Speculation: All Things Pete DeBoer - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
It's strange that Lou hasn't axed him yet.
What's the real story in house?

I don't think there's any "real story". I think it's just a combination of things...acknowledging that this is a bad roster, there being no really good replacements for Pete available, and timing (what's the point of firing the coach of a sinking ship especially one with so many kids that have no experience and probably need the stability?).

That being said I think there are reasons to fire him immediately. To send a message, and also to get someone who has the courage to play the kids and really takes the time to guide them through the rough patches. Who that person would be remains the major question.

There is one more reason too... Just to simply spite Pete and see him get fired in the middle of the season would bring me great satisfaction.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It boggles the mind that a GM like Lou, who is normally over-trigger happy to fire coaches, is giving Pete this many excuses. The team is pathetically bad and it's clear the guys have lost touch. We need a new face behind the bench.

I think one of the reason may be because of Lou's age. In the past when Lou fired someone it wasn't uncommon for him to step behind the bench in the interim until he found a new guy. I think the search for an interim might be a problem because Lou can't do it himself, yet wants to fins someone he can trust to right the ship.

Lemaire isn't going to do it again.

liquid1988

Oct 14, 2013
Exit 88 GSPW
tank-driver-fail-rollover.jpg

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
ROW's each season through first 30 games:

2008/2009 (Florida) - 12
2009/2010 (Florida) - 6
2010/2011 (Florida) - 12
2011/2012 (NJ) - 9
2012/2013 (NJ) - 11
2013/2014 (NJ) - 11
2014/2015 (NJ) - 10

Does it really matter what kind of team he has? His defenders will say that the 2011-2012 team was still a "work in progress" through the first 30 games, but they had a still good Elias, Kovy, Parise, Clarkson, Marty, etc.

Definitely consistent...at being bad. This guy is like the Teflon don of coaches. Has there ever been any other coach with this abysmal of a record who has remained in the league for this long?

NHL Fanatik*

Personally, I think Lou either wants to place low in the standings (lol) or he will rid of Deboer at the end of the season.

Both go hand in hand though, so...

Still doubt we get a top 5 pick. Hopefully I am wrong.

How deep is said draft? Top 5 enough for a stud elite prospect? Or just top 3? Or top 10?

Surely we will take a no name defensemen with a top 5 pick, or trade it off for Sharp or some older player to fill a hole... Lol.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 2m2 minutes ago

Fire & Ice blog: Jaromir Jagr: A Devils' coaching change "would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make":

well then

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Fire & Ice blog: Jaromir Jagr: A Devils' coaching change "would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make":

well then

What the quote doesn't show is Jagr holding up a photoshopped picture of him playing with McDavid here next season :sarcasm:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Personally, I think Lou either wants to place low in the standings (lol) or he will rid of Deboer at the end of the season.

Both go hand in hand though, so...

Still doubt we get a top 5 pick. Hopefully I am wrong.

How deep is said draft? Top 5 enough for a stud elite prospect? Or just top 3? Or top 10?

Surely we will take a no name defensemen with a top 5 pick, or trade it off for Sharp or some older player to fill a hole... Lol.

I don't doubt we get a top 5 pick for one second. The only thing that can help us is if Cory steals more games for us than he has already, which is asking too much and unlikely. Most other bottom feeders at least have a forward or two that can step up and pretty much win the game single-handily with their skill. We can't expect the likes of Jagr and Gomer to do the same, and we surely can't expect our defensemen to do that.

Couple all of that with some of Deboer's classic personnel choices and it's looking more and more likely we end up with a top 5 pick, at least.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

well then

I love Jagr but ********.

And to those thinking there isn't a better replacement out there, two words... Paul Maclean.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
There's no vet that is going to throw Pete under the bus, they just can't, won't and don't do those things.

That being said what vet wouldn't like this coach? You'll get preferential treatment, the benefit of the doubt at all times, all the playing time you could ever ask for, you can **** up and stink up the joint as much as possible, take games off, all of the above with absolutely zero accountability and zero repercussions.

If Pete was my boss I'd love him. I'd come in an hour late and leave and hour early every day and wouldn't give a ****.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
he has to say that.

No he doesn't. He could easily have said "it's not coaching that is the problem"

But he went out of his way with his comment...look, I'm no Pete defender, but it just doesn't make any sense to make a change.

You bring in a new coach to right the ship, there is no ship here.

NHL Fanatik*

I don't doubt we get a top 5 pick for one second. The only thing that can help us is if Cory steals more games for us than he has already, which is asking too much and unlikely. Most other bottom feeders at least have a forward or two that can step up and pretty much win the game single-handily with their skill. We can't expect the likes of Jagr and Gomer to do the same, and we surely can't expect our defensemen to do that.

Couple all of that with some of Deboer's classic personnel choices and it's looking more and more likely we end up with a top 5 pick, at least.

Colorado, Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona, Columbus, Philly and Carolina are all capable of doing worse than us. I could see Columbus, Philly, and Colorado passing us, but the other three?

And thats end of the season, not 30 games in.

Cant believe we finish so low for the first time in a while, and a team like Edmonton can steal a franchise guy from us. Really irks me, that franchise is a disgrace to the NHL.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
No he doesn't. He could easily have said "it's not coaching that is the problem"

But he went out of his way with his comment...look, I'm no Pete defender, but it just doesn't make any sense to make a change.

You bring in a new coach to right the ship, there is no ship here.

well that we agree on

keep him til April so we can get a top pick, then show him the door

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Colorado, Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona, Columbus, Philly and Carolina are all capable of doing worse than us. I could see Columbus, Philly, and Colorado passing us, but the other three?

And thats end of the season, not 30 games in.

Cant believe we finish so low for the first time in a while, and a team like Edmonton can steal a franchise guy from us. Really irks me, that franchise is a disgrace to the NHL.

I can't see Carolina or Edmonton doing better than us. I can see Buffalo passing us though, they've shown they can get hot and go on a winning streak, something we haven't done in years. One more winning streak like they've had recently, or are still on I'm not sure, and they can pull away from us a bit.

It's still early but we still have the same old team using the same old Deboer system, with it's same old glaring flaws. I just don't see us gaining any ground any time soon. And if Cammy is out for a long period of time, forget about it.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
he has to say that.

Arguably the most honest and upfront guy we've had since Holik now all of a sudden woke up on this Sunday December 14, 2014 and decided he's going to start giving push over answers :laugh:

It would be one thing to answer something along the lines of 'there are several things that could be changed' to that question which would have dodged it, but to say it would be among the 'biggest mistakes' tells you all you need to know and is about as explicit as it can get. This is further supported when he has been asked how he likes playing with so and so and he's answered 'we're all working to get comfortable with one another'/'it's going to take some time to learn eachother first'.

Now I have to make this clear because I'll otherwise have words put into my mouth because of the comprehension issues around here, it does not mean I agree with what he said, but you can't just look at something with such deep blinders on, at last be somewhat objective and look at the scope of the situation of who is saying it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad