All things Pegula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Pegula Sports & Entertainment lays off hospitality workers...

First off, a business laying off people when there is no business, not a problem. I actually have no issue with them not "saving" jobs for when things come back, because frankly, we have no idea what this looks like and if companies will be able to open up 100% or not to start. So the idea that they could say "we're going to re-open at the same staffing levels", that isn't possible.

The shitty thing here is the not paying out accrued PTO for employees they are letting go. That is super shitty. Depending on how much that is, if it were my employer and they pulled that, it'd be lawyer time. I don't think its realistic to pay out for ALL cancelled games, but a severance package for people they are laying off would be the right thing to do. Period.

My last two employers implemented similar policies over the past 10 years, and one of them even cancelled bonuses that were already contractually earned/owed.

When it comes to workers' rights and labor laws we lag far far behind many other countries in the world. I doubt a lawyer could do much of anything to change policies like these.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Natural gas is the sweet sweet hydrocarbon reward for fracking.

I see what happened, oil so low makes natural gas less attractive. Kills a portion of the market by substitution.

I hardly see how a drastic dip in oil prices makes natural gas less attractive. Businesses and individuals are not going to totally revamp their energy systems because of a temporary blip.. and certainly not this fast.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I hardly see how a drastic dip in oil prices makes natural gas less attractive. Businesses and individuals are not going to totally revamp their energy systems because of a temporary blip.. and certainly not this fast.

Fair enough. Natural gas is near its all time low, so that might be putting a crimp on his style too.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Fair enough. Natural gas is near its all time low, so that might be putting a crimp on his style too.

I think people mistakenly think these billionaires are cash rich. They're only billionaires because of the assets they hold. I'm sure they have their money tied up in various different things and their businesses are run like businesses ..operating on a budget

Reactions: Rocket Surgeon

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I think people mistakenly think these billionaires are cash rich. They're only billionaires because of the assets they hold. I'm sure they have their money tied up in various different things and their businesses are run like businesses ..operating on a budget

His billions might have been shaved by 30%. More. Who knows? His reputation is being destroyed. Pegula is 68. Is going to be buried with his assets? How much money does he need to leave to his kids -- they are beyond set forever.

Look at what one of Canada's richest men has done during this crisis.

“Front-line workers at Loblaws grocery stores to receive pay hike amid COVID-19 pandemic”
Front-line workers at Loblaws grocery stores to receive pay hike amid COVID-19 pandemic

Galen Weston didn't just give his workers a raise, he made it retroactive to March 8 -- that's what is remarkable.

You can be defined by your behaviour in times like this. The Loblaws chain will be associated with their behaviour for years to come. The Pegulas will be associated with their behaviour for years to come too.

Terry will be mocked more than ever for his "dig another well" comment. His credibility is at an all-time low. I wonder if he's truly in bad financial shape -- some major debt issues -- to explain his decisions.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
His billions might have been shaved by 30%. More. Who knows? His reputation is being destroyed. Pegula is 68. Is going to be buried with his assets? How much money does he need to leave to his kids -- they are beyond set forever.

Look at what one of Canada's richest men has done during this crisis.

“Front-line workers at Loblaws grocery stores to receive pay hike amid COVID-19 pandemic”
Front-line workers at Loblaws grocery stores to receive pay hike amid COVID-19 pandemic

Galen Weston didn't just give his workers a raise, he made it retroactive to March 8 -- that's what is remarkable.

You can be defined by your behaviour in times like this. The Loblaws chain will be associated with their behaviour for years to come. The Pegulas will be associated with their behaviour for years to come too.

Terry will be mocked more than ever for his "dig another well" comment. His credibility is at an all-time low. I wonder if he's truly in bad financial shape -- some major debt issues -- to explain his decisions.

You're probably right. Because people are ridiculous and often the loudest.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
And mind you, Boston took the same tack re their game night staff....they'll pay them WHEN games get cancelled, instead of doing so right now. Every other team has some sort of plan in place.

Consider that for a minute: We're now being compared to Boston. And not in a good way, either.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

That's fine. It very well could just be another business investment for him. His actions speak loudly.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I just saw that the hospitality staff are welcome to reapply for their jobs, when they should be safe. Dear Terry, you're a douche. The end.

Dear Terry: You can count on me NOT eating at 716 or The Draft Room EVER again. If I want some pre-game grub(for the Bandits; I usually get 1 Sabres game free as part of my season tix package), I'll go to Seneca Buffalo Creek or Swannie House.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Dear Terry: You can count on me NOT eating at 716 or The Draft Room EVER again. If I want some pre-game grub(for the Bandits; I usually get 1 Sabres game free as part of my season tix package), I'll go to Seneca Buffalo Creek or Swannie House.

You won't miss much because 716 is a horrible rip off. I welcomed the Pegulas when they bought the team but everything they touch turns to crap and they are super cheap in the dumbest ways possible.

So much is said about them "Saving The Team" and it's just plan false. Golisano saved the team, not them. Tom ran a disciplined approach to team and demanded profitability. Yet, somehow there was NEVER the cheapness you see around the arena today. Small things like expanding store and eliminating that tiny nook for Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame. Why bother? Crazy things like forcing you to order chips to get a sandwich. Huh? I just don't eat at the arena now and grab a hot dog outside before the game. Reducing Sabresbucks from 2.5% to 2% for STHers. The examples are endless. There are micro ones and then there are the big ones like refusing to pay O'Reilly bonus and forcing a trade before July 1 deadline. Sure, Pags saved $7.5 M but what did that cost him in butts in seats and concessions since that game because it really killed the team.

If you are not at games all the time, you will miss so many of these signs all over the place. They are tiny but add up. The Pegulas are terrible operators. They don't get the game at all. Terry refuses to hire a team president and has put family members in key positions. It's not a professional organization.

I'm torn because this is my team. Should I quit because of the owner. I was here first as were most of you.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
To HSF and EH: I'm more apt to go to Draft Room than 716(and I do agree about DR's menu, even if it's a bit limited), but to me it's being consistent in my stance. If PSE is not willing to stand by its employees in a time of crisis, why should I spend one single dime of my money in their restaurants?

Furthermore, I can tell you for a FACT that even before this happened PSE was treating its employees like crap. At my workplace, we recently brought into our department(stock, if you're wondering)someone who worked behind the scenes at 716(he's also worked for the Bisons); they cut his hours AND benefits. Needless to say, he wasn't OK with that.

Reactions: sabremike

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
So, I’ve pretty much decided that I’m out on the Sabres of the Pegulas’ cruel indifference during a time of crisis. Leonsis is such a good guy, and I live in the DC area, I’d like to switch my allegiance to the Caps. The problem is, I went and lurked in their board, and it is very bad. I mean, the level of discourse is embarrassing. It’s you guys. You sons of guns are going to keep me a Sabres fan and I...can’t forgive you for that. Lol.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So, I’ve pretty much decided that I’m out on the Sabres of the Pegulas’ cruel indifference during a time of crisis. Leonsis is such a good guy, and I live in the DC area, I’d like to switch my allegiance to the Caps. The problem is, I went and lurked in their board, and it is very bad. I mean, the level of discourse is embarrassing. It’s you guys. You sons of guns are going to keep me a Sabres fan and I...can’t forgive you for that. Lol.

I'm having the same issue - part of this is people. I miss talking with you guys.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I used to be a Washington football fan, so I get it.

But, after that experience and all the things Snyder did before I walked away from being a fan of his team, the stuff that the Pegulas are doing is nothing.

:facepalm:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Eh, when I look at the bills PR and the Sabres PR, there is a very clear difference even though they have the same owners.

I'm not OK with the Pegula's treating their workers like cattle.

I am OK with the Pegula's making sound business decisions.

After letting the smoke clear, it just feels like they need to get their shit together at the top of the Sabres org and put in an infrastructure to distance themselves from day to day operations. This feels like an out of touch billionaire making decisions in a vacuum rather than someone approaching them and saying "So here are our options, spelling out costs and potential repercussions of them all". This year has been a lot of "lack of planning, blowback, attempt to recover". I really hope this helps the Pegula's realize how badly they've mangled the Sabres this year and the need to spend more on the day to day (and HockeyOps) rather than trying to handle it all themselves.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Pegula Sports & Entertainment lays off hospitality workers...

The shitty thing here is the not paying out accrued PTO for employees they are letting go. That is super shitty. Depending on how much that is, if it were my employer and they pulled that, it'd be lawyer time. I don't think its realistic to pay out for ALL cancelled games, but a severance package for people they are laying off would be the right thing to do. Period.

I know it's small in the grand scheme of things, and I don't agree with it ethically - but it's not against the law in New York state to not pay PTO out. As long as it's written in their policies they don't have to pay it out.

Again, I'm not standing up for them, nor do I think it's the right thing, but it is not against the law. I know this because I was looking this over due to my company having the same provision in their policy...

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I do not want to conflate my ire regarding Sabres brass with business decisions of a tenant whose business has been shut down. I assume the Pegulas will have to pay Buffalo continued rent. I assume they will have to pay players, coaches, other staff. I think a measured approach by Pegulas should be the watchword with respect to part time help--what is the government doing and how can a part time employer help top this up. If everyone is paying their house cleaners,, pool men and Yardmen for not coming then kudos them. I am not likely to do that myself although I will be generous as possible.

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
The Pegulas donated $1.2 million in aid to WNY yesterday. Unbelievable that people on here don't think they have contributed greatly to the community.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The Pegulas donated $1.2 million in aid to WNY yesterday. Unbelievable that people on here don't think they have contributed greatly to the community.

I don't begrudge the Pegula's for their wealth and am forever grateful to them for buying both the Sabres and Bills.

But, to a guy worth 5B+

If you have $10,000 in a savings account, the equivalent would be donating $2.40.

Drew Brees, a guy worth 1/50th of the Pegula's, just donated 5M.

While I do think the issue with the Pegula's is more of a PR and organizational issue, not a greed issue, the expectation as a sports owner in a small city is to be engaged, generous, and a good employer. As I said in my previous post, it really feels like he's an out of town owner and out of touch with the working class fan base. And if he wants to sit far away and be a hands off owner, that's fine, just put some people who can run a team and organization in charge.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I would hope that we could separate conversations about sports team mismanagement with them doing something good for the community.

People in our region who desperately need stuff are gonna get stuff. Right now that's all that matters. We can quibble about the % of net worth on the other side.

Reactions: Puppa2Miller
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad