Alright so I want to try Goalie..

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
I love playing LW and everything but in the summer where I live there is a ton of pick up games and so I guess I just really want to play goalie during the summer in pick up games. It looks amazing to be a goalie, besides some of the dicks that try to purposely hurt the goalie. Is it worth it to take the plunge money wise? I will also be playing roller hockey over the summer as a goalie.

Any insight from goalies would be appreciated....

I also would like to know what websites are good for buying well priced goalie gear since Ice Warehouse seems expensive in terms of goalie gear.

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
Well, It was worth the money to me. I got a lot of second hand stuff though so it worked out. It's a lot of fun but you shouldn't skimp on your gear. Try to borrow a set somewhere and see if you like it.

Do not, under any circumstances, skimp on the following items: Helmet, cup, chest/arm protector. They protect things that you really need to survive/reproduce.

Its been my experience that cheap goalie skates don't last very long. They take quite the beating, though it might be my style.

In general, stuff made for roller hockey isn't good enough to use for ice hockey. Buy ice hockey gear. Depending on the surface you play on, your leg pads could get beat up and torn playing roller- you should invest in those plastic things they use (which name eludes me at the moment) that keeps the pads in shape.

goaliemonkey.com go for the clearance stuff.

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
I love playing LW and everything but in the summer where I live there is a ton of pick up games and so I guess I just really want to play goalie during the summer in pick up games. It looks amazing to be a goalie, besides some of the dicks that try to purposely hurt the goalie. Is it worth it to take the plunge money wise? I will also be playing roller hockey over the summer as a goalie.

I also would like to know what websites are good for buying well priced goalie gear since Ice Warehouse seems expensive in terms of goalie gear.

Drink LOTS of water and take some out with you. I never thought I'd be caught saying this but playing goal is way harder than skating out

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
Would it be alright if I use my RBK 7K ice hockey skates, they are not goalie skates mind you....

Or would it spell disaster for my skates? Keep in mind that I am not playing in a league or anything, it is just pick up games and some light hearted fun.

Thanks for the input so far

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
No, you can't use your player skates. The plastic thing (its called a cowling) protects your foot from pucks, sticks, etc. Also, the blade is flat which gives you the proper mobility- which is very different from what a player needs. Also, the boot is lower for more ankle movement.

Even in a pick up game, I wouldn't use player skates. It's just not worth getting hurt.

And yes, you will need to drink a lot of water. You are covered in equipment which makes you hot, and you sweat a lot more.

Jorgg

Jan 2, 2008
My biggest warning to you: Shots that you get a piece of but still make it in are the worst things ever, imo. I haven't played goal in about two years (bad knees), and they still make me angry just thinking about them.

AntonFromAppState

Hurricaniac
Jan 18, 2007
North Carolina
Check craigslist for equipment. I met a guy who gave me roller hockey pads and a glove for free. Also my family and I have bought gloves, skates, and pads on there for cheap. My brother spent 60 dollars on goalie pads, chest protector, skates and a goalie bag.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Check your local rink shops for equipment. At least over here they have stuff for dirt cheap.

And used gear is usually better than brand new.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
No, you can't use your player skates.

I think what he meant was that using regular skates isn't a great idea. You can do it, but by doing so, you give up foot protection, some mobility, and comfort. Goalie skates are much more comfortable to stand on for long periods of time than are regular skates.

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
I'd recommend goalie skates. Not only are they better for all the reasons mentioned (especially protection), but they don't have the same rocker-type motion that player skates do. If you shift your weight forward in player skates you'll lose your balance. I learned that lesson the hard way. Only played twice in player skates before putting goal skates on the credit card.

One word about ice vs roller; if you get used to playing on ice you'll be very frustrated when you play roller. Moving laterally is much more difficult, both in a down position and while on your feet. I learned on roller and moved over to ice. I did both for a while but eventually realized I'd probably end up getting hurt playing roller, because I'd go to do something I'd do on ice without thinking and end up twisting my knee or ankle. Besides, once I realized how much more I could do on ice, I was totally hooked.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut
Ok, I made a quick change up and decided that I want to goalie in roller hockey. However, it's nothing serious and it's more recreational than anything. I was wondering if I use regular roller hockey skates and ice hockey pads. But, if I am playing in a smoothe parking lot will my pads get torn up or what?

We'reGonnaWin*

Ok, I made a quick change up and decided that I want to goalie in roller hockey. However, it's nothing serious and it's more recreational than anything. I was wondering if I use regular roller hockey skates and ice hockey pads. But, if I am playing in a smoothe parking lot will my pads get torn up or what?

They will definitely get torn up fierce. Either play with pads you don't care about or order pad covers for them http://soargoaliegear.kicks-ass.net/sgg/

Goalie_Gal

Jul 15, 2006
Your pads will get destroyed, definitely. I bought a used pair for $50 that was already pretty beat up, knowing I'd be playing on concrete. I just kept duct taping over the tears and it worked pretty well for me.

As for skates, regular rollerblades are fine. The puck is a lot lighter, so even though a hard slapper off your toe will still hurt, it's not going to break anything. Play around with the size of the wheels on your skates- try something smaller than the usual 80 or 76 mm they seem to come with. That will keep you closer to the ground. Rotate them regularly, too. The front wheels will take a real beating.

I still wouldn't skimp on the mask. I got an ice quality mask right from the start, even though I knew I'd be playing roller, and I was glad, because I took some pretty hard shots off the noggin.

The Goaltending Guru

Oct 25, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI

Pretty much everything that I was going to say has been said already...lol www.goaliemonkey.com or www.hockeygiant.com are probably the best websites for equipment. Goaltending is certainly a different animal in its' own right. It can be frustrating, it can be tiresome, but it can also be a blast. Have fun with it and don't give up!

Das Uber

Kitten Mittens
Feb 4, 2007
Omicron Persei 8
I figured there was no need to start a new thread. I want to play goalie, mostly street, possible open ice once in a blue moon. I saw a set out Bauer X pads for $200 and was wondering if they were any good. I know it's on the bottom of their product line, but I want something cheap that I can beat up and I figured these would be better than a set of Tour pads for pretty much the same price. If I like playing goalie I can buy a better set.

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
I'm all for getting a quality used pad over a cheap new pad. I've done that twice and its worked out both times...though I have too much gear now. The last thing I bought was a full set of Brian's stuff (beast pads, glove, blocker, chest protector) a pair of graf skates, promasque lid, and 3 sticks. I paid $350 and you could use this for college hockey, easily. Look on craigslist and stuff and see what you can find.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad