All-Time Wrestling Draft

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Alright Im back after taking a few days to read some of those novels looking forward to round 2 good luck everybody. Props on some inventive stuff y'all came up with.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
Apologies to all. Made a few mistakes here in trying to get round 2 up.

Right now there are two dummy threads up and I can't seem to be able to add a poll in an edit. If @ColePens or someone could clean up and delete the threads without polls that'd be awesome.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
Round 2 will close tomorrow night and round 3 will be posted Friday morning. Get those votes in people.

Quite disappointed in the low voter turn out thus far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Say Hey Kid

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Quite disappointed in the low voter turn out thus far.

That's because everybody's in shock that I lost in the first round and they probably figure that the fix is in. Oh by the way - I forgot to mention one important thing before:

tYNjM8Kt5Dm5C7zum5OFRcdIPNVoEXKDmTP3weFTDAtsRQkA4yetkh8W9GYejJilLAPneieHSuFa5XVp7zj6mztaihEfcRSPgdPWiEazVzjmCDc

;)

Last edited:

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
Thank you to all who participated this year in the all time wrestling draft. Thank you to Cutter for carrying the bag for a few years. This year was easily the most fun I had during the draft rounds while also sweating the stiff competition for picks. I'm also legitimately surprised I made it to the end, let alone won.
Thanks to everyone being good sports.

Now with that out of the way...
Congratulations to @HandsomeHollywood on a well earned and hard fought victory. From first round exits in 2017 and 2018 to your commissioner, your leader, and most importantly, your champion. We couldn't have done it without me and I hope you look forward to living and cowering under the heel of my oppressive boot.

All hail KingHollywood! Long may he reign!

JJ1PoYH.png

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Fallout from the HFBoards Screwjob:

tenor.gif

AYzS.gif

Congrats to @HandsomeHollywood and @JackSlater for reaching the final and to @HandsomeHollywood for the win! Also big thanks to @HandsomeHollywood for hosting this year. Always a good time seeing everyone's cards.

Reactions: KingHollywood

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Looks like we got to the end. I kind of stay out of the critique of others cards, not that I think it would someone would take what I have to say personally, but in a peer-to-peer comparison exercise, I just like to let other's work speak for themselves and wouldn't want my opinion to change someone's mind. I think the results show that this was the most balanced draft we've had since I've been a part of it. Almost like how some people may critique music, you may have a different look at things on a day-by-day basis, and everything is what it is to you.

With that said, because this standing out to me me, and I'm only saying this because it didn't affect the result nor how I voted, but to @JackSlater, the structure of that Owen Hart/Jericho match would've given it a great opportunity for Owen at the top of the card, and being able to do so without a world title being involved (as to not take anything away from the Steiner/Bret Hart match you did choose to go last). That's not to say that the main event or most intriguing match has to go last. It was probably the best match in the tournament. Every year I try to take something to chew on for next year, so that's what I'll be considering.

Congrats to @KingHollywood, well deserved and much obliged for taking up the mantle running the draft as well. When we matched up in the first round, I had a pretty good idea that everyone thought it was one of the top 2 or 3 cards and played out that way. All the accolades are well-deserved.

Also appreciate the comments to my cards as well, running a tie with the winner is definitely a credit given I had 3 women's matches and put a lot of resource into a tag match. There's no real science to how I put things together (I know @les Habs said i know how to put a card together), I just take ideas and figure out how to execute them as I don't think centering around my card on a specific theme is a strength of mine.

Reactions: theedge9

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
One thing I will reiterate as I think I said earlier, I don't think anyone who has participated in the past put out their best work this year. That's not to say they cards were bad or way off past cards, but rather to note how competitive it was with regards to picks. Also I think this becomes more difficult as time goes on if you're trying to do something that's never been done before.

Anyway, an idea for next year just came to me. An entire card idea at that. Might have to jot it down quick before it goes down the memory hole.

Also appreciate the comments to my cards as well, running a tie with the winner is definitely a credit given I had 3 women's matches and put a lot of resource into a tag match. There's no real science to how I put things together (I know @les Habs said i know how to put a card together), I just take ideas and figure out how to execute them as I don't think centering around my card on a specific theme is a strength of mine.

But you put the matches in an order that makes sense and you know who to bill where/when. Rarely if ever an issue with your cards if I recall correctly.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Just something to throw out here - a few years ago I ran a similar type of draft on another site ( Crazy Max - a wrestling tape/disc trading site ) and once the regular tournament was over I tried something out just for fun. I randomly assigned every GM a different roster that had already been selected just to see what type of card they could come up with. Everybody involved seemed to enjoy the process of coming up with match-ups using a completely new roster.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Looks like we got to the end. I kind of stay out of the critique of others cards, not that I think it would someone would take what I have to say personally, but in a peer-to-peer comparison exercise, I just like to let other's work speak for themselves and wouldn't want my opinion to change someone's mind. I think the results show that this was the most balanced draft we've had since I've been a part of it. Almost like how some people may critique music, you may have a different look at things on a day-by-day basis, and everything is what it is to you.

With that said, because this standing out to me me, and I'm only saying this because it didn't affect the result nor how I voted, but to @JackSlater, the structure of that Owen Hart/Jericho match would've given it a great opportunity for Owen at the top of the card, and being able to do so without a world title being involved (as to not take anything away from the Steiner/Bret Hart match you did choose to go last). That's not to say that the main event or most intriguing match has to go last. It was probably the best match in the tournament. Every year I try to take something to chew on for next year, so that's what I'll be considering.

Congrats to @KingHollywood, well deserved and much obliged for taking up the mantle running the draft as well. When we matched up in the first round, I had a pretty good idea that everyone thought it was one of the top 2 or 3 cards and played out that way. All the accolades are well-deserved.

I understand where you're coming from there. Owen vs Jericho was my strongest match and I'm quite confident that it was the main draw for people, particularly with, as noted somewhere in this thread around round 3, the awareness that 1998ish Steiner was not going to be something that most would want. In the end though for me the show revolved around Bret Hart taking down the monster and Owen's angle was a small part of that. I also like the structure of the card to basically have three parts, with a rise/climax followed by a breather match and then repeat until the main event, and Owen vs Jericho fulfilled that role nicely for the second "act". There are plenty of good examples of times when a non-championship match went on last or should have gone on last but in the end I had to go with what worked for what I wanted for the card overall. I suspect that most would agree with your opinion on this however. I'd guess that pushing the Owen/Jericho match more along with some newish big name in place of Steiner, putting Misawa vs Miyahara and maybe DiBiase vs Regal would have been a positive to people.

As an aside, I don't know about anyone else but I'm interested in any comments on a card I put out, whether positive, negative or ambivalent. I'm unlikely to be swayed very much by what anyone says but it's always interesting to see what people are thinking. I'd like to see more people comment on each card at least in the first round.

Just something to throw out here - a few years ago I ran a similar type of draft on another site ( Crazy Max - a wrestling tape/disc trading site ) and once the regular tournament was over I tried something out just for fun. I randomly assigned every GM a different roster that had already been selected just to see what type of card they could come up with. Everybody involved seemed to enjoy the process of coming up with match-ups using a completely new roster.

Interesting idea. I'd be up to re-book some random person's card as a way to kill a few minutes.

Reactions: GKJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->