The Northwest Battle

of the Strait of Juan de Fuca

for the Milt Dunnell Cup​

Stanleycuporiginalsm.jpg

Last edited:

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
This is going to be a tough series, good luck to you kruezer.

I'll chime in with some analysis either later tonight or tomorrow.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Let's get some good discussion going on for the finals, and then have the voting into me by next Monday.

The finals deserves some lengthy discussion.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Geez there's not a lot room to breathe between these teams! My first instinct? Hall is the only definitive advantage of the series. It's absurdly close to call.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Alright, it’s time for my analysis. First off, I want to congratulate kruezer on making it this far and to wish him good luck in the series.

First off, I’d like to start with a couple of our strategies:

Stanley-Seibert will get the bulk of their icetime against Seattle’s top line. Stanley and Seibert were both big men in their time, and will be responsible for handling the size and physical play of Kerr and Trottier. That leaves Siebert-Mantha to matchup with Jagr’s line. Both were very capable defensive defenders and we like the matchup they present against that line. Siebert also provides toughness to keep Alf Smith at bay.

As for our forwards, you’ll see Marcotte’s line face off against Trottier’s line while Jagr’s line will get our third line. Our fourth line has a physical edge that should help us keep in that top line’s face, while our third line will try to take advantage of what may be some lackadaisical defensive play from that line (at least relative to what Trottier’s line will bring) while providing strong defense when they are on the offensive. Having Jagr on a second line makes them very difficult to contain, but we feel our best chance of doing so will be to try and counter them, and hopefully scoring enough against them that we can make up that advantage through our other lines.

Our advantages:

Coaching: Green was a good coach in his own right, but Day was on a whole other level. While Green had mixed success with some supremely talented rosters, Day was capable of making the most of the team he had in front of him.

Goaltending: Gardiner was a good clutch goaltender, but Hall is one of the all-time greats and is at a slightly higher level overall.

Home-Ice Advantage: Along with the previous two, this is small advantage that I feel we have, and in a series as close as this is, it’s these small advantages that I believe can add up and put us over the top. Home ice is especially important for us, since we rely so heavily on line matching.

Top-line scoring: Trottier was a great player, but I feel that I have 3 of the 4 best players on our respective top lines.

Scoring depth from my bottom-6: Thompson is the best scorer on either of our respective bottom-6s, and I think you could go as the Clippers having the three best scorers among our bottom-6s.

Defense: I think I have a slight edge on defense, though our respective units are very close. Depth wise, Barney Stanley and Didier Pitre bring very similar games, as do Patrick and Hajt. But I feel that I have an advantage on three of four of our respective top-4’s. I’d take Seibert ahead of Gadsby but Langway over Stanley. Siebert (with his Hart and three first team selections) has an advantage over McCrimmon and I also feel that Mantha has an advantage over Ludwig (both were very good defensively, and while Ludwig was more physical, Mantha was much better offensively).

What we need to overcome:

Jagr: Jagr is by far the biggest secondary scoring threat either of our teams has. As I said before, stopping him will be very difficult, so the best we can expect to do is contain him. Because of Jagr, Seattle’s second line should out score our second line, but we feel we have enough of an advantage on our first and third lines to overcome that difference.

Seattle’s Team Toughness: Overall, Seattle has a very tough team. Gadsby, McCrimmon, Ludwig and Langway make for a tough defense, while Sutter, Williams, Bourne, Dornhoefer, Trottier and Smith will provide toughness up front. We will need our toughest players to stand up for some of our smaller players, just as they have through the playoffs to this point.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Again I think Jagr is the key.

He's been the devastating secondary opion that nobody has been able to shutdown so far during these playoffs.

I think I have enough scoring through my other three lines to negate the advantage that Jagr gives Seattle's second line over ours. This is especially apparent between our respective third lines.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think I have enough scoring through my other three lines to negate the advantage that Jagr gives Seattle's second line over ours. This is especially apparent between our respective third lines.

I want to do a bit more research before I write an in depth analysis, should be an excellent series.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Well, I have been insanely busy lately, but I gotta get some thoughts out there about this series, first of all, pitseleh, perhaps I should never have advised you to put Cyclone up front and Pitre on the backend, it sure makes your team damn intimidating, but that said congrats and may the best team win.

I think the keys to victory for the Mets are exactly what pit brought up, Jagr is the biggest secondary threat, the key here will be for the Jagr line to outperform to a level that can equal any outperformance pit's top line may do of the Mets top line, and then the toughness will kick in, the Metropolitans bottom lines will need to focus on relentlessly forechecking the Clippers, and playing them extremely physical, while the Clippers are not a weak team, they do not have the overall toughness of the Mets IMO, and I think that exploiting that on the bottom lines will be key to setting the tone and getting the momentum in the series.

Looking at the defense, I gotta say, pit, you have built pretty exactly the kind of defense I always try and build, wicked defensively, with underrated puck handling, close to call for sure.

In net, Hall is certainly a formidable opponent, Gardiner certainly does not have the longevity of Hall, they are pretty much polar opposites in terms of careers, again though, I think I have the players to get into Hall's grill consistently to throw him off his game, all the members of my bottom lines can do this, as well as two key front line players in Kerr and Smith, some titanic battles will go on in the crease in front of Hall, and that will be the key to the Mets winning IMO.

In terms of matchups, the only one the Mets will push for (and look for through changing on the fly, as we won't have home ice unfortunately, but haven't in a while) is getting Sutter out against Newsy, shutting down Lalonde's line will be key for the Mets to win, and I think the physical nature of my third line can get to the smaller Lalonde and Taylor as well as Bentley, as the Bentley brothers were known for their claims to be hurt all the time.

That said, best of luck again pit, and thanks to everyone for this draft, its been fun, hated how things were going at times, seeing a few guys I liked to steal later go before I could get them (read: Denneny and Cameron), but it was definitey the best one yet, or at least the best result for me yet :D.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
With the boards going down over the weekend and the recent UFA frenzy we're going to extend the deadline to vote a ew more days.

At this point I only have 4 votes. That's pathetic.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
4 *** votes?

I can understand interest waning a bit when your team is eliminated but this is the final. It takes 5 mins to do, it isn't to much to ask is it?

Maybe we should just open the vote up on the polls and petitions board at this rate.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
One of the problems with the voting is that this is no longer on the main board.

Don't get me wrong, I think ATD should have it's own area. But after it got moved (and my team had already been eliminated), I really lost touch with what was going on here, and missed a round of voting. Out of sight, out of mind kinda deal.

Then I got invited to co-GM in the minor league draft and kinda re-discovered the ATD, since I was now on this forum, and I've been voting again.

Next time, I think voting should be manditory for all participants to ensure a spot in the following draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->