Alphonso Davies best athlete ever from Canada?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Outside hockey? There might be a case.

Can't think of any Canadian NBA,MLB, or NFL players that has won more.

Steve Nash never won a ring.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Outside hockey? There might be a case.

Can't think of any Canadian NBA,MLB, or NFL players that has won more.

Steve Nash never won a ring.

Steve Nash is a two-time MVP.

I love Davies, but he is a great player in a super team full of them. Of course he is going to win more trophies.

He might be a top LB in the game, but many Olympic athletes, hockey players, baseball players, etc have done more. He has a long way to go.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm not even sure that's the most impressive accomplishment from a Canadian in the last 12 months, and by that I mean it's totally not.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Don't think he's there yet, but, in a very good position to do so. There's also a number of Canadian athletes that are making big impacts in their sport at a young age right now. I saw a tweet that outlined a list of them that all happen to be born in the year 2000:

Alponso Davies
Bianca Andreescu
Felix Auger Aliassime
Penny Oleksiak

RJ Bennet was also mentioned, but, given we've had a couple of other Canadians come into with high potential and not quite deliver, I'd hold off on including them. The above list have already established themselves pretty high in their respective sports.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
No one sane considers him a better left back than Andy Robertson, just to name one guy who is clearly better.

And no, he is nowhere close to being the best athlete from Canada nor will he ever be considered as that. I mean, imagine asking this on a hockey forum :facepalm:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He will probably become the most well known canadian athlete of all time. Bayern Munich is a big brand, and they are always present on the global stage in big tournaments.

It looks like davies will be a key peice in their core for many years to come. Canada has never had that level of athlete in soccer.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
And no, he is nowhere close to being the best athlete from Canada nor will he ever be considered as that. I mean, imagine asking this on a hockey forum :facepalm:

On the other hand globally more people follow the Champions League than know what ice hockey is.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Lennox Lewis won a Gold Medal for Canada at the Olympics. Although he then later considered himself British.

He is one of the top 10 heavyweight boxers of all-time.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
On the other hand globally more people follow the Champions League than know what ice hockey is.
Fame doesn't equate to greatness.

I am sure some substitute player on Real Madrid or Manchester United has more fame than Connor McDavid ("fame" meaning more people are familiar with the name).

That doesn't mean this substitute player should rank ahead of McDavid, if one were to make a "Top 500/1000 Athletes of All-Time" list.

(*the 500/1000 is completely arbitrary; I am not sure where McDavid would rank*)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad