All-time ORIGINAL GREEN UNIFORM Northstars team

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
The criteria for this list is players who wore the original green/white/yellow uniforms of the North Stars from 1967-68 through 1980-81. Although there were some variations of uniform design during those years, in 81-82 they added black to the uniforms. Preference is given to longevity with the team over someone who played only one season.

Forwards

Al MacAdam - Bill Goldsworthy - JP Parise
Murray Oliver - Danny Grant - Ernie Hicke
Jude Drouin - Tim Young - Dennis Hextall
Bobby Smith - Steve Payne - Dean Prentice

Defense

Lou Nanne - Brad Maxwell
Barry Gibbs - Craig Hartsburg
Dennis O'Brien - Fred Barrett

Goal

Cesar Maniago - Gump Worsley

...this was a tough team to compile, with the influx of good new players in their last three seasons upsetting what I thought would be a fairly set roster. Ray Cullen and Buster Harvey were dropped from the forwards list, and I had a hard time remembering how some of the d-men stacked up on the depth chart. Should Tom Reid have made the team ahead of Fred Barrett? Should Ted Harris be on there too? And Gilles Meloche ahead of Gumper in nets?! Both are big favorites and have sentimental value - one from my favorite team and the other because he was such a character and one of the last unmasked hold-outs. Your comments welcomed, as always...

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
The criteria for this list is players who wore the original green/white/yellow uniforms of the North Stars from 1967-68 through 1980-81. Although there were some variations of uniform design during those years, in 81-82 they added black to the uniforms. Preference is given to longevity with the team over someone who played only one season.

Forwards

Al MacAdam - Bill Goldsworthy - JP Parise
Murray Oliver - Danny Grant - Ernie Hicke
Jude Drouin - Tim Young - Dennis Hextall
Bobby Smith - Steve Payne - Dean Prentice

Defense

Lou Nanne - Brad Maxwell
Barry Gibbs - Craig Hartsburg
Dennis O'Brien - Fred Barrett

Goal

Cesar Maniago - Gump Worsley

...this was a tough team to compile, with the influx of good new players in their last three seasons upsetting what I thought would be a fairly set roster. Ray Cullen and Buster Harvey were dropped from the forwards list, and I had a hard time remembering how some of the d-men stacked up on the depth chart. Should Tom Reid have made the team ahead of Fred Barrett? Should Ted Harris be on there too? And Gilles Meloche ahead of Gumper in nets?! Both are big favorites and have sentimental value - one from my favorite team and the other because he was such a character and one of the last unmasked hold-outs. Your comments welcomed, as always...

Never was a North Stars fan. It would be easier to judge if the forwards were listed by position as in a regular lineup.

Goldsworthy - Hextall - Hicke
MacAdam - Smith - Payne
Grant - Drouin - Parise
Larose - Oliver - Prentice

Defense is pretty much what I'd have.

Goaltending, I'd put Meloche in just because of his playoff success.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Lou Nanne? Lou Nanne? I had North Star season tickets for their first six years.

I'd take Elmer Vasko or Ted Harris over him.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
C-L-R
1: Tim Young - JP Parise - Bill Goldsworthy
2: Bobby Smith - Steve Payne - Al MacAdam
3: Jude Drouin - Dennis Hextall - Danny Grant
4: Murray Oliver - Ernie Hicke - Dino Ciccarelli

The top line is the top line more for years on the team. The second line is the same as Mad Habber and is probably the best line.

Dino makes my team because I'm biased to 1981 and his 14 playoff goals puts him at 5th in franchise history at the end of 81. Besides this is one of the few all-time teams he'll make.

Defense doesn't leave you with many options. mbhhofr may not like Lou Nanne, but there aren't many great options. Hartsburg's probably the only one I'd pick and actually like, as opposed to hating less than all the others.

G
1: Gilles Meloche
2: Cesare Maniago

Gump shouldn't make it. With my 1981 bias, I'd even put Beaupre ahead of Gump (as a North Star).

Since the timeline ends in 1981, Meloche's bad years don't weigh him down, and he has playoff success. Maniago deserves some credit for being a decent goalie on a team with defencemen that I couldn't be bothered to sift through because they were so mediocre.

Last edited:

Chumley

Dec 31, 2010
Victoria, B.C.
J.P. Parise-Bobby Smith-Danny Grant
Al MacAdam-Tim Young-Bill Goldsworthy
Ernie Hickie-Jude Droin-Steve Payne
Dennis Hextall-Roland Eriksson-Dean Prentise

Brad Maxwell-Craig Hartsburg
Lou Nanne-Barry gibbs
Greg Smith-Fred Barrett

Gilles Meloche
Ceare Maniago
Pete LoPresti

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Thanks for the input, Chumley. I didn't have Eriksson on there, was he a penalty killer type player?

Chumley

Dec 31, 2010
Victoria, B.C.
He was more of a smooth play making player. After a couple good years in Minni he came over to the Canucks as a third liner. After one year, he faded.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Although he only played for Minnesota for 1 1/2 years, I'd put Leo Boivin on the team instead of Dennis O'Brien.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Bumping up an old thread to see if anyone else wants to talk about old Northstars!

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
R.I.P.
billmasterton.jpg

cam042686

Sep 26, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Bumping up an old thread to see if anyone else wants to talk about old Northstars!

It's funny this old post showed up as I just put one out on the 71 Semi-finals between Montreal and Minnesota. God, I remember that series. What a scare the North Stars put into a very good Montreal team.

Craig Wallace

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
It's funny this old post showed up as I just put one out on the 71 Semi-finals between Montreal and Minnesota. God, I remember that series. What a scare the North Stars put into a very good Montreal team.

Craig Wallace

Your post is what motivated me to bump up my old post

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site

Craig Wallace

I think there was a playoff series against the Bruins that was very Slapshot-like. 1981. It might be the only playoff series they had against each other? Bruins were swept in 3 games, there was 90 PIMs for the series. (the Wensink incident was a reguklar season game a few years before.)

Ironically, while having a career 74-28-3 record vs the Minnesota/Dallas Stars, the Bruins have a 2-10 record vs the Wild.....there worst pct. against any team....ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->