Speculation: All things NHL expansion

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Really... about the same. The Islanders sold for $480m... I don't think the franchise most set on selling (Hurricanes) will go for under $400m.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm back...only momentarily but this topic intrigues me. I'll say this, the Central is the toughest division in the NHL. All of the AVs stars that should be a part of the future have signed reasonable contracts. If there is truly a min/max salary cap that can be left open a dilution of talent through expansion should only help the AVs.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Weren't you forced to protect the guys with NTCs/NMCs the last time around?

Depending on when this draft takes place, the Avs will probably be forced to protect Beauchemin.

Very interesting scenario indeed. Gives a whole new twist to everything.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Depending on when this draft takes place, the Avs will probably be forced to protect Beauchemin.

That's really not a problem though because he's currently the second best D-man on the AVs. The question I have is regarding protection of players in the AHL. How does that work?

Is the draft open to all players in a system or only those on the NHL squad?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

The last time I guess that was the case. The NHL seems pretty adamant that NTC/NMC players will be available to draft.

If there is a 1G-5D-9F limit and even a 2 year pro rule, the Avs probably would only have ~3-4 defensemen worth protecting. So even if they are required to protect Beauch (which I doubt), there is probably a decent chance they would protect him anyway since there would be plenty of room.

There's some automatic protection of young players

Yep... it will just depend on what exactly. I'd be shocked if they let younger players be eligible than last time. I expect it to include 3rd year pros this time around (was 2 last time).

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The last time I guess that was the case. The NHL seems pretty adamant that NTC/NMC players will be available to draft.

If there is a 1G-5D-9F limit and even a 2 year pro rule, the Avs probably would only have ~3-4 defensemen worth protecting. So even if they are required to protect Beauch (which I doubt), there is probably a decent chance they would protect him anyway since there would be plenty of room.

Yep... it will just depend on what exactly. I'd be shocked if they let younger players be eligible than last time. I expect it to include 3rd year pros this time around (was 2 last time).

are they offering teams the option to protected 2-G again? I need to go back and look, but I think it meant fewer FWD and DEF could be protected

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm positive that Vegas is going to get a team... it is just a question of if Quebec gets a team.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
My biggest hope is something gets figured out with Seattle. One interesting thing is that the NHL seems to favor Seattle over QC.

With Seattle I think relocation makes the most sense. If the NHL wants a team there, they're going to have to make it a bit easier.

There is a precedent for renovating the old arena (something in the realm of 20M) in order to allow it to accommodate the NHL's standards until the new arena can be built.

There really is not much in the way of road blocks for the new arena there either. All of the major hurdles have been taken care of.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If Seattle was that close to getting an arena together they would have done it and had a bid. The fact that they couldn't is a major hurdle.

The NHL would prefer to relocate to Quebec because it's in the east and basically that way they could live with the small market and financial concerns moving a smaller player that would still be one. They don't want to divide the pie and then be expected to support a small player on top of it. Sure they'd love Seattle but until someone steps up to make that a viable option it's kind of like waiting up to hope the Easter Bunny arrives. They have to deal with what's in front of them. They are stalling to see if something materializes out if thin air or for the Canadian dollar to make a big rebound before they officially decline Quebec. They will at some point have to just move forward with Vegas and deal with the other options later.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Two expansions might be beneficial to the NHL and alignment.

You get...

- Las Vegas (to Central)
- Seattle (to Pacific)
- Relocate Florida Panthers to Quebec City (Atlantic)

Then move Buffalo to Metropolitan to even out the divisions. The problem with the Quebec City expansion, is the NHL deemed that they would have to be in the Western Conference for indefinitely until they see what they can do. I think seniority matters in the NHL and they won't be sending Detroit back West. Columbus is probably the only option, but I don't know if NHL will send them back either...

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Two expansions might be beneficial to the NHL and alignment.

You get...

- Las Vegas (to Central)
- Seattle (to Pacific)
- Relocate Florida Panthers to Quebec City (Atlantic)

Then move Buffalo to Metropolitan to even out the divisions. The problem with the Quebec City expansion, is the NHL deemed that they would have to be in the Western Conference for indefinitely until they see what they can do. I think seniority matters in the NHL and they won't be sending Detroit back West. Columbus is probably the only option, but I don't know if NHL will send them back either...

I was thinking the same, but with Florida being the team that goes to Seattle. I guess that only works if they move when expansion hits though. QC just takes Florida's spot in the Atlantic.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I guess I have missed all this expansion news, but wow - I think this is a horrible horrible idea for the NHL.

They need to enhance what they've already got. Expansion isn't going to save hockey.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I was thinking the same, but with Florida being the team that goes to Seattle. I guess that only works if they move when expansion hits though. QC just takes Florida's spot in the Atlantic.

This is what I was hoping for as a fan of a team going to Seattle, but that bail out Florida just got scared me off of hoping for that. With a logo redesign, that young team would be instantly loved in Seattle.

Barkov would also do well in the WC as a up and coming top center.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I guess I have missed all this expansion news, but wow - I think this is a horrible horrible idea for the NHL.

They need to enhance what they've already got. Expansion isn't going to save hockey.

I agree with you. The product does NOT need more teams.

Trying to expand in non-hockey markets has been a mistake for the most part and they have to fix this mess first. It starts with relocation. FLA to QC made sense until they got that agreement with the city a couple of weeks ago. Now they won't move for a while. So Carolina to QC city and PHO to LV, starting next year.

Won't happen though, because it makes sense.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I agree with you. The product does NOT need more teams.

Trying to expand in non-hockey markets has been a mistake for the most part and they have to fix this mess first. It starts with relocation. FLA to QC made sense until they got that agreement with the city a couple of weeks ago. Now they won't move for a while. So Carolina to QC city and PHO to LV, starting next year.

Won't happen though, because it makes sense.

As much as I don't like the idea of Las Vegas having a hockey team. Financially, that arena should sell out regularly just due to tourism. You could probably still headline a flea circus and sell tickets to it in Vegas.

I do think they need to move teams like Florida and Arizona though. Other teams may not be as healthy as others like CBJ and NJ, but they are no where near FLA and AZ.

Quebec and Seattle both will support teams regardless of how good they are. One thing not a lot of people know about Seattle. The city supports sports at a ridiculous level. The Mariners have been horrible for a very long time and the city supports them regardless.

Same thing with the Sea Hawks, only recently has it been at a rabid level but the city always supported the team. The Sounders were an instant success as well.

Hockey with Vancouver and a general rivalry with anything from California will be wildly successful.

People around the country don't really realize how much of a rabid sports city Seattle is, there is a crap ton of disposable income there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad