OT: All things Game of Thrones thread (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So obviously the Stark Wolfpack played Little Finger like a fiddle but what was all that high drama between Sansa and Arya..just an act the whole time? I can't imagine Bran withheld what he knew about Little Finger being treacherous so that Sansa and Arya could engage in potential "sistracide" ....????

Apparently the guy who plays Bran said they filmed a scene where Sansa came to Bran to ask him about it all. They cut that obviously but either way it's stupid.

You either have what we actually saw and just a swerve just to have one without any real explanation OR a case where Sansa continues to be useless instead of her figuring it all out herself.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Think so? I thought the writing was exceptional in Season 6. You saw the Hodor twist coming? Or the resurrection of the Hound and him joining the Brotherhood Without Banners?

Regardless, you have to allow for some things to simply play out as expected but appreciate how the show does it in spectacular fashion (e.g. everyone knew Jon wouldn't be killed at the Battle of the ********, but that was a heck of an episode).

However, I found Season 7 to start to be predictable and play out in less than extraordinary ways (the lackluster dragon pit meeting being the best example).

The show has to walk a line between too many swerves and too predictable. Overall, I think they do a good enough job to still qualify as my favorite show of all time.
IMO, minus a few scenes here or there, season 7 was the weakest. I think they are spending all the $$ on the grandiose sets this year...they had 4 big battle type sets this year in only 7 episodes...I'm sure that's playing into it.

Visually still very good.

I can't stand the last scene though, 7 years of buildup, the wall the wall the wall, and its defeated in 5 minutes.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Last Dec I binge watched 6 seasons worth of GoT in a matter of about 3 weeks. I think I was watching 2-3 episodes a day for the most part. It was a bit much and had to backtrack to get more context to what I viewed. It was a TV marathon which I rarely do.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
What exactly was that plan?

"Ok, so we're going to meet them and then something will happen (I don't know what yet because I don't know what this meeting is about) and you will pretend to walk out but really you're on my side for a truce/alliance I'm never going to give and then go get the mercenaries I am buying. Sound good Euron?"

I can't tell if you're trying to mock me or not, because yes that was the plan. Even part of the plan was the 2nd betrayal after her meeting with Tyrion.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The details, no. That they were gonna find a way to backstab Snow and Dany, yes.

Cersei we've spent the previous 6 seasons hating. She has nary 2 redeeming scenes in the whole series. Why should we have believed she'd turn a new leaf and play nice?

Euron is a small character thrust onto a big stage late in the game. He has been presented as self-centered, and egomanical. Why should he start giving a damn about others, when he comes from a culture of quick hit rape & pillage?

I feel as though you are contradicting yourself here, particularly with Euron.

Yes, he's selfish and only cares about himself. That's why it makes all the sense in the world for him to abandon Cersei and wait at Pyke until the dead come. Sticking with Cersei is actually putting him in more danger than if he wasn't.

But as for the whole of your statement: the details are the important thing for GOT. They took you through a mini-roller coaster throughout that whole dragonpit scene. There were periods of time where you genuinely believed Cersei went along with it, I'm sure.

It's a shame she's stupid enough to actually think it'll work.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Think so? I thought the writing was exceptional in Season 6. You saw the Hodor twist coming? Or the resurrection of the Hound and him joining the Brotherhood Without Banners?

Regardless, you have to allow for some things to simply play out as expected but appreciate how the show does it in spectacular fashion (e.g. everyone knew Jon wouldn't be killed at the Battle of the ********, but that was a heck of an episode).

However, I found Season 7 to start to be predictable and play out in less than extraordinary ways (the lackluster dragon pit meeting being the best example).

The show has to walk a line between too many swerves and too predictable. Overall, I think they do a good enough job to still qualify as my favorite show of all time.

I mostly agree with you but I do have to say that people who read the books and saw the clues knew The Hound was alive still as the gravedigger. Way too many giveaways (size of the man) plus his horse (whom couldn't be ridden by anyone but Sandor) was in the stables.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
I can't tell if you're trying to mock me or not, because yes that was the plan. Even part of the plan was the 2nd betrayal after her meeting with Tyrion.

So she knew she was going to offer a term to take a truce, somehow knew that Jon had bent the knee to Cersei on the way there and that Jon would be stupid enough to say no, thus giving her cause to rescind the offer, that Tyrion would come and talk to her and that she would then be able to offer fake support she had no intention to give? If she wanted to have an excuse to withdraw, she should have offered much more unreasonable terms.

I'm sorry, but both the first part and the second part pre-suppose her having knowledge she couldn't have, anticipating in-the-moment responses she couldn't foresee and/or having telepathic communication with Euron.

Take Euron out of the equation and all of Cersei's actions are believable. Factor him in and this plan and it doesn't make sense at all.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I feel as though you are contradicting yourself here, particularly with Euron.

Yes, he's selfish and only cares about himself. That's why it makes all the sense in the world for him to abandon Cersei and wait at Pyke until the dead come. Sticking with Cersei is actually putting him in more danger than if he wasn't.

But as for the whole of your statement: the details are the important thing for GOT. They took you through a mini-roller coaster throughout that whole dragonpit scene. There were periods of time where you genuinely believed Cersei went along with it, I'm sure.

It's a shame she's stupid enough to actually think it'll work.

I disagree with your statement. I continue to believe the show has jumped the shark. Specifically because the rules and expectations set forth in the early seasons are easily forgotten/ignored/eschewed for the sake of wrapping up this story. So d&d can work on their slavery in America fantasy show.

I have a similar opinion as that of Preston Jacobs. The show is now mock worthy based upon comparisons with itself. Before, it was snobby to compare show to book and find fault. Now one can compare show to show and find inaccuracies.

Along with Jacobs, here's a video by Wisecracking that further, and more eloquently, describes the observable faults with this last season.

And to be clear, the ardent fans that think this is good storytelling g are the same folks that think Eberle is an 80 pt player or AMac is worth his contract. Folks that deserve to be mocked.

Cersei is a heel, always has been, always will be.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I disagree with your statement. I continue to believe the show has jumped the shark. Specifically because the rules and expectations set forth in the early seasons are easily forgotten/ignored/eschewed for the sake of wrapping up this story. So d&d can work on their slavery in America fantasy show.

I have a similar opinion as that of Preston Jacobs. The show is now mock worthy based upon comparisons with itself. Before, it was snobby to compare show to book and find fault. Now one can compare show to show and find inaccuracies.

Along with Jacobs, here's a video by Wisecracking that further, and more eloquently, describes the observable faults with this last season.

And to be clear, the ardent fans that think this is good storytelling g are the same folks that think Eberle is an 80 pt player or AMac is worth his contract. Folks that deserve to be mocked.

Cersei is a heel, always has been, always will be.

Haha, oh good ol' Preston Jacobs eh.

I really, wholly disagree they're rushing to finish so they can work on a slavery show. That's just not the way creatives work. They don't rush the ending of something they've worked on for a decade just "to be done with it."

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
So HBO programming president Casey Bloys has said they plan on filming more than one ending of the final season to throw off leaks....

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
My theory is that Jon and Dany have a baby but both die in the war. The living obviously defeat the dead and the baby is the rightful heir. Who raises and looks after their child? Not sure. Could see a collective effort between the Stark survivors and loyal compadres like Thormund and/or Tyrion.

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
After Jamie leaves and is riding away from Kings Landing, would have loved for Bronn to ride up beside him and say, "**** it, we're all going to die anyway".

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I mostly agree with you but I do have to say that people who read the books and saw the clues knew The Hound was alive still as the gravedigger. Way too many giveaways (size of the man) plus his horse (whom couldn't be ridden by anyone but Sandor) was in the stables.

Yeah, that horse will bite your damn hand off. It was a pretty big clue.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
for some reason..i just can not get myself up for this last season lol its either the fact the wait has been so long or that GoT has become super popular and the thing to watch that..i am just..meh what ever about it

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I will avoid any spoilers for the last season at all costs. Can't wait! Just binged all the seasons again the past two weeks so I am pretty much drained now and need a few good nights of rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad