Alright guys, i've hit the wall.

Oct 18, 2011
2 months ago I got sick and I have been slow to get my strength back since then. I believe I have finally hit the point where on most of my lifts I have plateau'd and hit the wall. I've kind of been in the same routine for a while.

The good news is I've been losing weight, i'm the lightest i've been in a long time(224 today, my goal weight is about 210. I'm 6'2) I have definitely gained some definition and am generally more "fit" looking. I have been losing the weight without having to do much cardio(I do walk 3-4 miles per day but not much other than that)

So what should my next steps be here? right now i don't have a ton of extra income so buying a bunch of supplements and being able to eat 4-6 meals a day just aren't realistic at this moment(waiting on a higher paying job which would make it fine to do)

Is it a good thing that I have been able to cut weight, and yet essentially maintain my strength even though it's not really increasing? Curious what my next moves should be.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Cut weight and maintaining strength is definitely a good thing. Very difficult to lose weight without losing some muscle so...

I don't know your history or how heavy you lift, but most people are far off reaching a plateau where they have to start getting "clever" in their way of lifting to increase strength. For whatever reason muscles are now often talked about as having some sort of intelligence. So far I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that is correct (not saying it isn't out there - so if someone knows about some I would be very interested to see it).However, from my experience people tend to struggle mentally to always keep pushing themselves hard enough doing the same things over and over again - hence reaching "plateaus".

If you are doing close to 200kg in bench press etc. - then it is different. At that level I don't have enough knowledge to get out those last few %.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Focus completely on getting to 210 first. Don't worry about making any strength "gains" until you get there. Lifting the same weight at a lower bodyweight is a huge accomplishment. If you waiver between trying to lose weight and gain strength at the same time, you'll likely accomplish neither in the long run. When you get to 210 or less you can then up the calories a bit for a lean bulk, where you'll have an easier time gaining strength.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
^^ Agree completely with UM. I know you want both, and the journey will eventually lead you there, but there is just no way each week you are going to lose weight AND gain strength. It just won't happen that way.

Mad Brills*

Yeah, I had to lose weight and then turn it into muscle.

Went from 185 to 160 and then turned it to muscle

Oct 18, 2011
Focus completely on getting to 210 first. Don't worry about making any strength "gains" until you get there. Lifting the same weight at a lower bodyweight is a huge accomplishment. If you waiver between trying to lose weight and gain strength at the same time, you'll likely accomplish neither in the long run. When you get to 210 or less you can then up the calories a bit for a lean bulk, where you'll have an easier time gaining strength.

This makes plenty of sense, I think my weight loss has been sustainable too, it's been slow and steady. I have a pretty consistent weight lifting routine, and i mix in some core exercises every day plus the 3-4 miles of walking. I suppose I can kick up the cardio to get to 210 and go from there.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
^^ Agree completely with UM. I know you want both, and the journey will eventually lead you there, but there is just no way each week you are going to lose weight AND gain strength. It just won't happen that way.

I think it's very difficult to do, but it's possible. It's what I've done. I went from 210 to 175 (I'm 5'6), and my strength is still slowly increasing.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
What's super underrated are body weight exercises. (Aren't sure if you do that now or not, but that makes you strong and at a good weight. see military.) Pullups and pushups specifically; burpees, jump squats etc. to increase your muscular endurance.

Mad Brills*

Yep keppel, 5 months ago I couldn't do a pullup to save my life and now I can do 10 of them in a heartbeat

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
2 months ago I got sick and I have been slow to get my strength back since then. I believe I have finally hit the point where on most of my lifts I have plateau'd and hit the wall. I've kind of been in the same routine for a while.

The good news is I've been losing weight, i'm the lightest i've been in a long time(224 today, my goal weight is about 210. I'm 6'2) I have definitely gained some definition and am generally more "fit" looking. I have been losing the weight without having to do much cardio(I do walk 3-4 miles per day but not much other than that)

So what should my next steps be here? right now i don't have a ton of extra income so buying a bunch of supplements and being able to eat 4-6 meals a day just aren't realistic at this moment(waiting on a higher paying job which would make it fine to do)

Is it a good thing that I have been able to cut weight, and yet essentially maintain my strength even though it's not really increasing? Curious what my next moves should be.

Congrats on the progress so far, man. Keep it up.

The stuff I put on bold borders on irrelevant -- especially if your goal is to keep the weight coming off. The idea that more meals = better for fat loss has been shown the door. It doesn't offer any advantages over less meals as long as calories, in the end, are the the same.

It's very good that you've maintained your strength while dropping weight. This flies in the face of conventional wisdom when it comes to burning fat but the #1 priority of your training program when trying to get leaner is maintaining muscle. The #1 indicator that you're maintaining muscle? Strength.

The earlier you are in the training process the easier it is to gain strength while dieting, but with proper programming, even more advanced lifters can see strength gains while dieting. Sure, they won't be as significant as they'd be with more food in the system, but your training goal while dieting should be to pursue strength.

Cut weight and maintaining strength is definitely a good thing. Very difficult to lose weight without losing some muscle so...

I don't know your history or how heavy you lift, but most people are far off reaching a plateau where they have to start getting "clever" in their way of lifting to increase strength. For whatever reason muscles are now often talked about as having some sort of intelligence. So far I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that is correct (not saying it isn't out there - so if someone knows about some I would be very interested to see it).However, from my experience people tend to struggle mentally to always keep pushing themselves hard enough doing the same things over and over again - hence reaching "plateaus".

If you are doing close to 200kg in bench press etc. - then it is different. At that level I don't have enough knowledge to get out those last few %.

It's true and it gets tougher the leaner you get. In general, protein high and proper strength programming around basic lifts, with some basic (nothing complicated) periodization month to month can keep muscle/strength loss to a minimum -- if any.

I dunno man. For consistent and proper fat loss you basically have no choice but to pursue strength. You just have to be realistic that it's not going to come on fast.

That being said, most people aren't at levels of strength that it becomes a problem. Most people can actually make pretty significant strength gains while dieting if the programming is done properly.

It certainly can, just week to week the strength gains will be hard to notice. But really, even for advanced lifters focusing on strength specifically while gaining weight their strength numbers are more visible month to month and block to block rather than week to week.

It really just depends on the training age of the lifter and what he or she's been doing before.

Try a new program perhaps.

German Volume training perhaps?

The last thing you want to do while calories are low is pile the volume on.

One of the biggest mistakes those get while getting leaner is they try to pile more and more work on while continuing to lower calories -- generally leads to a brick wall. And hating life.

The key is take overall volume down, but focus basically 100% of your work towards strength. Intervals, sprints, strength circuits have a place but they should be kept short and intense (more is not better, but more intense and short is)...and then light cardio (being that it isn't stressful) can be used basically as much as you want.

This makes plenty of sense, I think my weight loss has been sustainable too, it's been slow and steady. I have a pretty consistent weight lifting routine, and i mix in some core exercises every day plus the 3-4 miles of walking. I suppose I can kick up the cardio to get to 210 and go from there.

How much are you eating?

You could add some more cardio...or you could lower the calories down a bit.

I think it's very difficult to do, but it's possible. It's what I've done. I went from 210 to 175 (I'm 5'6), and my strength is still slowly increasing.

Job well done.

What's super underrated are body weight exercises. (Aren't sure if you do that now or not, but that makes you strong and at a good weight. see military.) Pullups and pushups specifically; burpees, jump squats etc. to increase your muscular endurance.

Bodyweight exercises aren't like a secret pill or anything but they do hold some pretty solid value. Pull ups, specifically, are very metabolically demanding. But any bodyweight stuff tends to force the whole body to work together.

I use heavy pull up sets with clients just like I use heavy deads or squat variations when they're leaning out.

Oct 18, 2011
I've begun to incorporate some running, when I started working out seriously in August I would be dead by about 1/3 of a mile, but now I can do a mile the only problem is because of my back there is some nerve issues and it can sometimes cause my calves to die quick when i'm running but my general wind is good.

I think I'm going to start doing some consistent RPT now just to change up the routine. there is good advice here.

i don't have a super strict diet, i like to have an energy drink when i workout just part of my deal, cut out soda and rarely drink these days....just try to use common sense and don't eat at night often either.

hoping to dive back into surfing in the spring or summer too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->