All-Time Draft #4

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
Arg, I was hoping the Big M would fall to me. Almost did, too. Oh well.

Instead, I'll select one of the most gentlemanly and underrated players of all time, Ron Francis.
Shoot, I wanted the Big M as well, ah well, I'll make my pick in a second....

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
The Seattle Metropolitans, upset that they couldn't grab Frank Mahovlich, instead turn to another leaf, one of the greatest Swedes of all time and one of the best passing defensemen ever, Borje Salming.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Les As de Quebec is proud to select this 2 time Art Ross winner, 5 time post season All Star and 5 time NHL goal scoring leader... Charlie Conacher
With his linemates' help, Conacher became the best right wing in the game over the next half-decade. He was a daring and explosive scorer who used his size 6'1" and 200 pounds in his heyday - to his advantage. He could beat goalies equally well with his booming shot or with a deft move from close range. Once he got moving, he was famous for bowling over anyone between him and the net - and then often the net itself as he crossed the goal line just a few seconds after the puck.-HHOF

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Philadelphia Flyers select one of the forgotten men of hockey, Rod Langway

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
go kim johnsson 514 said:
The Philadelphia Flyers select one of the forgotten men of hockey, Rod Langway
Dang! That hurt.
I had him earmarked for two rounds from now.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
BM67 has taken over 9 hours of his clock...

maybe because he's entertaining offers of trade for the pick? (I know I sent him one)

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
The New Jersey Devils are pleased to select a rugged all-around player in HHoFer

Milt Schmidt

"The "oaken-hearted" Schmidt was a superb play-maker, known for creating brilliant scoring plays at breakneck speeds." - Ultimate Hockey

"Give me 5 Milt Schmidts up front and put your grandmother in goal and we'd never lose" - Red Storey

"The saddest part of Milt Schmidt's career was that the majestic center excelled in the National Hockey League in the pretelevision era. Comparable to Gordie Howe in style, Milt's fearlessness and mutiple talents escaped the realm of videotape, but not legend." - Who's Who in Hockey

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
BM67 said:
The New Jersey Devils are pleased to select a rugged all-around player in HHoFer

Milt Schmidt

"The "oaken-hearted" Schmidt was a superb play-maker, known for creating brilliant scoring plays at breakneck speeds." - Ultimate Hockey

"Give me 5 Milt Schmidts up front and put your grandmother in goal and we'd never lose" - Red Storey

"The saddest part of Milt Schmidt's career was that the majestic center excelled in the National Hockey League in the pretelevision era. Comparable to Gordie Howe in style, Milt's fearlessness and mutiple talents escaped the realm of videotape, but not legend." - Who's Who in Hockey

And I thought I got him as a steal last draft at 53...

Great pick. I had a feeling you were going to grab him right before my picks.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Spitfire11 said:
And I thought I got him as a steal last draft at 53...

Great pick. I had a feeling you were going to grab him right before my picks.
That's the latest Mahovlich or Schmidt have been taken in any of the 4 drafts. Mahovlich had never lasted past 49 before, and for Schmidt it was 53. Frank has gone as high as 41 and Schmidt 38.

I was hoping to get Conacher at 62, but I think I can live with Milt. ;)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Why Jagr will never be seen as the best ever right winger

Some try to say Jagr is even better than Gordie was (or used to, when JJ was hottest) but...

Jagr isn't great defensively.

For the historical record: In the first period of the first game of the 05/06 season, Jagr coughed up the puck on a bad play and it immediately led to a goal against as Forsberg to Gagne cost the NYR a goal.

Sorry, Les As de Quebec. I don't think Jagr should have been drafted before Jari Kurri. If we could quantify offense-defense excellence on a scale of 1-to-100, Jagr would be like 90-30=120 while Kurri would be 75-75=150. 150>120. Kurri a better hockey player than Jagr.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
uh, i guess history will show... Jagr just scored the tying and go-ahead goal for the NYR in the season opener....

that supports the contention that he is soo good offensively that it makes up for any mistakes he makes defensively...

He is in a scoring "slump" careerwise some have said, yet he still is the highest scoring right winger over the last five seasons combined.

He's Top 50... but I just like Kurri more, and would have drafted him over Jagr if I had had the chance in the 3rd round... Kurri was a complete player, amazing away from the puck too and on the pk.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Detroit will add Hart winners D Chris Pronger and C Sergei Fedorov

Can someone PM the next person, does Dr get another 12 hrs??

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
VanIslander said:
Why Jagr will never be seen as the best ever right winger

Some try to say Jagr is even better than Gordie was (or used to, when JJ was hottest) but...

Jagr isn't great defensively.

For the historical record: In the first period of the first game of the 05/06 season, Jagr coughed up the puck on a bad play and it immediately led to a goal against as Forsberg to Gagne cost the NYR a goal.

Sorry, Les As de Quebec. I don't think Jagr should have been drafted before Jari Kurri. If we could quantify offense-defense excellence on a scale of 1-to-100, Jagr would be like 90-30=120 while Kurri would be 75-75=150. 150>120. Kurri a better hockey player than Jagr.
I don't know one person that says JJ is the best RW ever but I just can't agree with that bolded statement at all. While I understand Kurri's value and great play, he was never the best player in the league or on his teams.

Last edited:

KariyaIsGod*

Sorry about the wait guys.

I've decided to go a different route than usual. I want to load up on firepower...

So firstly, I will select a man I've seen click with Wayne Gretzky before, Brian Propp.

I'll follow that up by taking a center to my second line, Peter Statsny.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
#66 said:
I don't know one person that says JJ is the best RW ever .
Of course not NOW. I said in the past, before his midcareer "slow down" (slump isn't quite the word for it: he went from superstar to star status).

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
The New Jersey Devils are pleased to select an all-star at both right wing and defense, the NHL's first 20 year man, a captain and player/coach for the Boston Bruins, and the first player to have the waiting period waived for his induction into the HHoF

Dit Clapper

"While demonstrating a high level of skill both as a defenseman and as a forward, Aubrey "Dit" Clapper became one of the league's most versatile performers. In a career that lasted two decades, he forged a reputation as a tenacious yet honest competitor. He rarely looked for trouble on the ice, but if the game turned rough, he was one of the league's more accomplished pugilists. Throughout his pro tenure, Clapper was a respected leader on the ice and in the dressing room." - HHoF Bio

"Dit Clapper was the NHL's most admirable star during the time between the final days of Howie Morenz to the starburst that was Maurice Richard. Above all, he was a powerful man, 6-foot-2, 200 pounds, slow to anger, but hellish to deal with when stirred." - THN The Top 100 NHL Players of All Time

"He was so very good in so many ways, but he stood out for one thing. He made so few mistakes." - Bobby Bauer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->