OT: All Things Game of Thrones II (The thread is dark and full of spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nope, having a dragon wildly puts one in the cat-bird seat.

Bronn had the right idea.

I was thinking about his character earlier. He's lowkey a really smart character. He runs with the "chaos is a ladder" philosophy, but on instinct rather than having reasoned it out like Petyr. And he sure is right right with that "f*** fighting dragons" mindset that so many others lack. It's fitting for him to survive the whole thing.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I am sorely disappointed, that's why myself and a few others often share our less than rosey opinions of the show.

And again, you miss the mark, again. D&D went into this project with the knowledge the book series was incomplete. They had a discussion with GRRM and apparently knew enough to satisfy GRRM's whims they could competently tell the story. I'm guessing they discussed his book release timeline, and whatever the answer, they obviously went forward with the TV show.

So, they have the written books, book 5 coming out a few months after the first tv show. How they decided to make the original episodes pace, which characters to include or cut, those were all D&D decisions. Had they started the show differently, even further from the books, maybe they're not in the same position now as they are. Forest Gump is a very good movie (I'd say great but there are detractors from it.) The book it was based on? Whoa nelly is that thing wild and fun, but incoherent, and the movie did a lot of trimming, a LOT. D&D had that available to them. The book series was already popular, but not nearly the cultural phenomenon it is now, way way down the list under the LotR. If D&D decided to lean on the books so heavily in the first few seasons that was a narrative choice they made. That's my point, the whole show is about their decisions, not the source of the material. They could've made better decisions then, which would theoretically be more consistent to what they are doing now.

But hey, we both think we're right and the other individual is wrong.

This entire theory is based off a book release timeline that, 11 years later, still hasnt come to fruition. It's entirely just as possible that GRRM told them he was close to completing the storylines in 6 and 7 and they could've continue to slow play and tell out details through 9 seasons or 10. Then they hit season 5 and 6 and theres no books. Making this show is a year round job for these guys that theyve done for 11 years. Producers arent in the business of dedicating their entire lives to one show, especially if there was a presumption that they wouldn't have had to dedicate as many resources to developing a storyline they thought that they would already have.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
GRRM had been acting like things were around the corner long ago.

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that he's lately gotten bleaker and quieter on that front.

I'm convinced that if he had anything resembling a book ready, the show wouldve acted on that accordingly. They stuck mostly to the books for the first few seasons. I doubt d&d had access to the rest of the story and just decided to go rogue as a f u to the people have been following the show.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
GRRM had been acting like things were around the corner long ago.

I'm not sure what to make of the fact that he's lately gotten bleaker and quieter on that front.
He moved on to other things like the prequels.

This is the biggest show ever. Fame came to Martin and he probably has more offers for other things that finishing the books almost is secondary now. He could finish the books or be paid a crap ton for prequel tv shows or movie treatments for his other works. Just like the current showrunners could of taken their time and produced two more quality seasons instead of rushing to finish so they could work on Confederacy and now Star Wars.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don’t think we’re going to agree, so I’m just going to stop until next weeks episode.

Not to go back and forth here, but to be honest, I think we all agree on the big piece - the show is definitely condensed and its causing some discrepancies in storyline. Ultimately, I think a lot of our ( the pros vs cons people, for a lack of better terms) differences our centered around how much they are ultimately affecting the main storyline of the show.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad