All-time ORIGINAL PURPLE UNIFORM Kings team

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
The criteria for this list is players who wore the original LA Kings purple/gold uniform design from 67-68 through 79-80. (After that they were still purple/gold but added white trim and contrasting shoulder/arm panels) Preference is given to longevity with the team over a player who played one season.

Forwards

Marcel Dionne - Mike Murphy - Charlie Simmer
Butch Goring - Bill Flett - Bob Berry
Eddie Joyal - Lowell MacDonald - Dave Taylor
Juha Widing - Real Lemieux - Mike Corrigan

Defense

Bill White - Bob Murdoch
Terry Harper - Gilles Marotte
Harry Howell - Dave Hutchison

Goal

Rogie Vachon - Gary Edwards

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Good team. They'd probably beat the Penguins one. L.A. had a lot of good players pass through there in the 70s.

The big omission for me is Bob Nevin. He was only there for three years, but they were three of his best years and he was a huge part of their big season in 74-75.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Good team. They'd probably beat the Penguins one. L.A. had a lot of good players pass through there in the 70s.

The big omission for me is Bob Nevin. He was only there for three years, but they were three of his best years and he was a huge part of their big season in 74-75.

Good call on Nevin. I was never a Cowboy Flett fan, so he can take his spot on the roster.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Bob Wall would make a good versatile spare for this team. Played huge minutes for them at defense for two seasons, and also spent two seasons as a LW. Was their captain as well.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
WHAT! no Murphy? No Fox?:naughty:

Rook year was 1980. :)

I know he just misses your time line, but i have to give close honorables to the early years of Bernie N.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I'm happy to see that Eddie Joyal was strong enough to get mention on an All-Time team. The only player worth mention I share my family name with. I know he had a couple of good offensive season with the Kings, but does anyone who saw him play can give me some insight on him?

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
I'm happy to see that Eddie Joyal was strong enough to get mention on an All-Time team. The only player worth mention I share my family name with. I know he had a couple of good offensive season with the Kings, but does anyone who saw him play can give me some insight on him?

He was an above average centerman and you knew he would succeed in the NHL. I worked some games, as a linesman, when he played for the Edmonton Flyers. I also saw him play in the NHL and WHA.

I was friends with Dennis Riggin, who was expected to take over for Terry Sawchuk, in Detroit, but he suffered a career ending eye injury. I went to a Flyers morning skate and after the skate, I was driving Riggin, Bruce McGregor and Eddie Joyal back to their hotel. One of the traffic lights turned yellow and I gunned the car through the intersection. Riggin said, "Be careful, you have a million dollars of talent in the car."

Almost thirty years later, I saw Riggin and brought up the incident. I then asked him what he thought the "talent" would be worth today? He laughed.

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
I recommend adding, on defense, one of Bob Wall, Larry Cahan, and Bob Pulford. Though they don't score highly in terms of the longevity criterion, they were the first three captains in franchise history. I personally would give preference toward Pulford.

Good call on Nevin. I was never a Cowboy Flett fan, so he can take his spot on the roster.

Why weren't you a Cowboy Flett fan?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I recommend adding, on defense, one of Bob Wall, Larry Cahan, and Bob Pulford. Though they don't score highly in terms of the longevity criterion, they were the first three captains in franchise history. I personally would give preference toward Pulford.

Why weren't you a Cowboy Flett fan?

I already mentioned Bob Wall, but yeah, I completely forgot Cahan. he definitely deserves a spot on this roster.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
He was an above average centerman and you knew he would succeed in the NHL. I worked some games, as a linesman, when he played for the Edmonton Flyers. I also saw him play in the NHL and WHA.

I was friends with Dennis Riggin, who was expected to take over for Terry Sawchuk, in Detroit, but he suffered a career ending eye injury. I went to a Flyers morning skate and after the skate, I was driving Riggin, Bruce McGregor and Eddie Joyal back to their hotel. One of the traffic lights turned yellow and I gunned the car through the intersection. Riggin said, "Be careful, you have a million dollars of talent in the car."

Almost thirty years later, I saw Riggin and brought up the incident. I then asked him what he thought the "talent" would be worth today? He laughed.

Thanks for the recollection!

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Yeah, its only for players who wore the original style uniform up until and including 1979-80... but if a great player had his rookie season in 79-80, I give preference to a player who logged more time with the team.

My memory of who played what forward position is hazy so in some cases a player is listed on hockey reference sites as "forward" and I'm not sure what was his prime position.

Thanks for the heads-up on Wall and Cahan. I never got to see much of the Kings in those first few seasons so I was unsure of their ranking in relation to other players. I know Cahan did log some time with the Seals.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Gary Sargent was great, but if you assume Cahan goes in Hutchison's place, can Sargent's short time in LA outweigh any of those guys? Tough to say.

GF/GA stats indicate Sargent averaged over 25 minutes per game in his short career!

Chumley

Dec 31, 2010
Victoria, B.C.
Dave Taylor-Marcel Dionne-Charlie Simmer
Bob Berry-Butch Goring-Mike Murphy
Ross Lonsberry-Juha Widing-Bob Nevin
Dan Maloney-Eddie Joyal-Bill Fleet

Bob Murdoch-Gilles Marotte
Gary Sargent-Dave Hutchinson
Bill White-Terry Harper

Rogie Vachon
Mario Lessard

11ball

Nov 27, 2010
Bob Wall would make a good versatile spare for this team. Played huge minutes for them at defense for two seasons, and also spent two seasons as a LW. Was their captain as well.

I missed seeing Wall as one of the original Kings. But I saw him as an original WHA Oiler and later with the San Diego Mariners. He was OK. Actually, another original King, Brent Hughes played quite a bit better than Wall with the San Diego Mariners. Wall may have been a slightly better skater than Hughes, but Brent did well as a stay at home defenseman for the Mariners (paired with Kevin Morrison.)

11ball

Nov 27, 2010
Rogie Vachon
Mario Lessard

For the goalies, I agree.

Some other names,

I never did see Sawchuk. I've seen Desjardine and Rutledge play good games for other teams. i wish I could have seen Billy Smith as a King!

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Thanks, Lessard got in two seasons in the original jerseys but don't recall seeing him in a game so wasn't sure how he stacked up against Gary Edwards.

11ball

Nov 27, 2010
Gary Sargent-Dave Hutchinson

I like that you have Gary Sargent on this list. He developed into a good 2 way defenseman. OTOH, Hutchinson was horrible (at least during his first 2 seasons with the Kings.) He was nothing but a goon during those days. He career would have been much better served playing a lot of minutes developing in a good development league - the old CHL opposed to the WHL and AHL. I have a hunch that his first 2 years in the WHA was just as a tough guy and he probably didn't play that much and he didn't develop. Heck, Rogie and Gary Edwards could have probably won the Vezina in 74-75 if they didn't have to deal with Hutchinson's cough ups. Anyone who saw enough Kings games during his early Kings years probably has their share of stories about his screw ups. I didn't see him after he left the Kings. However, there are a couple of people whose opinions I trust that tell me did decently while still being very tough during his Black Hawk days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->