OT: All things Marvel/MCU (Spoilers)

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
So the guy who plays the old super soldier that lives in Baltimore, I knew he looked familiar from something. He was John Parker in Buckaroo Bonzai.

adventuresbuckaroobanzai08.jpg

Also...
Julia Louis-Dreyfus!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Another great episode. Lighter on action after the first sequence but terrific storytelling and acting.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
So the guy who plays the old super soldier that lives in Baltimore, I knew he looked familiar from something. He was John Parker in Buckaroo Bonzai.

adventuresbuckaroobanzai08.jpg

Also...
Julia Louis-Dreyfus!

Yea. For me Carl Lumbly is more identifiable from the show Alias where he was one of the agents and a main character. He also has a superhero history as he was the main character of the short-lived TV show MANTIS on FOX where he was a paralyzed scientist who developed a super-suit. Then he was the voice of Martian Manhunter in the Justice League, Justice League Unlimited animated shows and crossed over with everything DC animated did at that time. He ended up as the Father of Martian Manhunter on Supergirl in the past year or two as well.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yea. For me Carl Lumbly is more identifiable from the show Alias where he was one of the agents and a main character. He also has a superhero history as he was the main character of the short-lived TV show MANTIS on FOX where he was a paralyzed scientist who developed a super-suit. Then he was the voice of Martian Manhunter in the Justice League, Justice League Unlimited animated shows and crossed over with everything DC animated did at that time. He ended up as the Father of Martian Manhunter on Supergirl in the past year or two as well.

Alias, now THATS an underrated show.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
well...
to me that was a letdown..just kinda..meh

I'd probably agree with you. Sam's speech was strong, but resolution of everything was extremely underwhelming. Also some of the stuff just doesn't make sense. Like, Bucky has super soldier serum in him for enhanced strength, agility, speed... John Walker took the exact same serum that the Flag Smashers had taken.

Both of them are trained military with extensive hand to hand combat training. They fought against other heavily trained individuals with a ton of experience. John Walker was even rated off the charts as a NORMAL human before being enhanced.

Why are these people having trouble fighting these flag smashers? I can get if a couple may have had training... but Karli was a friggin teenager. If the serum puts them on the same physical level then shouldn't it then just be about actual hand-to-hand? If I have the same physical strength/speed as a trained black belt... but have no actual fighting ability they are gonna be kicking my ass.

The only real bright spot was seeing Sam in the new costume and utilizing Falcon's wings/flight ability and the shield together and his statements about the black experience and how he can justify to himself what he is and who he represents... but the actual storyline/fighting/opponent stuff in it? Really teetered out with a whimper.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'd probably agree with you. Sam's speech was strong, but resolution of everything was extremely underwhelming. Also some of the stuff just doesn't make sense. Like, Bucky has super soldier serum in him for enhanced strength, agility, speed... John Walker took the exact same serum that the Flag Smashers had taken.

Both of them are trained military with extensive hand to hand combat training. They fought against other heavily trained individuals with a ton of experience. John Walker was even rated off the charts as a NORMAL human before being enhanced.

Why are these people having trouble fighting these flag smashers? I can get if a couple may have had training... but Karli was a friggin teenager. If the serum puts them on the same physical level then shouldn't it then just be about actual hand-to-hand? If I have the same physical strength/speed as a trained black belt... but have no actual fighting ability they are gonna be kicking my ass.

The only real bright spot was seeing Sam in the new costume and utilizing Falcon's wings/flight ability and the shield together and his statements about the black experience and how he can justify to himself what he is and who he represents... but the actual storyline/fighting/opponent stuff in it? Really teetered out with a whimper.

Agreed in the fighting ability stuff. Bucky and Walker should have wiped the floor with them, but that would have been wayyyy more boring for the action scenes I guess.

They would have needed to take another narrative angle that focused more on the Flag Smashers to keep that compelling, and then you risk the heroes getting portrayed as bullies. That is a concept the series explored well, but taking it too far would risk visiting the sins of the DC movie universe. So I guess the plot hole is the lesser evil there.

I hope they go forward with a comic plotline about how a serum derived from the Captain America juice (by a fake Captain America...things get weird lol) is imperfect and slowly poisons and kills the recipient.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018

this is a really large cast. Going to guess that several of these characters do not survive the film and considering the final scene in the trailer
Doesn't seem to have Selma Hayek's char who appears to be the 'leader' at the start... and also going from 10 of them in that thumbnail to 7 of them sitting at the table.

Last edited:

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013

this is a really large cast. Going to guess that several of these characters do not survive the film and considering the final scene in the trailer
Doesn't seem to have Penelope Cruz's char who appears to be the 'leader' at the start... and also going from 10 of them in that thumbnail to 7 of them sitting at the table.

That seems to be Selma Hayek

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i really do not know about this movie..the trailer didn't excite me..but i also have no clue about these guys comics wise

Reactions: Lord Defect

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yeah I am not sure what to think about Eternals either.

On one hand, I like that it doesn't feel exactly like all of the other MCU movies. I also like the cast.

But the actual events depicted in the trailer did not excite me.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
The commercials in Wandavision were originally planned to be a manner by which Dr. Strange was trying to communicate with Wanda.

I completed (and already forgot) the total # of movies in the next 2 years by Marvel. It was something like 13. The celebrate the cinema trailer announcements, plus other ones likely in the works that we know about (Blade, etc).

The Eternals absence can easily be explained with some non-interference in affairs rule, or the fact that Thanos's invasion in that timeline happens quickly (and it looks like the Eternals have dispersed from their original duties). But now that a certain sect is back, they must act (what they were created for by their bosses.) Also, reports are that the test screening for the Eternals was some of the higher numbers they've seen for a Marvel flick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad