All-Time Wrestling Draft

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I have a word document with ideas, but it's hard to get through them all. Sometimes they are storylines or sometimes wrestler specific ideas. Some are still lingering from my first draft and seem unlikely to ever get used. This year I am continuing an angle with Sunny that I started two years ago and also using the angle I planned to use with Tully Banchard since last year, plus I was set on using Eddie Gilbert and giving him a bit of a story. Got lucky and was in position to select some of my favourites like Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Christian but I had no real ideas for them. I have no big plans for future drafts, but I try to drop a few ideas in a card that can be picked up on later. A lot of what I am putting out is just stuff to amuse myself but hopefully some others will enjoy it as well.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
For me it's really simple, which card to I prefer? I take a lot into account the matches, the match order, the wrestlers involved, the storyline if there is one and the result if there is one. If there isn't a storyline of some sort I likely won't have as much interest. If it's just a hypothetically "great match" that only goes so far. The matches themselves are/were seldom not the most interesting thing to me when watching wrestling.

I've posted the results to my show every year. But they're in purely optional spoiler tags.

You'll like what I tell you to like god dammit.

This. If the results are in spoiler tags, which mine always are, and you don't want to know the results, then don't open the spoiler tags. Preferably there's a build to the result, but even if there isn't I'm fine knowing what the results are. I find it kind of pointless to dream up a card or a match without having any idea as to how you'd like it to end.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I have many match ideas scrawled onto multiple pieces of scratch paper. They're actually pretty organized. The catch is that many of them are matches that would likely appear at the top of a card and so I can only realize so many with just one draft group. That said I'm glad we don't have two draft groups because if we did more match ideas for future cards would be lost. What's kind of cool though is coming up with match ideas while you're making picks. I thought I'd be able to land most of my picks and I grabbed quite a few, but at least one match type/idea came just from drafting and it's at the very bottom of my card. I have another match I was tempted do the last two years and this year I finally pulled the trigger. It's a standard match type, but I altered it slightly to "make it work". This year and last year I feel as though I could have had one less match per card and saved them for the future, but I also worry about never being able to pull them off again so I did them.

I'm quite surprised I was able to come up with as much variety as I did this year. After doing this two years and doing multiple match types I wanted to do some different matches and I found I was able to do so. Now I feel as though next year, assuming I put myself through this again, will be tough.

GongShowWilly

time to pay the Piper
Jan 25, 2016
Alberta
giphy.gif

Reactions: CHGoalie27

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
Match ups are set. All but one card is in. The first round will go up pretty quick after I'm sent the final card. Stay tuned.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Match ups are set. All but one card is in. The first round will go up pretty quick after I'm sent the final card. Stay tuned.

It's an early Christmas miracle - my card has been sent in. :towel:I sent in 2 versions - one has just the card and then one with a review. Since some of you want the results and a review and some don't - if you want a rundown of my PPV card just let me know in this thread and I will PM it to you. Thanks to everybody involved - especially Jimmy Corn.....I mean HandsomeHollywood for organizing it and keeping things running smoothly.

Reactions: HandsomeHollywood

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
We're getting going. Unfortunately I made the mistake of posting all the match ups forgetting I'm waiting on an @OmniSens edit by way of a ruling. Hopefully that will be passed in tomorrow and then I will have Bogart vs OmniSens vs theedge9 up asap.

For the two three way dances, the top 2 vote getting cards will be moving on to round 2. All matches were made by the impartial approach of drawing names out of a hat at my kitchen table.

Good luck to all.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I enjoyed reading through everyone's cards. The draft itself is always a good time and I enjoy reading what interesting stuff people create. Good job everyone and thanks to HandsomeHollywood for keeping things running smoothly.

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
I haven't finished reading and voting yet. Good job everyone.

There is no set date for when round 1 ends, but it won't be up super long. I'll make a judgment call as to when to move on. Once the voting slows down or I notice most have voted in the matchups we'll be moving on. Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 days per round I imagine.

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
A couple of close ones here. Unless there's a tie I'd like to close the polls tomorrow night and put up round 2 Monday morning.

theedge9

May 21, 2018
Any chance we can leave the polls open for 1 more day?
I had a super busy weekend and didn't get a chance to read over each card as thoroughly as I would like.
If we could close them tomorrow night- that would be great!

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Any chance we can leave the polls open for 1 more day?
I had a super busy weekend and didn't get a chance to read over each card as thoroughly as I would like.
If we could close them tomorrow night- that would be great!

Yeah - I'd like that too. I scored everybody's card but forgot to register my votes and now I can't find my f'n scoring sheet. How about extending it to 6 pm Eastern on Monday ????

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad