All-Time Dirty All-star team

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
I was waiting for someone else to say it. I never remember Bryan Trottier being considered a dirty player. He might have "toed the line" between questionable and dirty a few times, but even then, he played the game the right way and I just can't say he deserves to be on this team. Bryan Trottier is just out of place next to Claude Lemieux and company.

Trottier was one of the most physical forwards I have ever seen. He hit everything, and he hit everything really, really hard. Throwing big hits was a key part of his game. But he rarely got the elbow up a la Chris Chelios or went after players in vulnerable positions a la Claude Lemieux. He really wasn't dirty. At least not anything close to the level that most of the other guys on this list were.

He wasn't even the "dirtiest" part of the Islanders' big three. Denis Potvin was way, way worse, and even he can't be considered anything close to a "dirty" player. Phil Esposito once said the hardest hit he ever took in his career was a Denis Potvin cross-check in the lower back. Trottier and Potvin were tough, no-nonsense players who were known for their physicality, but neither was "dirty."

Ok fair enough. I didn't remember Trottier being all that dirty either buteven I might've missed something. So who should replace J. Lemieux as the 3rd line right wing?

Brad May is a candidate but I dont know if he really deserve such a label. He had his moments, like the Johnsson incident, Heinze but I dont see he like a rotten player really.

Matthew Barnaby is another but not really a rotten player either.

Fleury is too good. Sandström ditto.

Ruuttu has obviously not earned a spot yet.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Ok fair enough. I didn't remember Trottier being all that dirty either buteven I might've missed something. So who should replace J. Lemieux as the 3rd line right wing?

Brad May is a candidate but I dont know if he really deserve such a label. He had his moments, like the Johnsson incident, Heinze but I dont see he like a rotten player really.

Matthew Barnaby is another but not really a rotten player either.

Fleury is too good. Sandström ditto.

Ruuttu has obviously not earned a spot yet.

I don't know about Ruutu not having earned a spot yet. He's pretty damn dirty. Probably the dirtiest forward in the league. Remember that hit on Jagr in the 2006 Olympics? I'd put him on the third line, but if you don't think he's earned it and don't mind position swapping, Esa Tikkanen is the obvious choice. He even played sporadically on Mark Messier's wing, especially in his early Oiler days. The number of flying elbows and baseball swing slashes during one of their shifts cannot be counted.

Your revised team looks pretty good to me.

Clarke-Messier-Howe
Lindsay-Linseman-C. Lemieux
Tucker-Hunter-Tikkanen
Schultz-Riseborough-Brown

Shore-Chelios
Pronger-Cleghorn
Marchment-Samuelsson

Smith
Hextall

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
I don't know about Ruutu not having earned a spot yet. He's pretty damn dirty. Probably the dirtiest forward in the league. Remember that hit on Jagr in the 2006 Olympics? I'd put him on the third line, but if you don't think he's earned it and don't mind position swapping, Esa Tikkanen is the obvious choice. He even played sporadically on Mark Messier's wing, especially in his early Oiler days. The number of flying elbows and baseball swing slashes during one of their shifts cannot be counted.

Your revised team looks pretty good to me.

Clarke-Messier-Howe
Lindsay-Linseman-C. Lemieux
Tucker-Hunter-Tikkanen
Schultz-Riseborough-Brown

Shore-Chelios
Pronger-Cleghorn
Marchment-Samuelsson

Smith
Hextall

I will go with Tikkanen then. :)

Revised team:

Clarke - Messier - Howe
Lindsay - Linseman - C. Lemieux
Tucker - Dale Hunter - Tikkanen
Schultz - Risebrough - Brown
Domi

Chelios - Shore
Pronger - Cleghorn
Suter - Marchment
Samuelsson

Billy Smith
Ron Hextall

Coach: Keenan
Ass: Crawford and Ferguson

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Revised team:

Clarke - Messier - Howe
Domi

Chelios - Shore
Pronger - Cleghorn
Suter - Marchment
Samuelsson

Billy Smith
Ron Hextall

Cripes....They might be unbeatable. If you took a lead on them they'd probably kill you, lol.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
these are my picks

Ted Lindsay – Bob Clarke – Maurice Richard
Claude Lemieux – Messier – Dino Ciccarelli
Pie McKenzie – Nels Stewart – Dale Hunter
Sean Avery - Ken Linesman – Reggie Fleming

Eddie Shore – Sprague Cleghorn
Gary Suter – Chris Pronger
Teddy Green – Bryan Marchment
Ulf Samuelsson

Billy Smith – Ron Hextall

Fred Shero HC
Bob Hartley AC
Mike Keenan AC

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
these are my picks

Ted Lindsay – Bob Clarke – Maurice Richard
Claude Lemieux – Messier – Dino Ciccarelli
Pie McKenzie – Nels Stewart – Dale Hunter
Sean Avery - Ken Linesman – Reggie Fleming

Eddie Shore – Sprague Cleghorn
Gary Suter – Chris Pronger
Teddy Green – Bryan Marchment
Ulf Samuelsson

Billy Smith – Ron Hextall

Fred Shero HC
Bob Hartley AC
Mike Keenan AC

Also a very good dirty team but would Linseman accept a 4th line role in his prime? Same goes for Teddy Green would he accept limited minutes at 3rd pairing?

I like the team though lots of similiarities to my own.

chicoutimicucumber

Aug 4, 2009
rofl. Had a "d'oh" moment where I finally realized "ass." referred to assistant coach rather than ass, period (and there I was wondering why you needed two of them...). That was intentional, right? :D

You need a mascot for this team.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
rofl. Had a "d'oh" moment where I finally realized "ass." referred to assistant coach rather than ass, period (and there I was wondering why you needed two of them...). That was intentional, right? :D

You need a mascot for this team.

TAZ-THINKING.GIF

Clarke - Messier - Howe
Domi

Chelios - Shore
Pronger - Cleghorn
Suter - Marchment
Samuelsson

Billy Smith
Ron Hextall

Better?

Hockeynomad

Sep 10, 2007
Toronto
You honestly believe that Anderson would accept a 4th line role?

He an ass. coach. :)

Hey, he played for Canadiens in 1960s to 1971 and was the "policeman" on that team.

If you referring to the John Ferguson Jr Leaf GM, that guy was his daddy, sonny.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Hey, he played for Canadiens in 1960s to 1971 and was the "policeman" on that team.

If you referring to the John Ferguson Jr Leaf GM, that guy was his daddy, sonny.

Ferguson Sr. is most famous for encouraging Clarke to injure Kharlamov. Thats why I put him as Ass. coach, sonny.

Niagara67

Jun 4, 2010
A lot of people liked how Scott Stevens flattened players with clean hits...but I don't fall for his "I was only doing my job" look. I'm convinced that once in a while he was out to injure.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I was posting in another thread about the '70s Flyers, and I was reminded of one of their dirtiest players, defenseman, Ed Van Impe. I don't know if he could push any of the previously mentioned defensemen out of their slot, but he should definitely get consideration for the 2nd Team All-Time Dirty squad.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
I was posting in another thread about the '70s Flyers, and I was reminded of one of their dirtiest players, defenseman, Ed Van Impe. I don't know if he could push any of the previously mentioned defensemen out of their slot, but he should definitely get consideration for the 2nd Team All-Time Dirty squad.

He definitly should.. he was dumped because he wasnt as hated as the players on the team but he might have been just as dirty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad