All-Time First and Second Team All-Stars (has this been done?)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I clicked this post, excited, because I thought this was going to be a project to assign all-star teams to the early eras!

Oh, well, I'll play anyway....

Bobby Hull - Wayne Gretzky - Gordie Howe
Bobby Orr - Ray Bourque
Dominik Hasek

Alexander Ovechkin - Mario Lemieux - Maurice Richard
Dough Harvey - Niklas Lidstrom
Patrick Roy

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I clicked this post, excited, because I thought this was going to be a project to assign all-star teams to the early eras!

Oh, well, I'll play anyway....

Bobby Orr - Ray Bourque
Dominik Hasek

Dough Harvey - Niklas Lidstrom
Patrick Roy

Good teams, but I'd find a way to get Bread Kelly in there.

Reactions: The Macho Man

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

In my opinion, it would take many years of research to do that rigorously.Basically, read all the game summaries of every team, and find the most interesting articles and columns in-between.That's a project of gigantic scope.

Sure, we could take shortcuts and be more approximative, but even that would be a huge project.

Reactions: tinyzombies

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Doug Harvey - Bobby Orr
Patrick Roy

Nicklas Lidstrom - Ray Bourque
Jacques Plante

If sides for D matter: I think Harvey played enough LD to be allowed in that position. If not, then move Lidstrom up and slot Fetisov in Lidstrom's spot.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
In my opinion, it would take many years of research to do that rigorously.Basically, read all the game summaries of every team, and find the most interesting articles and columns in-between.That's a project of gigantic scope.

Sure, we could take shortcuts and be more approximative, but even that would be a huge project.

I tried to get this going a couple years ago. But it's hard.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Any reason we couldn’t do this like the all time player lists? Go season by season and vote after some good discussion and debate.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Any reason we couldn’t do this like the all time player lists? Go season by season and vote after some good discussion and debate.

Allright, are you willing to read every game summaries, as well as looking for gold articles in the days surrounding the games? Because that's what it would take to do it rigorously IMO.

But sure, we could do it more approximatively.But if we're going to use stats and the likes to determine who is the all-star, I wouldn't even bother doing it.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Allright, are you willing to read every game summaries, as well as looking for gold articles in the days surrounding the games? Because that's what it would take to do it rigorously IMO.

But sure, we could do it more approximatively.But if we're going to use stats and the likes to determine who is the all-star, I wouldn't even bother doing it.

That’s what the discussion is for - providing contemporary articles.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
That’s what the discussion is for - providing contemporary articles.

Yeah but to do it throughoutly we need to scan the entire thing, not just find some articles here and there that might or might not be representative.This is huge work.

Just for covering every playoffs games of the Ottawa dynasty, it took me about 60 hours of work.Granted I could've just took a picture and posted it and not re-type everything, which would have significantly cut the amount of work.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
There has already been extensive work done. Why not start with what everyone thinks are the incumbent all-stars and then if there’s debate - that’s where the work will happen? The ATD is great but it really ranks players by the importance/scarcity of their roles.

This would create tiers over time. I bet a lot of this work has already been done, no?

I am also interested in a true ranking by not only length of career, but by actual ability. Why does Orr get special treatment over Lemieux for instance? It’s only because he’s a dman, no? It should be Gretz and Howe 1-2 every time of you go by career. Look how Gretzky has deference for how the athletes have improved. He knows he wouldn’t be the best player today. This tier thing would also be a step towards that.

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I tried to get this going a couple years ago. But it's hard.

As long as I keep drafting PCHA/WCHL players I'll eventually have game summaries for almost every game somewhere.

I don't think I've ever drafted a Seattle Metropolitan so I've never went hunting for game summaries for them.

Maybe this ATD off season I could dedicate time to gathering as many as possible again

Reactions: seventieslord

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
BTW- I work from home now and have a reasonable amount of information so that drafting doesn't take me too long anymore, so I can now do some research (I was a history major as well).

Say Hey Kid

Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory
I should have said I thought you were from Montreal. I was referring to a post you made recently that roughly read "TDMM, how do you know all this, you're from the NY/NJ area". Please tell me this isn't "crabby Montrealers forget what the ;) symbol means" Day and take all posts way too seriously. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->