Visit site
234.gif
vs.
283.gif
/
281.gif
/
208.gif

In the defensive battle of the first round two evenly matched teams go head to head in Vancouver and Edmonton, and now to the lineups..

Edmonton Oilers

Head Coach: Don Cherry
Captain: Ted Lindsay
Alternate: Bob Gainey
Alternate: Darryl Sittler
Alternate: Scott Stevens

#7 Ted Lindsay - #5 Nels Stewart - #8 Punch Broadbent
#11 Brian Sutter - #27 Darryl Sittler - #9 Glenn Anderson
#23 Bob Gainey - #27 Mike Peca - #12 Duane Sutter
#20 Al Secord - #12 Tom Lysiak - #19 Scott Mellanby
#27 Darryl Sutter

#2 Scott Stevens - #2 Jack Stewart
#4 Craig Hartsburg - #44 Dave Babych
#2 Ian Turnbull - #21 Jason Smith
#5 Phil Russell

#30 Rogie Vachon
#1 Eddie Giacomin
#29 Mike Palmateer

Vancouver Canucks
Head Coach: Jacques Lemaire
Captain: Milt Schmidt
Alternate: Charlie Conacher
Alternate: Brian Skrudland
Alternate: Adam Foote

#19 Marcus Naslund - #15 Milt Schmidt - #6 Charlie Conacher
#22 Steve Shutt - #7 Neal Broten - #12 Hakan Loob
#9 Adam Graves - #21 Eric Staal - #23 Brian Bellows
#14 Brian Rolston - #25 Peter Zezel - #20 Brian Skrudland
#18 Kirk Maltby

#4 Bobby Orr - #52 Adam Foote
#7 Alexei Kasatonov - #2 Joe Hall
#5 Alexander Ragulin - #6 Wade Redden
#34 Jamie Macoun

#35 Mike Richter
#1 Vladimir Dzurilla
#30 Seth Martin

Last edited:

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Well to get this series started I think the Canucks have a clear advantage in every area except for in goal where it is pretty much a sawoff considering the very similar achievements of Vachon as well as Richter, who isn't nearly as bad as many people make him out to be, being one of the bigger reasons the Rangers won in 1994 and the only reason the USA won in 1996 (his play in 2002 wasn't bad either). Beyond that he was able to lead a team to the conference finals which was over the hill to say the least.

The only area where the Oilers have the advantage is offensive grit and that is minimized by the grit that can be found on the backend of the Canucks.

Canucks in 6

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I bet the Canucks regret the Horner for Shutt trade now......

I think that Redden is a defenseman that can really help in terms of puck movement, while his playoff performances to date haven't been great (haven't been horrible either) his recent performance in these playoffs should errode any doubt as to the quality of defenseman that he really is in the playoffs, and while I do appreciate Horner as a defenseman I have questions regarding his overall skill to be quite honest ever since I drafted him. Past that having someone who can put the puck in the net is something that the team was lacking and this has been at least partially recified with the aquisition of Shutt (50 goals in 99 games in the postseason)... Plus it allowed me to ditch Sandstrom who really didn't seem to fit in on the Canucks style of play.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I don`t care about the fact that there was a too many men on the ice penalty, however the time in which it occured and how it occured (Cherry says he saw 6 Montreal skaters I believe) is just one more example as to how undiciplined Cherry is behind the bench. Having him and Lindsay on the ice at the same time is only going to result in the Canucks PP having a large number of chances.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Well to get this series started I think the Canucks have a clear advantage in every area except for in goal.Canucks in 6

Clear advantage in every area?

Up front line matchups shows something different..........:)

Conacher and Schmidt are Vancouvers biggest threat. With Edmontons home ice advantage, they'll see alot of Peca's line. Peca and Gainey are definitely capable of stifling that line. They'll also see alot of the Oils first line and the advantage is still Edmontons. Either way Vancouvers top line is in tough.

When Stewarts line isn't going head to head with Schmidts they'll be matched up with Brotens line. Hakan Loob......, meet Ted Lindsay

Sittlers line should see plenty of action against............Eric Staal?????

Rolston/Zezel/Skrudland can muck it out with Secord/Lysiak/Mellanby. Still an advantage offensively to the Oil.

The ice is definitely going to be slanted towards the Nucks end throughout the series. Nullify Schmidts line and offense from up front is going to be tough. Steve Shutt isn't going to be very comfortable hanging around the front looking for garbage either.

This Vancouver team shares alot in common with the current one. Not enough offense. With the forward lines stifled it'll allow the Oil to key in on Orr even more so. Who really is the only offensive threat from the blueline now.

On the occasion Schmidt & Conachers reckless style does break through, meet Scott Stevens.....ouch!

Too many subplots as well:

Conachers crease crashing style vs Andersons is going to set the stage for fireworks early and probably throughout.

Cherry vs Orr, Really the only so called weakness I can think of Orr having is his fiery temper and even that isn't much of a weakness given that he could channel it into revenge more times than not. Orr will be the best player on the ice and he'll be recieving special attention from a very physical lineup. Cherry's seen more of Orr than anyone and if anyone knows a weakness in him, it'll be Don Cherry.

Cheap Shots and retaliation. There's going to be plenty. Ted Lindsay and Nels Stewart forechecking against the likes of Kasatonov and Joe Hall. Orr rushing the puck as often as he does is going to meet a Scott Steven open ice bodycheck somewhere along the line. The Oilers are going impose themselves physically on the Nucks and the depth guys like Loob, Broten, Staal & Bellows are going to be hurting.

Atmosphere in both rinks will be nuts.

Oil wear down and grind the Canucks out in 6, Canucks will be left wondering where the offense went.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
IMO, one of the keys to the series will be how Naslund-Schmidt-Conacher deal with Gainey-Peca-Sutter and Stevens-Stewart. There are only a handful of defensive units that could contain that line, and I think that Murphy may have one of them.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I question whether some people might overrate Stevens defensive abilities just due to his ability to make a big hit, much like Dion Phaneuf at the current time - people equate the big hit with a great defensive game. That shouldn`t be taken to say that Stevens was weak in his own zone but I wouldn`t put him on a level all by himself but rather on the same plain as a player such as Foote.

The second line isn`t going to be a line which is built around mucking it up in front of the net, it is a line which is built around speed as well as solid puck movement, and that is where they are going to expose your much slower backend with the likes of Dave Babych. With the use of a strong transition game the Canucks should be able to go out and while not grinding the opposition using the entire ice surface to their advantage and exposing some of the mistake of the Oilers squad.

You are right about Sitler though his playoff performances should be evidence of that enough, just look at his cup rings... oh no cup rings. Ok look at the number of times that he has helped his team get past the first round... oh he has only played over 10 playoff games in a single season once.... yeah he doesn`t seem like the big bad threat that he did in the regular season all of a sudden. Plus Bellows and Graves were solid defensive players in their day and should be able to take care of whatever playoff performers you can throw at them. Just remember 5 at a time.

For the Oilers though their entire style of play is based upon crashing the crease and lets just say that the Canucks defense isn`t going to take much of that and that is going to lead to a low number of quality scoring chances against a proven playoff goaltender in Richter. At this point the only thing that the Oilers are going to be able to do is lick their wounds and wonder why there wasnt any offense to begin with, especially with Lindsay being in the box for extended periods of time considering his temper and his well liberal use of the stick. Those four minute powerplays and the 5 minute misconducts that your more tempermental players will be racking up will lead to a number of great PP chances for the Canucks, while their more disiplined team game will leave the Oilers shaking their heads and wondering what went wrong.

Last edited:

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I question whether some people might overrate Stevens defensive abilities just due to his ability to make a big hit, much like Dion Phaneuf at the current time - people equate the big hit with a great defensive game. That shouldn`t be taken to say that Stevens was weak in his own zone but I wouldn`t put him on a level all by himself but rather on the same plain as a player such as Foote.

Is Vancouvers camp seriously trying to sell that Foote's shut-down ability is equal to soon to be Hall of Famer Scott Stevens? Thats just crazy talk.

I sense desperation starting to creep in, already!!

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Is Vancouvers camp seriously trying to sell that Foote's shut-down ability is equal to soon to be Hall of Famer Scott Stevens? Thats just crazy talk.

I would say that both defenders were equal in their defensive abilities, obviously Stevens has a great advantage when it comes to the intimidation aspect of the game but past that I would say they are pretty even steven (haha) at least defensively. The difference is that Stevens early in his career showed much more offensive abilities that Foote, although at that time Stevens wasnt nearly as solid on defense as he is at the current time.

By the way does anyone know how to change the settings on a laptop from french to english language because having the french É come up whenever I want to use a questionmark is really irritating... does anyone knowÉ

Dismissal of another teams players from Edmonton, I sense cockyness starting to creep in already. Could this lead to a Vancouver advantage?

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton

The second line isn`t going to be a line which is built around mucking it up in front of the net, it is a line which is built around speed as well as solid puck movement, and that is where they are going to expose your much slower backend with the likes of Dave Babych. With the use of a strong transition game the Canucks should be able to go out and while not grinding the opposition using the entire ice surface to their advantage and exposing some of the mistake of the Oilers squad.

lol, more mis-information from Vancouvers pro scouting. Much slower backend? compared to who? Take away Orr and the Nucks back end bunch doesn't seem exceptionally fast or mobile. Who's the fast one? Joe Hall? Ragulin? Macoun???

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Well I didn't say that my defense is extremely mobile (I would say that Redden is quite mobile though as well as Kasatonov and well Foote well not a speedster isn't really slow). The advantage for myself is that you don't seem to have a really quick flashy forward corps thus minimizing any slower players that I have on the backend... your entire game seems to be built around crashing the net and getting the garbage goals, the problem being however that doesn't jive well with a physical defense in Vancouver.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Vancouver is probably most scared of that shutdown line: Boy, would I ever be!

Markus Naslund, at least IMO, isn't a 1st liner. Conacher and Schmidt are good, but having Nazzy kind of slows those two down. Don't get me wrongt, that's a awesome line, I'm just not sure Naslund is the rght player for that spot.

As for Edmonton, Murph probably knows what I think of them...

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Well it is an interesting idea to shuffle the lines up a bit and have the top two lines

Shutt - Schmidt - Conacher
Naslund - Broten - Loob

Actually I don't think that makes a huge difference but it is an interesting idea none the less.

Naslund while not the ideal first line center was at his prime one of the best in the game until the elbow injury that seemed to change him and take away his shot. Not a great first line player but at the same time not a horrible first line player. People will judge him a bit to much on his most recent season and in the process ignore the previous 5 where he was one of the best in the league.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Well it is an interesting idea to shuffle the lines up a bit and have the top two lines

Shutt - Schmidt - Conacher
Naslund - Broten - Loob

Boooooooh Yaaaa!!!!

Shutt - Schmidt - Conacher vs Gainey - Peca - Sutter

Shut down that line and matchup:

Naslund - Broten - Loob vs Lindsay - Stewart - Broadbent.

Ouch! They'll never get it out of their end.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Stevens was the best shut down defenceman in the league the last five to 10 years of his career. Watch a video from New Jersey's victories in 2000 and 2003. He was unbeatable. He shut down every type of player. He could beat you with his physical play, he could beat you with his positioning, he could beat you with his smarts. And he had that presence about him. Opposing players were hearing footsteps every time he was on the ice.

Foote was terrific defensively. But he could be had. Can't say the same about Stevens in 2000 and 2003.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I kind of had a hunch that this would be the match-up in the Robson for 4-5. Two double-tough teams who were built for this time of year. The battle between the best defence in the draft, and likely the best defensive team in the draft. And, to add to the suspense, these two teams met in the Foster Hewitt Final last time out.

I think the key for Vancouver is to really pressure the Edmonton defence. While you're never going to intimidate a defence with Stevens and Stewart, the ability to move the puck is not their forte. If you pressure them and force turnovers, then you really take the forwards out of the game. And Edmonton does actually have some forwards who can put the puck in the net.

I'll give Edmonton the edge in net. I'll take Vachon ahead of Richter. Richter's better off as a back-up. Vachon did more than Richter did. More rings. More all-star team selections. As good as Richter was in the 1994 playoffs and the 1996 World Cup, Vachon was that good in the 1969 playoffs and the 1976 Canada Cup. Eddie Giacomin rates among the top three or four back-ups in the draft. Don't fault him that the Rangers were never an elite team in the late 60s or early 70s.

I like Edmonton more in terms of grit and intangibles. And I think that'll be the difference in this series. Not to say that Vancouver is lacking, but Edmonton might be the grittiest team in this draft, and they're right up there with Trail in terms of intangibles. How many captains does Murphy have?

Gainey-Peca-Sutter is the best checking line in the draft, and with Stevens and Stewart out there, you're looking at one of the best five-man defensive units in draft history. Therein lies the key to this draft. If they can contain Elvi's awesome first line, which becomes even more impressive with Orr on defence, Edmonton wins. If not, Elvi wins, and if Edmonton can't shut down the Schmidt-Conacher-Orr trio, then we're all in deep trouble, because nobody will.

Vancouver has the edge in top-end talent. Three best offensive players in the series with Orr, Conacher and Schmidt. Edmonton has much better depth, with guys like Lindsay, Stewart, Sittler, Broadbent, Secord, Sutter and one of the best clutch scorers ever in Glenn Anderson.

A very tough seven-game series, which is what you expect from these two. This series will have a survivor, and if the winner gets Nanaimo in the next round, then Nanaimo's first round bye will loom very large.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

I'd actually rank them as quite close.

That said. Stevens against two player who attacked the zone with reckless abandon, leading to short careers, in Conacher and Orr is just asking for trouble. I predict that Stevens perminantly removes at least one of them from the playoffs.

That said, I question how effective Edmonton's powerplay will be, or at least how long they will be. FI is harping on Lindsay, but Stewart finished his career as the NHL's all-time leader in PiM.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I'd actually rank them as quite close.

That said. Stevens against two player who attacked the zone with reckless abandon, leading to short careers, in Conacher and Orr is just asking for trouble. I predict that Stevens perminantly removes at least one of them from the playoffs.

That said, I question how effective Edmonton's powerplay will be, or at least how long they will be. FI is harping on Lindsay, but Stewart finished his career as the NHL's all-time leader in PiM.

That can be said without bragging, or hyping Stevens up. Orr really did attack with reckless abandon and disregard for himself. Conacher did the same, which lead to his assorted injuries throughout his career. Scott Stevens is really the worst nightmare for these two and its realistic to think one of these two will get injured in the series.

While Stewart finished his career as the all-time pim leader, it needs to be pointed out that Nels Stewart finished his career as the all-time points leader.

Most everyone here will know how effective Philly's powerplay was with Tim Kerr in it. Nels Stewart plays the same way, and will be just as effective and be just as important to the Oilers powerplay.

Ted Lindsay was a major contributor to 4 cups, he didn't do that by sitting in the penalty box.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
While Stewart finished his career as the all-time pim leader, it needs to be pointed out that Nels Stewart finished his career as the all-time points leader.

Most everyone here will know how effective Philly's powerplay was with Tim Kerr in it. Nels Stewart plays the same way, and will be just as effective and be just as important to the Oilers powerplay.

Ted Lindsay was a major contributor to 4 cups, he didn't do that by sitting in the penalty box.
I'm not denying your team can score, but, you're team will absolutly have some penalty troubles.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
A very tough seven-game series, which is what you expect from these two. This series will have a survivor, and if the winner gets Nanaimo in the next round, then Nanaimo's first round bye will loom very large.

Uggh, the winner of this series gets to play the Clippers?

Well neither team is going to take the easy way out so why not take out Namaimo along the way to victory......:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad