Prospect Info: Allan McShane (June 1st 2020: Rights Expired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
ASIDE from the Kotka and Olof picks which in itself is cool enough to me because of the size and skill combo, the fact that we may of drafted 3 centers who will probably be the #1 Centers of their respective CHL teams gets me overly excited, theyll all get in the 5"11 185 range hopefully, maybe put up 1.5 PPG seasons, and god willing, at least ONE of them force Team Canada's WJC hand

We can only hope
When i see what centers like Point and Tropchek are doing, I* don't worry about size, just talent level.

Reactions: Redux91

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He certainly doesn’t look like he has a skating problem in the video. He’s not necessarily fast, but reading up on him it sounded like he was Dagenais.

I will say that he could refine his technique. He takes a lot of choppy short strides.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
McShane is skilled, but needs a lot of work on his skating & pace. He tends to be one of those players that tries to slow the game down when he's carrying the puck. The end result is he ends up going even slower when he has the puck.

That's not going to fly in an NHL that uses speedy back pressure to eliminate time & space.

Like all Juniors, he needs to gain strength in his upper body and legs.

Howver, he's got solid hockey IQ at both ends of the ice.

I would say his NHL upside is a Mathieu Perreault type of player.

He could wind up as the Corey Locke pick of this draft too.

I was quite surprised Montreal drafted him. I thought for sure they'd go for someone like Blade Jenkins, who also admittedly needs work on his skating.

I expect McShane to put up points in junior.
We'll see how he develops. Montreal needs to help the kid work on his strength & skating something that they failed to do with McCarron until quite recently.

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
I am basing this entirely off highlight videos......but this kid looks legit. Good IQ, great shot and good passing ability. Looks like he was responsible for lots of Noel's success.

Reactions: Redux91

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Always good to see a General get drafted by the Habs. He seems to be in the mould of a young Plekanec; a sound, 2nd or 3rd line, defensively responsible center who distributes the puck well. Unlike Pleks he is more robust, willing to give and take hits to make plays, and has a modicum of offensive ability.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Always good to see a General get drafted by the Habs. He seems to be in the mould of a young Plekanec; a sound, 2nd or 3rd line, defensively responsible center who distributes the puck well. Unlike Pleks he is more robust, willing to give and take hits to make plays, and has a modicum of offensive ability.

Doesn't have the skating or the defensive game of Plek. Not the same player at all.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Nice shot, great passing, and very good vision. I'm honestly very surprised he was still around at #97? Looks like a second round pick to me.

Haven't seen enough of his skating to get a read on it. If its an issue, hopefully he can improve it.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He certainly doesn’t look like he has a skating problem in the video. He’s not necessarily fast, but reading up on him it sounded like he was Dagenais.

I will say that he could refine his technique. He takes a lot of choppy short strides.

yeah that's what I keep saying. It doesn't look problematic to me. I think I'm more worried about the lack of effort question marks. Looks like one of our more skilled picks for sure.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Nice shot, great passing, and very good vision. I'm honestly very surprised he was still around at #97? Looks like a second round pick to me.

Haven't seen enough of his skating to get a read on it. If its an issue, hopefully he can improve it.

Consistency was a problem.

But skating's the big one for him. His mechanics need a lot of work and he doesnt have the talent to make up for it. By that,I dont mean he's not talented, because he is, but rather he's not talented enough.

Reactions: NobleSix

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Consistency was a problem.

But skating's the big one for him. His mechanics need a lot of work and he doesnt have the talent to make up for it. By that,I dont mean he's not talented, because he is, but rather he's not talented enough.

Is he the one that is confirmed to be spending a lot of time with a skating coach this summer? Or is that another one if our prospects. Can't remember.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
It's Hillis. WTK said he's never worked with a skating coach before, will be his first time.

Hopefully McShane works on his skating as well. Not sure how big of an issue it is, but he definetly has the skills to be a player for us. Would be a shame if skating held him back.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
With his height at 5'11 it wouldn't be that hard to gain more speed and or working out the legs speed wise.. At forth round I expected him out at second, good grab, a well good playmaker, cross ice passes are amazing, Hockey IQ of second rounder. Maybe even late first.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Rewatching some U18 bits. Holy crap he had some great assists. He is #16

1:40

1:44

0:52, 1:42 for his goal

Tied for lead in points.

Side note, I don't like using the word generational, but Lafreniere is truly unbelievable.

Lafreniere is the gift from the hockey gods. Beliveau looking down upon us and giving us a gift. If we miss him ill be so, so sad.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Lafreniere is the gift from the hockey gods. Beliveau looking down upon us and giving us a gift. If we miss him ill be so, so sad.

Habs trade 2019 lottery protected first for ROR. It works in year one as we grab Kirby Dach but in year two, it's a nightmare as the French superstar is gifted to the Buffalo Sabres because of Bergevins lack of foresight.

Reactions: Stive Morgan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad