All-time Flyers best free agent signing

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
So, then Kerr is the best Free Agent signing?

Debatable but I would list Tim Kerr at the top for undrafted players. No need to rehash what could have happened if not for his multitude of injuries but he was almost an unstoppable force for what he provided down low. However, Dave Poulin is the team's second best captain and an invaluable member of that era. His intangibles far outweigh anything found in statistical references. Veteran free agent signings such as Jeremy Roenick or Danny Briere are a different category.

Haha, MSE ... I totally forgot about those Miami Screaming Eagles. :laugh:

... I do remember that the very first WHA Game in Philly had to be postponed when the ice surface at the Philadelphia Convention Hall -- or was it then called Civic Center?? -- cracked and was not serviceable.

And I remember being pissed as Hell at Bernie when he refused to suit up for Game One of the WHA Playoffs due to said pay dispute.

I remember the NY Raiders changed to the Golden Blades and all the players got golden bladed skates... and then it moved to Cherry Hill and they quickly needed uniforms; the only ones they could find that were the same and had enough fo the Team were ones with Chess Knights crests... So they became the Jersey Knights, with gold blade skats, and played their Home Games at the old Ice House (later called the Centrum) on Brace road in Cherry Hill, across from Kaminski's... a Flyers players' hangout... I saw most of their remaining Home Games there that Season... with the linked storm fence used instead of glass causing some wild-assed caroms... Exciting Offensive minded games... fun to watch. They were gone by the following Season; IIRC to Vancouver.

The WHA had a brief but extremely interesting lifespan.

... But I digress... What was the Thread Topic again? ;)

You have a solid memory! And it was the Civic Center. The Blazers also signed Derek Sanderson, part of the Bruins' 1970s Cup teams, to what was the largest contract in pro sports history (at the time). IIRC, Parent was the first NHL player to sign with a WHA franchise.

This is Parent in his Blazers' get-up.

6d8ea13289e9e47771da5baeceff68bc.jpg

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I have to go with Tim Kerr. I am a big fan of Ilkka's but Kerr was a bear who just took a beating night in and night out in front of the net. We had to trade for Parent's rights. I still have a Blazers jersey but the dam thing is a little tight:laugh:. But I won it playing liars poker from a bartender.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
You have a solid memory! And it was the Civic Center. The Blazers also signed Derek Sanderson, part of the Bruins' 1970s Cup teams, to what was the largest contract in pro sports history (at the time). IIRC, Parent was the first NHL player to sign with a WHA franchise.

This is Parent in his Blazers' get-up.

6d8ea13289e9e47771da5baeceff68bc.jpg

Thanks for the great photo... I could trip down Memory Lane all day but that is left for another day and another Thread.

That said... I'd like to comment on Sanderson; I remember the anticipation here in Philly among us newly found hockey aficionados with the signing of Derek (along with Bernie)... two potential great Teams to enjoy... little did we know that both Players and the WHA Franchise would go fizzle out as quickly as they came... But what I like to depart with is to mention the great Documentary that appeared on Cable a couple years back detailing the life of Derek Sanderson... an interesting and really sad story that was much deeper then most remember. A talent wasted and a life gone awry... It may have been on HBO, not sure... If any hockey fan has the chance to catch it, I strongly recommend that they do so.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Well we've had mse check in on all of this, and we still haven't resolved whether or not Parent was a FA signing. I'm a little surprised by that.

I'm leaning in the direction that he was not, but I'm not sure. When a player's rights are traded, is he usually still technically under contract? I guess we'd need to know all about Toronto's contract with him and why they still had his rights when he jumped a couple of leagues. Maybe some heroic historian can come in and put this to rest.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Well we've had mse check in on all of this, and we still haven't resolved whether or not Parent was a FA signing. I'm a little surprised by that.

I'm leaning in the direction that he was not, but I'm not sure. When a player's rights are traded, is he usually still technically under contract? I guess we'd need to know all about Toronto's contract with him and why they still had his rights when he jumped a couple of leagues. Maybe some heroic historian can come in and put this to rest.

I thought the question was resolved. Parent was never a free agent signing. He was acquired from Boston in the expansion draft (as was Doug Favell, the other goalie), traded to Toronto, re-acquired from the Leafs in a trade after a brief stop in the WHA and then was forced to retire due to the freak eye injury.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I'm too young to remember Kerr. Can I say Timonen? He was pretty much a free agent signing.

Again another technicality... Kimmo and Hartnell's Rights were traded for from Nashville in exchange for the Pick the Flyers received from them in the Forsberg deal at the prior Trade DeadLine... Homer got the leg up on the other GMs and signed them.

It could be assumed that the Flyers courted the two Players and in essence struck Deals with the two pending FreeAgents before the Trade... But in actuality, I believe it was an extension of their prior Contracts that the Flyers then owned.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

It's absolutely resolved. He was not a free agent signing by any definition of the word. As MSE said, the Flyers got him in the expansion draft, traded him to Toronto, then traded Favell to Toronto to get Parent back. There is no FA signing anywhere in there.

Favell eventually had a nice little career playing lacrosse for the Philadelphia Wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad