All-Time Draft #5

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
raleh said:
Springfield breathes a collective sigh of relief as the Indians finally draft a goaltender in Vladislav Tretiak.

"He was the most complete goaltender I ever played against"-Guy Lalfeur.

If you wanna talk about a steal ... Good job Springfield!

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
The New Jersey Devils are pleased to select

Charlie Conacher

In his time, Charlie "The Big Bomber" Conacher had the hardest shot in hockey, a notorious blast that eluded goaltenders and dented rink boards. As a member of one of the most dangerous lines in hockey history, the Toronto Maple Leafs' Kid Line of the 1930s, right wing Conacher and left wing Harvey "Busher" Jackson were the beneficiaries of center Joe Primeau's slick passes as the threesome found itself near the top of the scoring lists for the better part of a decade.

With his linemates' help, Conacher became the best right wing in the game over the next half-decade. He was a daring and explosive scorer who used his size 6'1" and 200 pounds in his heyday - to his advantage. He could beat goalies equally well with his booming shot or with a deft move from close range. Once he got moving, he was famous for bowling over anyone between him and the net - and then often the net itself as he crossed the goal line just a few seconds after the puck.

Five times between 1930 and 1936, Conacher either led or tied for the league lead in goal-scoring. He was a Second Team All-Star in his second and third years in the league and a First Team selection for three consecutive seasons beginning in 1933-34. He also helped the Leafs win the Stanley Cup in 1932.

Conacher's style of play - which featured all-out attacks - didn't lend itself to a long career and injuries began to wear the big man down.
- HHoF Bio

"Conacher was Toronto's policeman for many years and a great one. He didn't go looking for trouble, but if it came along, he would clear it up." - King Clancy

"Charlie was my boy. He had everything. To begin with his wrist shot was tremendous. He once blasted a puck through the boards at Maple Leaf Gardens. And he could score from anywhere - out near the blue line or in close to the net. I still maintain that, mechanically speaking, he was the best hockey player I ever saw." - Frank Selke Sr.

"Charlie Conacher was the guy who could score the big goal for you, and he could score in a lot of ways." - Dick Irvin Sr.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I have a random question, but does anyone know the New York Ranger pairings from the 1994 cup run?

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
The New Jersey Devils are pleased to select a born leader, and the essence of everything a team captain should be

Syl Apps

Perhaps never has a finer man played in the NHL than Syl Apps. A remarkably skilled hockey player, he was big and strong and possessed one of the best shots in the league. He never drank or smoked, never swore and was as loyal to his boss, Conn Smythe, as to his team, the Toronto Maple Leafs.

In his first NHL season with the Leafs, he won the Calder Trophy, the first Leaf so honored, and his career continued to flourish. During that first year, many players thought he was too nice and not tough at all. Flash Hollett discovered this belief was mistaken one night when he high-sticked Apps, knocking out two teeth. Apps dropped his gloves and pummeled Hollett, but he got into only two other skirmishes in his whole career. In 1941-42, he went the whole season without getting a single penalty and was awarded the Lady Byng Trophy for his gentlemanly play. At the end of that season, he led the Leafs to the most improbable Stanley Cup win in NHL history, a series against Detroit that he calls his career highlight. The Leafs lost the first three games of the finals to the Red Wings but somehow won the next four in a row to win the Cup, the only time this has happened.
- HHoF Bio

Syl Apps was a born leader, and the essence of everything a team captain should be. After experiencing an Olympic Games with Canada as a pole-vaulter in 1936, the skilled centre spent ten pro seasons with the Toronto Maple Leafs, and served seven of those as team captain. He was awarded the Calder Trophy as outstanding rookie in 1936 and the Lady Byng for gentlemanly play in 1942. Apps also led his team to three Stanley Cups. (Apps spent his entire career in Toronto) and was selected as an All-Star seven times.
- Maple Leafs Alumni

"Apps is the greatest centre I have ever seen." - Jack Adams

"He is a Rembrandt on the ice, a Nijinsky at the goal mouth. He plays with such grace and precision you get the impression that every move is the execution of a mental image conceived long before he goes through the motions." - Vincent Lunny, author

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The Montreal Canadiens are pleased to select Scott Stevens, who will be our team's captain.

Stevens is a great leader who is capable of inspiring his teammates with his conduct both on and off the ice. He captained the New Jersey Devils to all three of the franchise's Stanley Cup championships. Stevens is one of the greatest defensive defensemen in NHL history, and one of it's most intimidating checkers.

Stevens won the Conn Smythe trophy in 2000, was runner-up for the Norris twice, and was a five-time all-star.

"Stevens also gained a reputation as an NHL Iron Man. He has played 22 seasons in the league and has often been among the leaders in games played. He is usually right near the top in penalty minutes as well. And even with all this emphasis on defense, Stevens is a complete enough player to hold the record for assists in a single season (60) with the New Jersey Devils... In New Jersey he was made team captain. With the "C" on his sweater, Stevens took on the role as inspirational leader for the Devils, who won the Stanley Cup in 1995 under his captaincy. The Devils players and fans were galvanized by Stevens big hits on the Red Wings Keith Primeau and Slava Kozlov, key psychological elements in the victory." -- HHOF

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
:leafs select

C Henri Richard

The only individual to have his name on the Stanley Cup 11 times as a player. Incredibly, he played on a Stanley Cup winner in more than half the seasons he played.

His brother rocket richard was very good about being great where as the pocket rock twas great at being very good. "Henri is a better all round player then I ever was"- Rocket Richard "Henri stickhandles better, controls the puck like it is on a string and skates faster.He is better then me in every way except goal scoring."The Pocket Rocket deliver more seasons played more games and accued more regular season and playoff points then the Rocket

The second best scorer in the Richard family still managed to out score such Hall of Famers as Andy Bathgate and Nels Stewart. If the real measure of the profesional athlete is victories then Henri stand on top of the Lord Stanley Mountain.

He won the cup 11 times in a 20 yr career

Henri Richard joined the Habs as they began their run of five straight Stanley Cup wins in 1956. In his third year, 1957-58, Richard led the NHL with 52 assists and was placed on the NHL First All-Star Team. When the Habs established a new record with their fifth consecutive Cup in 1960, Richard tied teammate Bernie Geoffrion with 12 post-season points. A key realization for the "Pocket Rocket" was that he wasn't able to be as consistent a goal scorer in the NHL as he'd been in junior.

As it turned out, the end of the dynasty coincided with Richard entering the prime of his career. His excellence on the ice helped Montreal enjoy much success in the 1960s. They won the Stanley Cup in 1965, 1966, 1968 and 1969 to fall only one championship shy of the miraculous 1950s. On May 5, 1966, Richard notched the biggest goal of his career when he scored the winner at 2:20 of overtime against Detroit to clinch the Habs' second consecutive Stanley Cup.

By the 1970s, Richard's production had slowed, but he remained a wily veteran whose presence in the dressing room helped Montreal stay among the elite teams of the NHL. During the 1971 finals versus Chicago, he showed he could still be an impact player. In the seventh and deciding game of the series, Richard scored the tying and winning goals to sink the Hawks 3-2 and bring Montreal its fifth Stanley Cup in seven years. A few months later, he succeeded Jean Beliveau as the Montreal captain. In the 1973 post-season, Richard made history by helping the Canadiens win the Stanley Cup. This placed his name in the record books as the only individual to have his name on the Stanley Cup 11 times as a player. Incredibly, he played on a Stanley Cup winner in more than half the seasons he played.

Richard became the ninth player in league history to score 1,000 points during a 2-2 tie in Buffalo on December 20, 1973. He retired after the 1974-75 season with 358 goals and 1,046 points to his credit. Following his last NHL year, he was presented with the Bill Masterton Trophy.

He was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1979 and the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame in 1991.

-When Henri centered my line he kept me in the league a few yrs longer then I should had lasted. Said the Rocket. The wya he skated the way he worked he made my job easy. much easier the I would had found it otherwise.

-That little bugger could skate for 5 minutes straight on the ice with the puck without getting tired- Ken Reardon Montreal Defenseman.

-There is a 15 yr age difference between the two Richard brothers.

-"They say there is no room in this league for small players"Pette Mahovlich "Ill tell you something if they have the same drive and fire that Henri has there is always room in this league for players like that

His jersey number (#16) was retired on December 10, 1975.

NHL Totals 1256 358 688 1046 928 Playoff Totals 180 49 80 129 181

Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy 74 1st All-Star Team Centre 58
2nd All-Star Team Centre 59,61,63

Last edited:

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Detroit takes one of the great 2-way players and a dominant playoff performer, C Sergei Fedorov

I wouldn't mind moving down a few spots in the next round, so if anyone wants to swap 5th and 6th round picks, send me a pm.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Taking a page from our old friend murray, the Trail Smoke Eaters are delighted to select quite possibly the best non-goalie who never played in the NHL, a player who could skate as fast backwards as he could forwards, and a player who excelled at both forward and defence:

Fred "Cyclone" Taylor

For the time being, Cyclone will be a defenceman.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080...?mem=p194706&type=Player&page=bio&list=ByName
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080....jsp?mem=p194706&page=statsawards&list=ByName

Career highlights:
*Two Stanley Cup championships (1909 and 1915)
*Charter member of the Hockey Hall of Fame (1945)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->