All-time draft by talent level (not by best career or best vs era)?

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Has HoH ever done a true draft matched to current standards? It's also a history project because it places players of the past in their true slots versus contemporary players. For instance, I don't think anyone has matched the pinnacle of goaltending performance of a Carey Price, even if it was only 3 years. Maybe Hasek is the closest?

A top 5 could be:
1. Mario Lemieux
2. Connor McDavid
3. Bobby Orr
4. Sid Crosby
5. Gordie Howe

etc.

Not saying that's the order, but why has there never been a REAL draft? There is probably no one better to do it than this group.

Last edited:
Reactions: VanIslander

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If we posted an argument with each pick... it would be informative.:nod:

"The 3-year peak all-time draft"

The 3YP all-time draft!

I am so in.

Note: Frank McGee looks like a starter!

Reactions: tinyzombies

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Ok maybe that's a better idea, but how would everyone have access to 3YP VsX?

But, if you time machine Aurel Joliat here right now, he wouldn't do well even with modern equipment. If you give him the attributes modern players enjoy and give him the added muscle he'd have, where would he THEN rank? I still find that kind of draft interesting also. I'd like to do both drafts. Ditch the vs his own era stuff for once, and the career comparisons.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... if you time machine Aurel Joliat here right now, he wouldn't do well even with modern equipment....
Oh,... I've never done a time machine thought experiment. That truly is Fantasy board stuff.

I dunno... it is like a Historian debate about greatest empires in which the Roman Empire would be discounted because they didn't have aircraft carriers or atomic bombs, and if you gave it to them, they wouldn't be as skilled at using them. Weird. Not discipline of History kind of thinking.

Reactions: seventieslord

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
How about a 50/50 draft: 10 current players and 10 retired all-time greats, with at least one of each on every line and every pairing.

That way you could get a young McDavid and Laine on a line with Ted Lindsay, Weber paired with Horton, Price as backup to Tretiak.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I agree re draft burnout. Just thought that the Henris, Bentleys, Morenzes might be able to play today because of their skating and stickhandling, so why would anyone be ranked ahead of them from their era?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad