Blue Jays Discussion: Almost time for real baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Figured with the inning break and low current poster turnout it's a good time to switch threads.

Jays lineup today:

Pillar (CF)
Martin (C)
Tulowitzki (SS)
Bautista (RF)
Pearce (DH)
Tellez (1B)
Upton (LF)
Barney (2B)
Elmore (3B)

Stroman pitching. Cobb on for the Rays. Last game before Bautista, Stroman, Osuna leave for the WBC.

GermanJay

Mar 4, 2017
Hey guys,

I was thinking about making a trip to NYC in the beginning of July. As the Jays are playing against the Yankees I want to go to a game. Now I have a question: has anyone of you ever been to Yankees Stadium? If yes could you recommend good places or places where Jays fans probably will sit?

Thanks in advance from Germany :)

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Hey guys,

I was thinking about making a trip to NYC in the beginning of July. As the Jays are playing against the Yankees I want to go to a game. Now I have a question: has anyone of you ever been to Yankees Stadium? If yes could you recommend good places or places where Jays fans probably will sit?

Thanks in advance from Germany :)

Yankee stadium's a cool place. Make sure to try the lemonade they make there - it's incredible.

There won't be any Jays sections there - but I wouldn't worry about it. Yankees fans are very civil, if anything they'll give you tips on where to go during your stay.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yankee stadium's a cool place. Make sure to try the lemonade they make there - it's incredible.

There won't be any Jays sections there - but I wouldn't worry about it. Yankees fans are very civil, if anything they'll give you tips on where to go during your stay.

uh strange when i went they wouldn't shut up with their terrible "insults", like USA,USA,USA when i walked past them. Oh even better "go home and play for your queen". Something about maple syrup too i cant remember. It was also funny because i am Australian but they weren't to know that.

In saying that to the poster going it was not like it was unsafe or anything like that,

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Thanks for making the decision to waive you a little easier Bo.

I feel bad for him watching this game. It's not like he's a multi-millionaire like a lot of these guys, he's fighting for what could be one of his last shots to stick in the bigs, and this will really hurt his chances.

Obviously I want the Jays to use the best possible roster, but I still feel for an undrafted guy like Schultz who has worked his way into this situation.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I feel bad for him watching this game. It's not like he's a multi-millionaire like a lot of these guys, he's fighting for what could be one of his last shots to stick in the bigs, and this will really hurt his chances.

Obviously I want the Jays to use the best possible roster, but I still feel for an undrafted guy like Schultz who has worked his way into this situation.

I can't really feel sorry for him if he's just not good enough. He throws ridiculously hard so if he doesn't stick around here someone else will take a flier on him. If anything he can probably get a pretty good salary over in Japan/Korea too.

GermanJay

Mar 4, 2017

Thanks man. Much appreciated

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

why would any professional broadcasting outfit be interested in Gregg Zaun? it's informative baseball discussion, not an old man yelling at clouds.

Lawrie is basically an acceptable replacement level player. He would be able to play 3rd, maybe 1st, and a passable emergency 2nd and he puts up a wRC+ in the 90-100 range and a 310-320 wOBA (average-ish).

The question becomes if you think it's worth having that kind of player on your bench who offers you less versatility than a Goins type, but instead has a bat that's relatively employable at the major league level.

and then you can look at whether or not you think that Lawrie's personality would integrate into the clubhouse and whether he could handle being a bench guy without being a distraction.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
uh strange when i went they wouldn't shut up with their terrible "insults", like USA,USA,USA when i walked past them. Oh even better "go home and play for your queen". Something about maple syrup too i cant remember. It was also funny because i am Australian but they weren't to know that.

In saying that to the poster going it was not like it was unsafe or anything like that,

Oh yeah, Yankee fans will chirp you if you're wearing Jays gear, but it's pretty harmless.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
You can probably land both Lawrie and Pagan for $3-5 mil (combined) and cut Zeke and Goins. Lawrie should be worth about 1 WAR more than Goins (considering that Goins was a negative WAR player last year, that may be conservative). Likewise, Pagan should be worth roughly 1 WAR more than Zeke.

So for an additional $3-5 mil for a 1 year commitment, we're getting 2 WAR, and with the market price for 1 WAR being $7-9 mil/year...that's one hell of a bargain.

Also, I know Brett has that personality thing...but I have to think that the combination of age and now being cut would have humbled him by now. Plus we've got more leaders here now than we did in his first stay here.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Pagan for Zeke I'm totally cool with.

Lawrie is a trickier proposition. My heart wants to bring him back and I think he fits better than Goins considering we have a Goins already in Barney. My head wonders if his dudebro attitude and hyper-aggressiveness will fit in the clubhouse without causing any waves.

Cutting "Zeke and Goins" also is a little awkward because as of right now Goins probably isn't even on the roster.

Rotation
1) Sanchez
2) Estrada
3) Stroman
4) Happ
5) Liriano

Pen
1) Osuna
2) Grilli
3) Biagini
4) Smith
5) Howell
6) competition LHP (right now seems like....ugh, Loup)
7) competition RHP (Barnes?)

Lineup
1) Travis (2B)
2) Bautista (RF)
3) Donaldson (3B)
4) Morales (DH)
5) Tulowitzki (SS)
6) Martin (C)
7) Smoak (1B)
8) Upton (LF)
9) Pillar (CF)

Bench
1) Saltalamacchia (C)
2) Pearce (Super-sub/starter, 1B/DH/OF/maybe some 2B/3B in a pinch)
3) Barney (super-util)
4) extra OF (either as a platoon/time-share with Upton or general 4th OF)

So Pagan becomes the guy in bench spot #4. But there's no Goins here, so dumping him for Lawrie accomplishes nothing. I guess instead the reasonable one would be if you could bury Smoak. Pearce plays more 1B, Lawrie could get some reps there. maybe Morales plays the odd game, Bautista fills in sometimes. who knows.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->