All USA top 3 in 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
The ''he's not in the same class as x.y'' argument I find is really really frighteningly dumb. For god's sake the top 10 of this draft class are all ''on the same planet''.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
X-SHARKIE said:
Peter Mueller is one of the most underated players in this draft crop and I too wouldn't be surprised to see Americans go 1-2-3. But I think the Toews hype has caught on strong, and he's one hell of a player and should go 2 or 3.... if i'm picking second though I probally would go with E. Johnson... the kid is a horse and has really impressed me at the WJC's, I still would like to see more poise with the puck when he distributes it though, on the outlet he seems to just play race horse hockey and skate it up, I would like to see him make a nice long feed once out of hiz own zone.

Nicklas Backstrom was excellent at the U-18's last year and his accomplishments in the SEL this year have caught my attention, and now he is carrying team Sweden at a tender age in the WJC's... he could go top five.

1. Kessel
2. Johnson
3. Toews
4. Mueller
5. Backstrom

Booya!

I'm on the same page. Only if I had the first pick, Kessel wouldn't be my selection.

1. Erik Johnson
2. Phil Kessel
3. Jon Toews
4. Jordan Staal
5. Peter Mueller
6. Nicklas Backstrom
7. James Sheppard
8. Bryan Little
9. Michael Frolik
10. Bobby Sanguinetti

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Leachmeister2000 said:
The ''he's not in the same class as x.y'' argument I find is really really frighteningly dumb. For god's sake the top 10 of this draft class are all ''on the same planet''.

:clap: :clap:

The voice of reason has spoken.

CalgaryFan1988

Jan 13, 2004
Alberta
Visit site
From what I have heard it is going to depend on who gets the #1 pick. Toews' game is described as more of a 2 way game, where as Kessel is described as 1 dimensional, and as far as US having more high pics, stands to reason, after winning the Under 18 and being the early favourites to win the WJHC its understandable. But nothing is in stone until after draft day, so voice opinions but why argue?

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Wait Kessel is tied for the lead in WJC scoring so far and he's done very little?

Wow.

And where is Toews on that WJC scoring leaders list? :sarcasm:
He has 8 assists with a 5 point (4 on the PP) game against Norway. Kessel has not lived up to the hype this tourney, plain and simple. He seems like your every year, average 1st overall pick to me. I wouldn't doubt if Eric Johnson takes #1 overall. Kessel is not a "special" talent.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
ryz said:
He has 8 assists with a 5 point (4 on the PP) game against Norway. Kessel has not lived up to the hype this tourney, plain and simple. He seems like your every year, average 1st overall pick to me. I wouldn't doubt if Eric Johnson takes #1 overall. Kessel is not a "special" talent.

You couldn't tell by the way the normally bias Pierre McGuire was talking when he said after one of Kessel's dazzling moves, "Kessel is electrifying".

L3DZ3P

Aug 18, 2003
Trois-Rivières,Qc
Rush5Collapse5 said:
You couldn't tell by the way the normally bias Pierre McGuire was talking when he said after one of Kessel's dazzling moves, "Kessel is electrifying".
Are you talking about the only move the kid has?

AgentNaslund*

CalgaryFan1988 said:
From what I have heard it is going to depend on who gets the #1 pick. Toews' game is described as more of a 2 way game, where as Kessel is described as 1 dimensional, and as far as US having more high pics, stands to reason, after winning the Under 18 and being the early favourites to win the WJHC its understandable. But nothing is in stone until after draft day, so voice opinions but why argue?

Toews is a real good player. He can play offence and he can play defence, but I really doubt he will be the number 1 pick. Kessel owns the number 1 spot right now, and it will take some dramatics if hes not the number 1 pick.

Transported Upstater

AgentNaslund said:
Toews is a real good player. He can play offence and he can play defence, but I really doubt he will be the number 1 pick. Kessel owns the number 1 spot right now, and it will take some dramatics if hes not the number 1 pick.

I actually agree with you for the first time ever :D

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
The word invisible has no place in a hockey guru's vocabulary. If you can't see a player on the ice, you're not watching, and if you're not watching, what are you talking about?

Here's the theory: those that claim a player is invisible merely fail to see anything in a hockey game but the speed and noise of the match. Any player that comes with speed, or makes some noise will be recognized. Those that make the subtle, unheralded play are often left without due credit. It's a shame, really.

Kessel is popular with the common folk because he's dynamic (i.e., generates speed and makes noise), but don't make the mistake of judging him to be the best player available in 2006 because that is still very much up in the air.

Silly comments here. I liked Golie's post though.

Transported Upstater

BigE said:
The word invisible has no place in a hockey guru's vocabulary. If you can't see a player on the ice, you're not watching, and if you're not watching, what are you talking about?

Here's the theory: those that claim a player is invisible merely fail to see anything in a hockey game but the speed and noise of the match. Any player that comes with speed, or makes some noise will be recognized. Those that make the subtle, unheralded play are often left without due credit. It's a shame, really.

Kessel is popular with the common folk because he's dynamic (i.e., generates speed and makes noise), but don't make the mistake of judging him to be the best player available in 2006 because that is still very much up in the air.

Silly comments here. I liked Golie's post though.

Ken Hitchcock doesn't notice anyone. :D

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
I should elaborate further on Kessel.

Although he's been far from horrendous this tournament (and everyone will point to his stats) he's failed to elevate his game from last year's tournament to this one. Now that teams are paying him more attention he's starting to falter under pressure. Exhibit A - his individual play.

Normally, I don't get on a prospect like this, but something about him just stinks. Maybe it was the interview I saw of him on the pre-tournament show, or the games that I've watched so far this year. I hate saying he's a punk, but that's exactly what he looks like.

On the other side of the American coin is Mueller - this kid I really, really like! Speed, size, some finesse; a very good combination. I've yet to hear anything of his ethic and dedication off ice, but from all indications he is a sound player on ice.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
BigE said:
Normally, I don't get on a prospect like this, but something about him just stinks. Maybe it was the interview I saw of him on the pre-tournament show, or the games that I've watched so far this year. I hate saying he's a punk, but that's exactly what he looks like.

That's an interesting perspective. He's normally seen as one of the most calm and collected, level headed kids around. Hardly even speaks on the ice for the most part.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
BigE said:
I should elaborate further on Kessel.

Although he's been far from horrendous this tournament (and everyone will point to his stats) he's failed to elevate his game from last year's tournament to this one. Now that teams are paying him more attention he's starting to falter under pressure. Exhibit A - his individual play.

On the other side of the American coin is Mueller - this kid I really, really like! Speed, size, some finesse; a very good combination. I've yet to hear anything of his ethic and dedication off ice, but from all indications he is a sound player on ice.

..Or maybe it's just that you cant stomach that Toews has been completely invisible and Kessel is tied for the WJC scoring lead.

hmm..

Transported Upstater

Rush5Collapse5 said:
..Or maybe it's just that you cant stomach that Toews has been completely invisible and Kessel is tied for the WJC scoring lead.

hmm..

Toews hasn't been invisible. Scoresheets don't tell the whole story.

Take any stats against Norway with a massive grain of salt. The same situation will apply against Italy in Torino.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
TransportedUpstater said:
Toews hasn't been invisible. Scoresheets don't tell the whole story.

Take any stats against Norway with a massive grain of salt. The same situation will apply against Italy in Torino.

Oh then I can take Toews stats against Norway with a grain of salt?
How much did he score in that game? Must have been tons since I can take them with a grain of salt.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
Kessel bashing

Rush5Collapse5 said:
Oh then I can take Toews stats against Norway with a grain of salt?
How much did he score in that game? Must have been tons since I can take them with a grain of salt.

Good point!! I don't reply much but I notice the constant stabbing of Kessel here. Did he pee in someone's Cheerios? Point is, Kessel DID get 5 pts against Norway! How many pts did Towes get against Norway! Kessel DOES have 10 pts and was in on both goals last night!

Seems to be quite a bit of border prejudice in some of these earlier comments. I'm biased in the fact that I love my Gopher hockey team. On the other hand, I feel I have a pretty objective point of view:

Is Kessel a hands down #1 pick? IMO No, but I have not seen any better forward in next yrs draft. He isn't as dominating in D1 hockey as I thought he would be. With that said, 2nd leading scorer on a high power offense, rookie of the month. 2nd youngest player in D1 turning 18 in Oct. If the team picking #1 next yr needs D, then I see E Johnson as #1.

Also, comparing him to Crosby is somewhat of a joke, at this point. IMO, Crosby has that "hockey sense" that I don't see in Kessel. Kessel can go from 0-60 on the drop of a dime, great shot, fairly strong on his skates. IF he stays (doubtful) with the Gophs one more yr...I think he will dominate.

Never heard him referred to as a "punk"...Everything I've seen, shy as hell.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
So many people got caught up in Kessel's hype last year that they can't appreciate him as a solid top-rate player this year.

Mueller is a mini beast and I am in absolute love with his game.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Mallard said:
So many people got caught up in Kessel's hype last year that they can't appreciate him as a solid top-rate player this year.

Mueller is a mini beast and I am in absolute love with his game.

Which makes an essential point. I am in love with Jordan Staal's game. You like Mueller. Someone else will defend Kessel till they die--no names. Another will pimp Erik Johnson like theres no tomorrow.

When you get to the draft, noone will have the same draftboard. This kind of discussion happens every year, and people fail to open their eyes. Worse, they slander and call names if you don't like their player.

Also, on Kessel. Its because of last years hype. And because he's a letdown of a prospect when you pit him against a Crosby or Ovechkin.

Gopher_Nut

Dec 8, 2005
Balej's Dance said:
Which makes an essential point. I am in love with Jordan Staal's game. You like Mueller. Someone else will defend Kessel till they die--no names. Another will pimp Erik Johnson like theres no tomorrow.

When you get to the draft, noone will have the same draftboard. This kind of discussion happens every year, and people fail to open their eyes. Worse, they slander and call names if you don't like their player.

Also, on Kessel. Its because of last years hype. And because he's a letdown of a prospect when you pit him against a Crosby or Ovechkin.

Very good points of which I agree!! In fantasy land, my Gophers in 06-07 would have: Kessel, Mueller, E Johnson, Wheeler, & Okposo..Unfortunately Kessel will likely be gone, Mueller changed his mind, & EJ is going up the bds so fast he may jump right to the NHL. Least talked about is Okposo who IMO will be a STUD in the next couple yrs. Built for the NHL, reminds me of Parrish with a bit of a quicker step.
:yo: :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad