All-time Draft First Round: #4 New York Rangers vs. #5 Boston Bruins with RESULTS

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The scene switches back to the Fleet Center but the news circles around Ed Belfour. Belfour was arrested hours after game 6 at the Hard Rock Cafe. Belfour was asked to leave in the early morning hours and refused. He faces two counts of assault when he started to throw punches at two bouncers. Witnesses say he was out with Shane Corson but Corson was nowhere to be found when NY police arrived. It appears that Guy Lafleur is still feeling the affects of his injuries and is a game day scratch.

The anthem plays and it appears that Sather has elected to start Olaf Kolzig. Belfour is not dressed for the game. The Bruins faithful cheer madly trying not to be outdone by the throngs in NY. The loud crowd gives the Bruins a boost and they strike quickly. Bathgate feeds Messier and puts one by Kolzig on the first shot he faces. Boston keeps up the pressure swarming New York and three minutes later Pilote hammers home a point shot that goes untouched through a screened Kolzig. Sather motions for Kolzig to come to the bench and after a few words from Sather he turns around and heads back to the net. Sather is keeping him in. With a quick 2-0 lead and the crowd going crazy, Boston has all the momentum. The period ends with the Bruins up 2-0 and having outshot New York 17-6.

Sather throws the lines into a blender. I appears Dionne is in his dog house as Crosby has been moved up to the top line. Dionne hasn't been effective without his linemate Lafluer. Kevin Dineen has been moved up in his place and the chemistry between him and Crosby pays off in spades. Dineen opens the scoring on a nice pass out from the corner by Crosby and their next shift out Dineen repays the favour by setting up Crosby with a near identical game. Ted Green goes after Crosby but Crosby stands up to the old vet giving him a face wash with his glove. The Crosby and Dineen show dominates the rest of the period. They have single handedly turned the momentum in New Yorks favour but they can't solve Brimsek who's had an outstanding the series. New York has caught Boston on the shot clock and now leads for the game 25-22. Crosby has 8 shots of his own.

The third starts and Boston can't seem to solve Crosby who's having the game of his life. When he's covered closely he finds his linemates, cover off his linemates and Crosby creates chances on his own. One bruin who has solved Crosby is Frank Brimsek. Other than a brief period in the second he has been outstanding. He stops Crosby on his 10th shot of the game and the two get into a heated exchange after. The young center however leaves the exchange not very happy, he has drawn a 5 minute major for spearing Brimsek. The Bruins go to work on the powerplay but this time Kolzig steals the show making several circus stops. With 2 seconds left in the penalty Dave Keon burys a rebound from a Messier shot and the Bruins go up 3-2.
Sidney Crosby comes out of the box like a man possesed. With 10 minutes remaining it only seems like a matter of time before Crosby scores. Brimsek however has other ideas and has stopped 13 of Crosbys 14 shots on net. The Rangers press and press with Boston holding on for dear life. With 92 seconds remaining Kolzig scrambles to the bench in favour of the extra attacker. The pressure is shortlived however when Messier gets his 5th goal of the series on an hail mary from his own end and into the empty net.

The Boston Bruins are victorious in the hard faught and memerable series winning the series in game 6.

With 4 goals and 7 assists Dave Keon is awarded the series first star.

With 3 goals and 4 assists in only two games Guy Lafleur is awarded the series second star.

With 5 goals and 5 assists Mark Messier earns the series 3rd star. He seen embracing Roger Neilson just before the two walk off the ice and into the dressing room.

Wow, what a series!!! Awesome writeups Murph, you obviously took a time coming up with the storyline, and describing it using your imagination. Wicked job. :handclap:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Very nice writeup on the series Murphy. The guys doing summaries for the other divisions have a hard act to follow.

I voted for the Rangers in this one, but it wasn't an easy choice. Both teams were exceptionally built. Congrats to both of them.

I may have to play the Bruins next round depending on how Philadelphia/Miami ends up.

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
I PM'd Evil Seaker after the first game and told him despite the Rangers winning, the Bruins would win out in 6 -- and I was right.

A question for you Murphy, very creative, but why did you have Sather go to Kolzig twice instead of Harry Lumley? He clearly has the better credentials and was my designated backup, not Kolzig.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Sather jedi mind trick, do the unexpected.

I really cant give you that great an answer. I get a thought and I type, without giving it a whole lot of thought.

In a few games throughout the series I tried to bring in the third goaltender. There was alot of talk going on with some gms during the draft that a third goaltender was really a waste of pick. Little did they know that I was lurking in the background thinking really? is that so?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Congrats on the victory, Speaker. No surprise here. Nice work by Murphy on the write-ups. Good to see these taken to another level, with injuries, supensions, etc., taken into consideration.

Very tough series coming up with Boston vs. Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->