OT: All-time NHL player fantasy draft? Discussion

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
We discussed it a little bit in the other thread, but is there any interest in doing an all-time NHL player fantasy draft?

Would you be interested in taking part and what rules would you like to see?

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yes. But only players active in 2001.

So players who played in 2001 and every season after? That would make it easier to keep track of. I’d be cool with that.

What about also giving everyone one pick of any player from any era as well? It would be cool to see some throw back guys on teams too.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
All time, or limited by year range? I am good either way...I think reasonable limits would be not going back before WW2, and no players active this year.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I just looked at some player options and realized these teams are going to f***ing rip.

Also, this is 100% something @RoyIsALegend should do to see how many caused concussions his team would total.

It would be cool to see some of the older folks participate as well. I guess @Tweaky is our only hope for having seen any of these guys actually play. :sarcasm:

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Also, a goofy idea....GMs have to specify the year of the player we are picking, and each player can be chosen for only three years of their career....so three of us get Gretzky, one gets 81-82, another gets 83-84, and whoever takes his 3rd year has to choose between 84-85 and 85-86 (73 goals, or 163 assists). Also, do you take one of those over Mario 88-89? Would be a ton tougher to track, and would likely have to limit each team to one year of each player.

Or could do a draft of each block of years...figure out how many players we have, and how many years we want to cover (say 10 GMs and 60 years, 1960-2020). Random the order for the first 6 year block (season ending 1960-1966)and everyone has to pick from that period. After that round, pick order for 2nd round (1967-1972) is shifted by one...whoever picked 2nd in round one now picks first, and R1P1 picks R2P10. Each GM picks progressively earlier each round, until they have picked first for a round, then they get shifted to last pick. We adjust the number of years based on number of GMs (55 years turns into 11 5 year blocks, 9 GMs means 7 year blocks, etc.). No need to make a full 20-23 person roster. or could do each block of years as a snake with two picks per team, and keep the rotation, and add that one player on a team twice from the same period, but from different periods is fine. This would likely get confusing as well.

Straight up, 1967-2019, normal snake draft, 23 roster slots is the easiest.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Also, a goofy idea....GMs have to specify the year of the player we are picking, and each player can be chosen for only three years of their career....so three of us get Gretzky, one gets 81-82, another gets 83-84, and whoever takes his 3rd year has to choose between 84-85 and 85-86 (73 goals, or 163 assists). Also, do you take one of those over Mario 88-89? Would be a ton tougher to track, and would likely have to limit each team to one year of each player.

Or could do a draft of each block of years...figure out how many players we have, and how many years we want to cover (say 10 GMs and 60 years, 1960-2020). Random the order for the first 6 year block (season ending 1960-1966)and everyone has to pick from that period. After that round, pick order for 2nd round (1967-1972) is shifted by one...whoever picked 2nd in round one now picks first, and R1P1 picks R2P10. Each GM picks progressively earlier each round, until they have picked first for a round, then they get shifted to last pick. We adjust the number of years based on number of GMs (55 years turns into 11 5 year blocks, 9 GMs means 7 year blocks, etc.). No need to make a full 20-23 person roster. or could do each block of years as a snake with two picks per team, and keep the rotation, and add that one player on a team twice from the same period, but from different periods is fine. This would likely get confusing as well.

Straight up, 1967-2019, normal snake draft, 23 roster slots is the easiest.
I think it's worth brainstorming some rules but I also think these are too complicated given that careers span over several time periods, and I think dealing with duplicates or comparisons of yearly performance are too intricate in a fantasy draft.

I was thinking, could you do a rule that applied to everyone for X amount of time that was based on teams or individual years that resulted in no duplicates. Something like everybody has to pick from team X then Y then Z, but I think that could end up being annoying as well. In any case I think it's important that every pick is the player's peak and there are no duplicates on teams.

Also it should be noted that if we decide on some (any) rule, I'm game, but I wouldn't really be that interested in picking anyone who didn't play at least in the 80's, or pretty much the 90's.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
My preference is to not get too complicated with the rules. I think it’s just going to make people frustrated if they have to keep track of so many things with each pick.

I agree with Risto that selecting players from the 80’s/90’s on is probably a good idea. And every player you choose would be taken from the best three years of their career.

I wouldn’t put any limits on how many players you can pick from a team. If someone wants to recreate the Stanley Cup winning Avs, all power to them.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
My preference is to not get too complicated with the rules. I think it’s just going to make people frustrated if they have to keep track of so many things with each pick.

I agree with Risto that selecting players from the 80’s/90’s on is probably a good idea. And every player you choose would be taken from the best three years of their career.

I wouldn’t put any limits on how many players you can pick from a team. If someone wants to recreate the Stanley Cup winning Avs, all power to them.
Yeah, like @Tweaky said I think it would be easiest to just do a regular one and let it be all insane. Are we using EP or CF positions for this one, since they have those for retirees too? Should note that those are rather restricting in that they usually don't have multiple positions listed.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yeah, like @Tweaky said I think it would be easiest to just do a regular one and let it be all insane. Are we using EP or CF positions for this one, since they have those for retirees too? Should note that those are rather restricting in that they usually don't have multiple positions listed.

I guess just whatever they show up as through a hockeyDB, or hockey reference search. I imagine some wingers won’t even be designated as LW, or RW, so it might allow some freedom for people to put players wherever they want.

Lefty defenceman play left side, righty’s play right side, while we allow for one off-handed pairing, like our last draft?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I guess just whatever they show up as through a hockeyDB, or hockey reference search. I imagine some wingers won’t even be designated as LW, or RW, so it might allow some freedom for people to put players wherever they want.

Lefty defenceman play left side, righty’s play right side, while we allow for one off-handed pairing, like our last draft?
Nah, it's definitely what I said it is. There appears to be much less flexibility with positions among retirees in the databases.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think for this we can base positions off Hockey reference or DB and because the teams will be so good I think D pairings have to be all LD-RD. Than we could draft between whatever years we want. Like 70/80's-2015?

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I think for this we can base positions off Hockey reference or DB and because the teams will be so good I think D pairings have to be all LD-RD. Than we could draft between whatever years we want. Like 70/80's-2015?
Don't need an upper limit for years. Just anyone retired.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I lean towards no active players, but it’s not a huge deal to me if other people want today’s players in it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad