Along the boards

IAMCANADIAN

Jun 10, 2004
There is training to get you in shape.
There is training to improve your shot.
There is training to improve your skating.

Is there training to help your game along the boards???

How do you position yourself along the boards defending and attacking?

I went to a QMJHL exhibition game last night and noticed some players faced the boards (looking down at the puck, using skates to move the puck, while bracing themselves with their hands along the dasher/glass, they were not snug up against the boards) and other remained sideways (using there stick/skates to move puck, shoulder snug against boards, absorbing oncoming checks).

Is there a specific way OR does it depend on the situation??? I always thought that turning your back (along with keeping your head down) was one of the worst things you could do in hockey.

Thanks in advance.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It depends on where your teammates are, what direction you need to go, and how you're positioned when the puck gets caught up in the boards.

For example, if I'm heading in for the puck with a guy bearing down on me and no teammates nearby, I go in facing the boards, lock it in my skates, and wait to see how the D comes in. That gives the teammate time to get you you, and if the D overcommits to one side of you with body and/or stick, you can kick it out to your stick in the opposite direction and burn him to get out in the open for a pass.

It's really one of the most situational things in hockey, and the key isn't so much practice as it is flat out wanting the puck.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I use my feet a lot along the boards. Lately I've been getting smashed in the head since I have to look down to control the puck. I do it most when on the PK, I keep the puck near my left skate since I'm right handed. If an opposing player tries to knock it out I use my stick to hit it back towards my left skate which is planted on the ice. It seems to work pretty good but you will take some hits.

CuteHockeyBunny

May 25, 2009
Montreal
There is training to get you good along the boards. Get a very good player to teach you how. It's all about shifting your body and positioning your legs to adapt to your opponents attacks.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Usually if you go to a hockey school for people that know how to skate, they spend some time instructing people on how to play along the boards.

It depends on the situation, really. Sometimes you'll want to press up against the boards and pin the puck with your skates... other times you'll want to put your stick horizontally against the boards and stick your butt out to create distance while playing the puck. Other times still you may want to tie up his stick.

I remember for about 1/2 an hour during one class we partnered up in threes. One player would skate into the puck and initiate boardplay. The second player had to try and dig the puck out or at least prevent the pass to the third player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad