Alone at Open Hockey

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Having a rink around here to yourself without paying 100-150 bucks just doesn't happen, I'm envious. I always liked being alone on the ice though (end of practice or shinny or whatever for a couple minutes until getting kicked off). The suggestion above of throwing cones randomly all over the place and stickhandling around them is one of my favorites, except I use(d) pucks.

Of course, I never got tired of ripping slappers at the empty net eitehr.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
No, usually at Stick&Puck you don't have to wear full equipment and scrimmages are not allowed.
Canlan Icesports has Stick&Puck at their locations i.e. in Oakville ->
http://www.icesports.com/oakville/drop-in-programs.aspx

I go to the one in Scarborough.... half-ice games occasionally breakout and nobody seems to mind. As long as you don't take over the entire ice it's fine.

Minimum req. is a helmet and skates... obviously you'd want to bring gloves and a stick too

GuitarAwesome

Feb 18, 2009
I was actually alone (more or less, we were three guys) at open hockey today. It cost me 2 bucks for 90 minutes of ice by myself. I did mostly skating drills, working on acceleration. All in all, it was pretty boring to be honest, drills are yawn. You guys say "oh, ice by myself would be great", but honestly, I go to hockey to PLAY hockey. That's what I live for, that's what I need. Not shooting around, I can do that on the rinks in the winter.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I was actually alone (more or less, we were three guys) at open hockey today. It cost me 2 bucks for 90 minutes of ice by myself. I did mostly skating drills, working on acceleration. All in all, it was pretty boring to be honest, drills are yawn. You guys say "oh, ice by myself would be great", but honestly, I go to hockey to PLAY hockey. That's what I live for, that's what I need. Not shooting around, I can do that on the rinks in the winter.

The stick n puck here is almost always just me there literally so all that freed up ice is nice to work on skating drills or what have you.

Skating drills are boring I agree but necessary .... especially for me since I can shoot already. Stick handling is my weakest aspect of my game though I am average at it. I don't suck tremendously at it I mean ... I'm just average at stick handling.

I'm a great passer at least.

I would like to be above average at stickhandling like I am with my shooting. I work at it honestly .... I just don't have it. I still work at it though .... genetics are genetics I think. The point is stick n puck with the rink to oneself is pretty cool.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
Looking for suggestions on what to do when I'm by myself at open Hockey. I go during the weekdays since I work weekends and usually get the ice to myself. I'm 36 and I started playing in April 09. I've gotten alot better but I want to work on skating with the puck and taking the puck off the boards quicker. I wish I could work on taking passes at full stride but thats if other people show up. Just wanted to hear some drills I can work on alone that will help me. Thanks.

Ok, you can go here to get free drills out the you know what!
http://www.passthepuck.net

Plus, it has videos of things you can work on. If you want help, send me a PM and I will send you some links on coaching tips from the site.

Good luck and welcome to the game!

Head coach

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Ooo wow a whole rink by yourself! Calgary has such a shortage or ice it's not even funny. I don't think you can find stick n puck around here only open shinny, which I have been to a few times and there is usually people.

I guess it's kind of like stink n puck though, since all you need is a helmet, stick and puck, but you have to stay in a corner and out of the way of the shinny game going on.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
I'm at these sessions a few times a week (Monday or Tuesday mornings, Thursday afternoons, sometimes Friday morning too)... the crowd varies from hardly anyone to pretty packed. It's been pretty quiet lately.

Yeah a year ago I had my legs sweped by some hot dog 13 year old AAA player and I landed on my elbow which broke my collarbone.

I drop in from time to time by my self but mostly go with my son during the summer.
I'll bet you would recognize me if we saw each other. I'm the old guy with the beard who sucks. but I'm getting better.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Yeah a year ago I had my legs sweped by some hot dog 13 year old AAA player and I landed on my elbow which broke my collarbone.

I drop in from time to time by my self but mostly go with my son during the summer.
I'll bet you would recognize me if we saw each other. I'm the old guy with the beard who sucks. but I'm getting better.

:laugh: That describes a lot of people actually!

Tough luck w/ you elbow though.... I've seen some really good guys go out to that, but no hot dogs. Years ago I used to run into people from time to time... but its been a LONG time since I've been bad enough to drill someone!

There was this one guy in his late 20s/30s was that freekin good, but he'd swear everytime him or his buddy made the slightest mistake. That didn't bother me personally, but there were a lot of kids there that day...

...he was about 6'4 and pretty built. I wasn't about to go tell him to stop!

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
:laugh: That describes a lot of people actually!

Tough luck w/ you elbow though.... I've seen some really good guys go out to that, but no hot dogs. Years ago I used to run into people from time to time... but its been a LONG time since I've been bad enough to drill someone!

There was this one guy in his late 20s/30s was that freekin good, but he'd swear everytime him or his buddy made the slightest mistake. That didn't bother me personally, but there were a lot of kids there that day...

...he was about 6'4 and pretty built. I wasn't about to go tell him to stop!

I went out today thinking that "Hey it's Thursday kind of overcast it should be a nice light day to get in some practice" 23 people showed up.

Ahh Haaa I know how you would know me there are only 2 of us with green gloves. Benny the guy who runs the gym in the back and has a hockey school, and me :) I have bright green Manitoba Mose pro-return gloves. LOL

I swear but not loud in front of the kids (Except the day I broke my sholder and then the f-word just came out over and over and over) and never at the kids.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I went out today thinking that "Hey it's Thursday kind of overcast it should be a nice light day to get in some practice" 23 people showed up.

Ahh Haaa I know how you would know me there are only 2 of us with green gloves. Benny the guy who runs the gym in the back and has a hockey school, and me :) I have bright green Manitoba Mose pro-return gloves. LOL

I swear but not loud in front of the kids (Except the day I broke my sholder and then the f-word just came out over and over and over) and never at the kids.

Did you go out to the morning one or the afternoon one?

I was at the afternoon one.... nowhere near 23 people I don't think. I saw someone that I thought was you and your son (guy with a beard teaching a kid in a red sweater) but I didn't bother going up to ask him :laugh: I think he had black gloves on though. I'll def. look for green gloves the next time I'm out.

If you ever see a jersey with purple writing on the front that says Stanima (not stamina...colour could be red, white, or green) you'll know it's me.

ALSO... you know the guy that runs the gym @ the back? Err... is it possible to pay for access to that? I've seen it there before, but I've never seen anybody go into it.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
Did you go out to the morning one or the afternoon one?

I was at the afternoon one.... nowhere near 23 people I don't think. I saw someone that I thought was you and your son (guy with a beard teaching a kid in a red sweater) but I didn't bother going up to ask him :laugh: I think he had black gloves on though. I'll def. look for green gloves the next time I'm out.

If you ever see a jersey with purple writing on the front that says Stanima (not stamina...colour could be red, white, or green) you'll know it's me.

ALSO... you know the guy that runs the gym @ the back? Err... is it possible to pay for access to that? I've seen it there before, but I've never seen anybody go into it.

I was out in the AM. w/o my son, son is a goalie. Yeah I know Benny just from the rink and I have asked him about using the gym, He can only work with under 18 and I think he runs the pro skate in Sept. When the ECHL, AHL, and OHL players start getting tuned up for camp.

I'll keep an eye out. I can only skate in the AM because of the 3:15 afternoon time. My son dosent even get off the school bus until 3:00 and I live about 20 min away.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
ACK! MIDNIGHT SHINNY!!!! You guys are so lucky .... I would love that!:handclap:

Midnight is to late for old dads like me.

Play till 1:30, or 2:00 then drive home and wind down from the adrenaline rush, fall asleep if your lucky by 4:00 AM and up at 5:00 AM for kids hockey game. But I understand that it's a good game at that time of the night.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
Midnight is to late for old dads like me.

Play till 1:30, or 2:00 then drive home and wind down from the adrenaline rush, fall asleep if your lucky by 4:00 AM and up at 5:00 AM for kids hockey game. But I understand that it's a good game at that time of the night.

Cripes I'm 41 .... thanks for telling me I am not acting my age ... yipppeee for me!:handclap:

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
The midnight shinny at our local rink it a fairly decent level of play. A lot of the guys that go out are what we'd consider B/C division players in the league. I hear that getting icetime can be a problem sometimes, since a lot of people show up. Five skaters plus eight on the bench per side is a bit too much for pickup, where nobody seems to like changing :laugh:

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
the noon shinny can be an issue getting ice time too. It's funny but there are 2 D/C levle players I can think of who get tired and float at the blue line to rest rather letting someone else get out and skate.

41 with no kid playing net at 7 AM, yeah I would be playing midnight too but 45 and kid playing at 7AM Midnight shinny sucks.

I am thinking about playing net at midnight on Friday nights with a beginner group just get an Idea of how to play net. I bought everything except the guts to stop pucks.

I just got back from NJ and I tried to find stick and puck from N-NJ to Central NJ and no one has it that I could find.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
I just got back from NJ and I tried to find stick and puck from N-NJ to Central NJ and no one has it that I could find.

I know Princeton Sports Center (we still call it Pro Skate) in South Brunswick has it, or at least did. Never did it myself, but it looked like all you needed was your skates, a stick, gloves, and a helmet.

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
I know Princeton Sports Center (we still call it Pro Skate) in South Brunswick has it, or at least did. Never did it myself, but it looked like all you needed was your skates, a stick, gloves, and a helmet.

Never found that listed in the phone book this time. I'll check it out next time we go down to visit. Thanks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad