All things Pegula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMjack

Jul 1, 2020
Hahahahahahahhaha

hey, leino and murray came off the books today but they're also back 20M in July 1 bonuses.

and ... are we talking about like buyouts for contracts that can easily be found on cap geek or we talking about the purging of the front office that *maybe* had contracts that they still owe on after the firings?

wawrow says in a follow up that "it wasn't referring specifically to player contracts" so basically they didn’t know they’d still have to pay the people they fired. unreal.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Wholly agree, but you can move the cash (or assets) before a bankruptcy declaration to an irrevocable trust which pays on a schedule to the beneficiaries, correct?

Highly illegal. I'm not sure of statue of limitations with how far back bankruptcy court will go back, but the one case I was on, they went back 7 years to recover illegal dividend payments moving cash to investment accounts.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
The Sabres hire their new finance guy, he was the CFO for a soft baked cookie company. Does anyone in the org know 1 single thing about hockey lol

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
I couldn't care less if a financial person in business ops knows hockey or not.

Meanwhile the Bills hire someone that worked at Google and some solid sports background. Its blatantly obvious where their priorities are

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I couldn't care less if a financial person in business ops knows hockey or not.
People with experience in other successful businesses, hired for tasks they are suited to perform. Seems ok to me. Just make sure the same filter is applied to drafting, signing, developing and trading hockey players.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The McFarlane hire interests me because it brings a prominent local businessman into PSE. The McFarlane and Habib families who founded the cookie empire are extensively involved in the community. This is a guy who knows how things are done in WNY and has the connections to get things done. The Pegulas have thumbed their noses at local business leaders thinking they could go it alone. In McFarlane, they're not just hiring a Sr. Vice President of Finance and Administration, they're getting a network. I can see him being the lead on any stadium/arena project.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The Sabres hire their new finance guy, he was the CFO for a soft baked cookie company. Does anyone in the org know 1 single thing about hockey lol
when we were kids, my siblings and I used to tell my Mom* we could use her brownies as hockey pucks.

*she passed away 4 years ago yesterday. Freely admitted all her life she wasn’t a good cook / baker.

Damn, I thought we hired Famous Amos. Let down again.
The late Cookie Gilchrist approves of this post.

Reactions: slip and oldgoalie

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
The McFarlane hire interests me because it brings a prominent local businessman into PSE. The McFarlane and Habib families who founded the cookie empire are extensively involved in the community. This is a guy who knows how things are done in WNY and has the connections to get things done. The Pegulas have thumbed their noses at local business leaders thinking they could go it alone. In McFarlane, they're not just hiring a Sr. Vice President of Finance and Administration, they're getting a network. I can see him being the lead on any stadium/arena project.

Met this guy a couple times and he is a really good guy. This guy was truly devastated what Ralcorp did 7 years ago. It ate him up. Glad to see Petri coming back to Dunkirk.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
People with experience in other successful businesses, hired for tasks they are suited to perform. Seems ok to me. Just make sure the same filter is applied to drafting, signing, developing and trading hockey players.

b7mdfoBZV4nOLeLElOjakC2crpOkqdhN8NiCg_Go2Yebevrlk7rfpN2wi5kyqe4YlQWbc39H4TQ-p-upcEipDHf8hcKslvrZFEE9zRZI5b0eFArMWcb7L3cYgNpqIOX82j6EnbgF4bDPoIgA-M_pE3VlEASpoSe7X3oRfNjPKyKEStXlzITxX1seFA

May Day 10

Apr 19, 2006
St Catharines, ON
the Sabres really couldnt get much worse than they were under Adams' leadership of that side. At least from a fan's perspective and optics of being a professional sports organization

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
I was just thinking that *right now* is pretty much dead rock bottom in Sabres history.

Can anyone recall a worse time?

I think it was actually better when the owner of the team was being led away by police in handcuffs.

PegulasSportsEmpire

Mar 24, 2007
BUFFALO
Yeah. This is about as bad as the John Rigas years.

We'll see what this team looks like both on and off the ice when the Pandemic ends.

But if they're still losing games and money, then yeah, then we hope a savior comes along and rescues the Sabres from the Pegulas.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Yeah. This is about as bad as the John Rigas years.

We'll see what this team looks like both on and off the ice when the Pandemic ends.

But if they're still losing games and money, then yeah, then we hope a savior comes along and rescues the Sabres from the Pegulas.

Its honestly worse then the Rigas years from my perspective. At least with Rigas, we had tangible reasons for the failure: small market team, no salary cap, exodus of great players due to financial constraints, embezzling owner in bankruptcy. The Pegulas rode in on a white horse with the passion and resources to backstop this organization into a winner. It is only through their gross mismanagement that we are here. Early on, they claimed that they were learning on the job, but in 8 years, it is clear that they have not learned anything on how to manage an NHL franchise.

With the Rigas teams, I was pained by the thought of the team moving. With the Pegula era, I no longer care.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
NHL's Executive Inclusion Council aims to create change throughout hockey
Memo to Kim: there's a lot of women that are qualified to work in hockey ops (analytics, scouting, coaching - particularly skating). There's a lot of women, some from this area, that could bring more to the broadcast team than Peters, Rivet, and Ray. By the way great job standing up for diversity with the Beauts.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The Pegulas rode in on a white horse with the passion and resources to backstop this organization into a winner. It is only through their gross mismanagement that we are here.

Pegulas decided they know more about hockey than anybody else. It's Steinbrenner syndrome under cap. Bound to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad