses of talent at Poplar Bluff (Mo.) High and got drafted by the Royals in the 33rd round in 2016, but no one envisioned him blossoming into potentially Missouri's first position-player first-rounder ever. He has the best all-around tools in the 2019 college crop and a track record of performance, but he hasn't gotten as much hype as he deserves. He fouled a ball off his right foot and broke it last spring, costing him the final two months of his sophomore season and all of last summer.

Misner's bat speed, strength and the leverage in his 6-foot-4 frame give him huge raw power that he's just beginning to tap into. He's a polished hitter with a sound left-handed swing, good balance and a mature approach that had him leading NCAA Division I in walks when he got hurt in 2018. He also has plus speed and the aptitude to steal bases, making him a 20-20 threat.
Though Misner played mostly left field as a freshman and a lot of first base as a sophomore, he has the quickness and strong arm to patrol anywhere in the outfield. He has a chance to play center field in pro ball and definitely profiles well in right. Scouts love his makeup as well.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
MLB.com with their first top 50 for 2019 draft.

MLB.com 2019 Prospect Watch

Guy they have at our pick range sounds pretty stellar, but he'll probably rise just based on his report.

Kameron Misner, OF

Can’t pass up on a Leiter, got to keep the bloodlines going.

Also worth nothing that this FO selected catcher Shea Langeliers in the 2016 draft. He is expected to go early at this point.

Plus there is a guy named “JJ Bleday” who is drafted eligible. Marketing would never have a blue day if Bleday was a Blue Jay.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Some very candid quotes from Atkins which is surprising and refreshing. Tulo one is surprising, sounds like they want to upset him or he already upset the Jays and they want to move off him. Tulo ain’t quitting by walking away from 40M. He will go on Romero island before that happens.

Fastest and my way to regain any value from Sanchez is to move him to the pen. Clearly he isn’t durable enough and I doubt he gets signed long term. No way Boras and Sanchez would accept a move to the pen imo but I would at least try it. A Giles, Sanchez and Tepera (maybe Paulino too) backend would be a great pen and with good starts regain a lot of value for the Jays to trade them.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Former Marlins president opens up about Stanton, near trade of Jose Fernandez and more

Former Marlins president David Sampson said he had a 5 for 1 deal with Arizona for Jose Fernandez. The deal included Corbin, Pollock and Drury as 3 of the 5 players. Fernandez rejected the Marlins contract offer before the start of the 2016 which is what sparked these trade talks. Sampson thought he had a deal but Dave Stewart backed out of the deal. Fernandez died a few months later.

Man that trade could have changed the fortunes for both teams. Arizona let Pollock and Corbin walk, and just traded Goldschmidt. But most importantly maybe Fernandez isn’t in Miami to get on that boat.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Regardless of what management thinks of Tulowitzki at this point and how true or not true those statements made by Atkins are, I think it's pretty bold and actually a little classless to call him out like that in the media and that these comments should have been internal ones instead. From an asset perspective, you're publicly tanking any potential trade value he may have with these comments. From an team perspective, you're publicly voicing a lack of belief in a former name brand player during his comeback attempt. For a guy like Tulo who is likely respected by many of his teammates and across the league, I think it's an unnecessary shot at him with no upside. Also, why now when Tulo has at least 2 years and $38 million left on his deal?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Regardless of what management thinks of Tulowitzki at this point and how true or not true those statements made by Atkins are, I think it's pretty bold and actually a little classless to call him out like that in the media and that these comments should have been internal ones instead. From an asset perspective, you're publicly tanking any potential trade value he may have with these comments. From an team perspective, you're publicly voicing a lack of belief in a former name brand player during his comeback attempt. For a guy like Tulo who is likely respected by many of his teammates and across the league, I think it's an unnecessary shot at him with no upside. Also, why now when Tulo has at least 2 years and $38 million left on his deal?

And what did you make of Tulo’s previous comments during the season when he stated that he would rather pack his bags up and go home than to be moved off SS/not starting? Like you said, 2/38 left and he already hinted he’s not playing purposely if he’s not the starting SS.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I'm confident everyone, including Tulo, knows that a 34-year-old who's missed nearly 50% of his teams' games the last seven years (including all of the most recent season and all of August and September the year before that) is a longshot to play at an above average level. I doubt Tulo was all that surprised to hear it.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
And what did you make of Tulo’s previous comments during the season when he stated that he would rather pack his bags up and go home than to be moved off SS/not starting? Like you said, 2/38 left and he already hinted he’s not playing purposely if he’s not the starting SS.
Obviously Tulo's comments weren't ideal either, but I hope that you can see the difference in potential downside to each side's comments. Tulo's comments portrayed a proud guy looking to get back to or close to his former levels and if he can't, then he would rather not sit on the bench and be a cheerleader. I can understand the logic given his previous levels of play in his career and the pride that would come with that. If he can't keep up in spring training with other options and wants to pack his bags...congrats on a great career and the Jays can move forward. On the Atkins side, you're unnecessarily calling out a likely respected player in the game who is working towards a comeback and tanking any potential trade value that Tulo may have. What is the upside to this? I only see downside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->