All-time Draft Second Round: #5 Las Vegas Thunder @ #1 Detroit Falcons

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If JFF did it like Nalyd did last time, they average the number of games that the people that predicted you to win with a number of games determined from the difference in voting. If the average predicted number of games by people who voted for you was 6 games but the majority of GM's voted for your team, then it would probably lead to a 5 game series. I think it's the same thing that happened to Lebda in my series.

I take a few things into consideration when i decide the length of series.

The winner just comes straight from the voting, whomever got more votes wins the series. As to the length I go by two factors:

#1. What was the vote disparity ? i.e 12 votes to 3 or was it 8 votes to 7.

#2. I also factor in of the voters that voted for the winning team, how many games did they predict the series to last.

The combination of those two factors is what I'm using to determine the length of the series.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
It's appearing that the Thunder may have lost this series back in the first round of the draft: trading away the first rounder to the Falcons, giving up one superstar in exchange for several stars, is the difference, as Beliveau and Plante are doing it all despite a pretty lacklustre supporting cast.

Mental note: Don't trade away the first rounder, even if you thought you had a coup by picking up arguably the greatest talent ever (Kharlamov) early in the second round.

Of all the teams in the division, I'd told shawnmullin I was least worried about the Falcons. Yet they ended up ranked first despite a suspect second line and less than ideal defensive pairings.

That said, when you have a goaltender and a top line which is stellar, they can pull a lot of games out of the fire, as Frank the Tank is doing a good job of showing.

The difference for myself was as you alluded to the goaltending, Plante was a huge difference between the two teams, as well they both had suspect defenses, a great goaltender can mask many of those flaws. Your team had the better offensive depth as well as the better coach but at the end of the day Thompson was no match for Plante, I think I had it down as 6 games for a Falcons victory.

However your lack of recognition of the other team isn't very becoming.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
I really thought the depth vs. superstars match-up would go longer than 5 games, but ultimately when people are voting and you can show a pair of players like Plante and big ol' Belly it's going to make a difference to people for sure.

Good job Eagle... a third round for a rookie! You definately belong.

I think ultimately our D was our undoing. No matter how much Van and I researched and believed in the defensive guys we got... people just didn't buy into it. Fair enough, right? That's certainly their right. Will have to have a more well known D next time.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I really thought the depth vs. superstars match-up would go longer than 5 games, but ultimately when people are voting and you can show a pair of players like Plante and big ol' Belly it's going to make a difference to people for sure.

I think ultimately our D was our undoing. No matter how much Van and I researched and believed in the defensive guys we got... people just didn't buy into it. Fair enough, right? That's certainly their right. Will have to have a more well known D next time.

Thanks for the kind words, but damn I hate hearing that my team is a two players show, that's just dismiss all the work and time I put researching the other 21 players. I understand these two guys stand out when looking at my team, but I think I've done a fine job assembling a fairly good all-around team. I wouldn't of won my divison and this secound round matchup with Beliveau, Plante and 21 other plug. Oh well ....

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

I didn't think it was a bad strategy at all. Especially with Bowman behind the bench.

But I do think if you had picked at least one more defenseman earlier in the draft or had a better goaltender (not that Thompson is bad) with one less top end forward that it probably would have paid off better in results.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton

For myself I was quite facinated by the deals you pulled off, same with Nalyd, unfortunately nobody would deal with me............:(

Its probably a good thing for me I couldn't deal but for Las Vegas that huge stretch of no picks was a definite undoing. If you could have hung on to a couple picks mid draft it probably would have gone a long way to complimenting the great high end talent.

Wait a minute!!

I offered you a trade to get back into the drafting, should have sent Savard to the Oil when you had the chance.......;)

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Eagle's tracked the last couple drafts when he was Tillman40. So he has a bit of experience in this process. He wasn't a total rookie who stepped into this thing cold. But it is an impressive effort to beat a veteran GM in VanI. He might be the best at picking apart a matchup in this draft.

Was I the only GM who picked Vegas to win this thing? I'm not a big fan of Eagle's defence, and I thought VanI's two-way forwards would be enough. (VanI also had likely the two best GMs in the draft).

Anyways, congrats to EagleBelfour. Should be an excellent series with Seattle.

Frank, some GMs track this thing before joining. Others jump in cold with both feet. Very, very few make a contribution before joining the draft that shows they belong. You fit in with the latter classification.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Thanks for the kind words, but damn I hate hearing that my team is a two players show, that's just dismiss all the work and time I put researching the other 21 players. I understand these two guys stand out when looking at my team, but I think I've done a fine job assembling a fairly good all-around team. I wouldn't of won my divison and this secound round matchup with Beliveau, Plante and 21 other plug. Oh well ....

I really didn't say that, I just said they were the biggest difference.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
I didn't think it was a bad strategy at all. Especially with Bowman behind the bench.

But I do think if you had picked at least one more defenseman earlier in the draft or had a better goaltender (not that Thompson is bad) with one less top end forward that it probably would have paid off better in results.

I think it's a fair analysis. Like if we had got someone on D instead of Recchi.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Eagle's tracked the last couple drafts when he was Tillman40. So he has a bit of experience in this process. He wasn't a total rookie who stepped into this thing cold. But it is an impressive effort to beat a veteran GM in VanI. He might be the best at picking apart a matchup in this draft.

Was I the only GM who picked Vegas to win this thing? I'm not a big fan of Eagle's defence, and I thought VanI's two-way forwards would be enough. (VanI also had likely the two best GMs in the draft).

Anyways, congrats to EagleBelfour. Should be an excellent series with Seattle.

Frank, some GMs track this thing before joining. Others jump in cold with both feet. Very, very few make a contribution before joining the draft that shows they belong. You fit in with the latter classification.

You know it wasn't entirely just Van's team...

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I tracked a bit of the last draft, but that's all. Are you implying that my name before was Tillman40? If it's the case, then you're wrong, sicne I never changed username since I join about two years ago.
Damn. My mistake. I could have sworn I saw a change before. (Tillman was a guy who previously voiced an interest in joining the draft, but never did. Hadn't seen him around in a dog's age, either, which led me to believe you were him). Anyways, congrats, again.

And mulls, of course you were every bit as important to the Vegas organization as VanI. Oversight on my part there. Geez, I haven't taken my loss to Edmonton well, have I?

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I am glad you guys are enjoying the write-ups. I look forward to writing up the Mets vs. Falcons in the Foster Hewitt Division finals.

As for me participating in the next ATD as some managers have mentioned, I would be interested. Of course, I will have to see what my schedule looks like at the time because I may have a lot of traveling for interviews in the next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad