All Time Most overpaid fat cats

chooch*

Given all the fat contracts out there now, here is a list of the fattest of the fat cats:

1.Derek Sanderson - WHA days; what was it? $300,000 per goal scored in Philly
2.Brad Richards - his current contract is a ridiculous joke.
3. DiPietro Isles - don't even know his first name (Rocky? Paul? Roberto?).
4.Yashin Isles - one of the two fat cats on that team. Likes cougars.
5.Walt Thkazuck Rangers - first of the Manhatten fat cats in 1973. Followed by Vickers, Park, Espo, Hickey etc.
6.Keith Tkzachuk last year - like Walt, a fat cat literally; (how do you spell that name anyway?).
7.Wayne Gretzky - Rangers and Blues period; was a liability on the ice.
8. Kariya Ducks - last few years of $10 mill a year contract were wasted dollars.
9. Dionne Kings - $600k a year for Kings in 70's didnt pay off; always looked fat.
10.Messier Canucks - $18 million potato chips for 3 long lazy years.

Ogopogo*

Given all the fat contracts out there now, here is a list of the fattest of the fat cats:

5.Walt Thkazuck Rangers - first of the Manhatten fat cats in 1973. Followed by Vickers, Park, Espo, Hickey etc.
6.Keith Tkzachuk last year - like Walt, a fat cat literally; (how do you spell that name anyway?).
8. Kariya Ducks - last few years of $10 mill a year contract were wasted dollars.
9. Dionne Kings - $600k a year for Kings in 70's didnt pay off; always looked fat.

After reading this post I checked my calendar. Sure enough, Saturday. Someone has a habit of dipping into the Wild Turkey early on weekends. ;)

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
How much did they pay that bald guy with the man problems to pitch that sugary sports drink??? Little kids all over la belle province led to believe it would give them 'power' when it really just rotted their teeth. Shame what some guys have to do to eke out enough dough for a deck of rothmans and a bottle of port.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005

I read this qupte, looked at the username and everything made sense.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
why is this guy still allowed to post. It amazes me that I could call a spade a spade and call this guy for what I, and EVERYONE else on this board sees and I will get the warning. AS well maybe you should take a few extra days (since I know with your limited capacity it must have taken you about 2 weeks worth of work) and actually looked up the names of the players you were trying to rip on as it would have made you look less like a prebubesent loser than you already look like.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Funny Wayne Gretzky is by far the most underpaid player in NHL History.

The NHL probably made a couple of BILLION Dollars because Wayne Decided to play hockey.

If not for Gretzky there might well be 24 or 26 teams and not 30 of them.

The NHL could have paid Gretzky $25 million a year for his entire 20 year career and come out well ahead of the game.

I wonder how many non-sell out arena's Gretzky ever played in.... on the road or at home? I am guessing not very many.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
This is outdated. Last summer it had weight. It is not clearly a bloated feline signing. If the isles win the division this year, go to the conference finals next year, make a few moves or promotion and he backstops them to a couple of Stanley Cups, then it'll all be worth it. In other words, TOO SOON to tell, especially given his overall play since a shaking start this season.

Everyone remembers that.

Good one. It still HURTS us Canucks fans when we think of it. The moment I heard about the Messier signing I had thought 1) Linden will be shipped out of town (our beloved longtime deserving captain) and 2) Messier will NOT gel in Vancouver. The Keenan dark days. Gawd may history never forget that many of us hated those days from the get go.

More GOALTENDERS should be mentioned. Guys who signed bloated contracts then suddenly flopped for the year or forever. Any great candidates?

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
This is outdated. Last summer it had weight. It is not clearly a bloated feline signing. If the isles win the division this year, go to the conference finals next year, make a few moves or promotion and he backstops them to a couple of Stanley Cups, then it'll all be worth it. In other words, TOO SOON to tell, especially given his overall play since a shaking start this season.

Everyone remembers that.

Good one. It still HURTS us Canucks fans when we think of it. The moment I heard about the Messier signing I had thought 1) Linden will be shipped out of town (our beloved longtime deserving captain) and 2) Messier will NOT gel in Vancouver. The Keenan dark days. Gawd may history never forget that many of us hated those days from the get go.

More GOALTENDERS should be mentioned. Guys who signed bloated contracts then suddenly flopped for the year or forever. Any great candidates?
Curtis Joseph (9 million for him is just too much)?

chooch*

Curtis Joseph (9 million for him is just too much)?

also:

Ulf (slender Euro) Nilsson at $600 k a year; Heck Hedberg also.
Benoit Brunet at $3.2 mill
Patricia Breezby at $4 mill a year (for what ! I ask you)
Jose (Josey Hells Boy) Theodore at $6 mill a year
Gilbert Dionne's $450k a year in the early 90's after a 21 goal rookie season ruined his attitude.

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Your delusions are legendary.

The Blues period lasted only a few months. While with the NYRs, Gretzky was (again) among the most dangerous players in the league and carried them deep into the play-offs.

Last edited:

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
Funny Wayne Gretzky is by far the most underpaid player in NHL History.

The NHL probably made a couple of BILLION Dollars because Wayne Decided to play hockey.

If not for Gretzky there might well be 24 or 26 teams and not 30 of them.

The NHL could have paid Gretzky $25 million a year for his entire 20 year career and come out well ahead of the game.

I wonder how many non-sell out arena's Gretzky ever played in.... on the road or at home? I am guessing not very many.

Your delusions are legendary.

The Blues period lasted only a few months. While with the NYRs, Gretzky was (again) among the most dangerous players in the league and carried them deep into the play-offs.

Why are you guys even bothering, Gooch has some hard on against Gretzky (probably because his beloved Habs were no longer the focus of attention in the 80's with the Oilers dominating) and all he is doing is just fishing for some attention. Don't even bother trying to defend Gretzky here because it is not worth your time and it will only result in frustrations and warnings.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA

Ok, aside from the boost you get from having Gretzky in your line-up and the room he creates on the ice, let's look at the numbers.

1995-96 St. Louis Blues NHL 18 8 13 21 2 13 2 14 16 0
1996-97 New York Rangers NHL 82 25 72 97 28 15 10 10 20 2
1997-98 New York Rangers NHL 82 23 67 90 28 -- -- -- -- --
1998-99 New York Rangers NHL 70 9 53 62 14

96-97 - 4th overall in scoring, 2nd overall in assists.
97-98 - 3rd overall in scoring, 2nd overall in assists.
98-99 - 6th overall in assists.

Each year he led the Rangers in scoring. Even in his last year he was one of the best passers in the NHL.

Also, he was a +12 in 97, and a minus the last two while the Rangers missed the playoffs. So, while you could say he's a "liability" it is well worth the risk.

chooch*

Ok, aside from the boost you get from having Gretzky in your line-up and the room he creates on the ice, let's look at the numbers.

1995-96 St. Louis Blues NHL 18 8 13 21 2 13 2 14 16 0
1996-97 New York Rangers NHL 82 25 72 97 28 15 10 10 20 2
1997-98 New York Rangers NHL 82 23 67 90 28 -- -- -- -- --
1998-99 New York Rangers NHL 70 9 53 62 14

96-97 - 4th overall in scoring, 2nd overall in assists.
97-98 - 3rd overall in scoring, 2nd overall in assists.
98-99 - 6th overall in assists.

Each year he led the Rangers in scoring. Even in his last year he was one of the best passers in the NHL.

Also, he was a +12 in 97, and a minus the last two while the Rangers missed the playoffs. So, while you could say he's a "liability" it is well worth the risk.

He was a liability even with the Kings:
remember Los Angeles missed the playoffs in 94 and 95 with their fearless highest paid leader.He is about to miss the playoffs again in 96 but then he shops himself to the Blues, a top team, and they are out earlier then expected in the playoffs in 96. Then he goes to New York and true to form Messier carries the Rangers and Mr Hang at centre deep into the playoffs in 97. Mess leaves and with 99 leading the way, the Rangers miss the playoffs in 98 and 99 before Gretz quits on them.

What part of being highest paid player and missing the playoffs 4 out of the last 6 years (and arguably 5 out of 6 if you include the Kings in 96 where he played 60 games) dont you get? Without Mess in NY and not going to the Blues he would have missed the playoffs the last 6 years of his career - with the highest salary.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
remember Los Angeles missed the playoffs in 94 and 95 with their fearless highest paid leader.Then he shops himself to the Blues, a top team, and they are out earlier then expected in the playoffs in 96. Then he goes to New York and true to form Messier carries the Rangers and Mr Hang at centre deep into the playoffs in 97. Mess leaves and with 99 leading the way, the Rangers miss the playoffs in 98 and 99 before Gretz quits on them.

What was that you and JCD said?

Apparently winning is a team effort, but losing is the result of one man.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
remember Los Angeles missed the playoffs in 94 and 95 with their fearless highest paid leader.He is about to miss the playoffs again in 96 but then he shops himself to the Blues, a top team, and they are out earlier then expected in the playoffs in 96. Then he goes to New York and true to form Messier carries the Rangers and Mr Hang at centre deep into the playoffs in 97. Mess leaves and with 99 leading the way, the Rangers miss the playoffs in 98 and 99 before Gretz quits on them.

What part of being highest paid player and missing the playoffs 4 out of the last 6 years (and arguably 5 out of 6 if you include the Kings in 96 where he played 60 games) dont you get? Without Mess in NY and not going to the Blues he would have missed the playoffs the last 6 years of his career - with the highest salary.

maybe you should get some facts straight, I know it is hard to do for such a narrow minded person as yourself to have objectivity. in his last six years can you tell me how many years did Gretzky have the highest salary ? twice 95 and 95 - 96 while him and Mario had the same amount the year before with a whopping 3 mill each.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
no you see the problem here is who you are debating with, no matter what you say it is Wayne Gretzky's fault in gooch's mind

I'd say I'll take your word for it, but the evidence is right here. Saying Gretzky is a defensive liability is like saying Patrick Roy was expendable because his offensive output was pathetic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad