OT: All Things Game of Thrones II (The thread is dark and full of spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
can't seem to quote from other thread but..it was mentioned about how there was no backstory about the NK and all their symbology and such and Jon and Dany...this just goes to show how out of control/element the showrunners are ever since they ran out of official material

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
can't seem to quote from other thread but..it was mentioned about how there was no backstory about the NK and all their symbology and such and Jon and Dany...this just goes to show how out of control/element the showrunners are ever since they ran out of official material
What more backstory do you need? NK was created by the children of the forest to fight the humans. They went too deep and made him want to wipe humanity off the planet. He has to murder the 3 eyed raven to destroy all humans and has been trying to do so for hundreds of years. I don't really need much more backstory than that.

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
What more backstory do you need? NK was created by the children of the forest to fight the humans. They went too deep and made him want to wipe humanity off the planet. He has to murder the 3 eyed raven to destroy all humans and has been trying to do so for hundreds of years. I don't really need much more backstory than that.
exactly dont understand what people fkn need, they need some illuminati shit to be happy

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Not that I will ever read them but I do hope GRRM has more backstory planned than that. I wish they spent a little more time on why he wants to go after Bran.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Not that I will ever read them but I do hope GRRM has more backstory planned than that. I wish they spent a little more time on why he wants to go after Bran.
Bran literally says the Night King wants "an endless night. He wants to erase this world, and I am its memory." Whether or not that's the whole story is up for debate, but Bran hasn't really minced words since he's been in this emotionless state.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
exactly dont understand what people fkn need, they need some illuminati **** to be happy

The WW/Others are the backdrop for the entire story.

They are borderline ethereal beings [at least in the books], completely shrouded in mystery that had all but faded into myth and served to ground the larger narrative through their past interactions with humanity [the presence of the Wall, the prophecies and the stories/songs that had been passed on]. They provide an eerie context for the world and are the core foundation of several character's arcs, most prominently Jon. They're simply too important to be left unexplored.

The show made a serious mistake by introducing a 'Night King' to serve as a personification for something that was akin to a natural force within the world. Now that they're gone without having accomplished some grand goal or at least having revealed some greater mystery, the story is hopelessly devolving into generic fantasy.

I'm honestly devastated because everything that made the world so engrossing has been utterly rejected by the show. There can be no greater essence to the world; it's just a generic medieval fantasy planet where some elf-life beings created a powerful lich that they couldn't control. It's really nothing special outside of GRRM's impeccable storytelling.

Last edited:

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Bran literally says the Night King wants "an endless night. He wants to erase this world, and I am its memory." Whether or not that's the whole story is up for debate, but Bran hasn't really minced words since he's been in this emotionless state.
Yeah I get that...and if they ended up there that is fine, but IMO there hasn't been anything said about it since what like season 6? The hodor season. Like they showed how the children of the forest made the WW and whatnot. How did the night king see him back in season 6 when he touched him? Presumably the mark on Bran's arm is the reason he knows where Bran is all the time. They just say one line about him being the memory of the world and call it good? They literally spent more time talking about the crypts being safe.

Overall when I think about the entire story of the night king and the white walkers and all the artwork they made etc, it just seems like a little bit of a let down to just have it all end in one battle where they just stab the leader. Despite how cool some of those shots were. What was the point of valaryian steel and dragon glass etc? (besides the dagger obvi).

Reactions: VladDrag

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
The WW/Others are the backdrop for the entire story.

They were borderline ethereal beings [at least in the books], completely shrouded in mystery that had all but faded into myth and served to ground the larger narrative through their past interactions with humanity [the presence of the Wall, the prophecies and the stories/songs that had been passed on]. They provide an eerie context for the world and are the core foundation of several characters arcs, most prominently Jon. They're simply too important to be left unexplored.

The show made a serious mistake by introducing a 'Night King' to serve as a personification for something that was akin to a natural force within the world. Now that they're gone without having accomplished some grand goal or at least having revealed some greater mystery, the story is devolving into generic fantasy.

I'm honestly devastated because everything that made the world so engrossing has been utterly rejected by the show. There can be no greater essence to the world; it's just a generic medieval fantasy planet where some elf-life beings created a powerful lich that they couldn't control. It's really nothing special outside of GRRM's impeccable storytelling.
people need to stop, its a TV show not a book, forget the books

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Yo, the internet. I missed you. I was trying to hold off on watching this until my wife is caught up, shes on Season 7 episode 5...but its impossible when everyone wants to post major spoilers and be complete dicks.

What an amazing episode. Im completely satisfied with it, but people will always find ways to nitpick.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

There's a scene where the first people create the NK, as "biological warefare" against the invading men, seen by Bran.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The show has become irresponsible of taking a complicated multi-layer story and distilling it into a Jon & Dany love story, with a splash of House Stark, House Lannister, Euron pirate for flavor. The intrigue is missing because the show (nee book) would present something dynamic and explore it.

One cannot deny the linear progression of the show now, compared to what it had been in the beginning. It's one thing for stories to coalesce to a point, but GoT is eschewing characters and plot points, not simply temporarily emphasizing one over the other.

And still, I harp on Ghost a bunch. I'm sick of it now. There's been two episodes with the wolf, and in both it's clear that the addition was an afterthought. A poorly drawn cartoon that doesn't interact with it's surroundings. What's the point? It's lazy. Previously if the wolf was part of a scene, it was a character, now it's a prop. Far too much, things/characters have become props. Where once there was meaning, now there's only a ham-fisted attempt to elevate Jon & Dany, and now Arya, in unimaginative or extremely simple ways. (No one is lamenting the stare down between Jon and the Dragon where the new Targaryen Prince is yelling at a zombie dragon? Tots high drama there.)

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Yo, the internet. I missed you. I was trying to hold off on watching this until my wife is caught up, shes on Season 7 episode 5...but its impossible when everyone wants to post major spoilers and be complete dicks.

What an amazing episode. Im completely satisfied with it, but people will always fin ways to nitpick.
The Room is an amazingly entertaining movie.

It is still garbage from a narrative stand point.

Reactions: Danko

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I will say that it was smart of D&D to have the NK killed as quickly as possible simply because they never did much to build his character up.

By the time they reach Winterfall, he's still just a stereotypical, genocidal big-bad. There just isn't a way to resolve a conflict with that sort of being that sees him live past the battle.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
The whole hype about this show is about the story telling and how every character, no matter how good or bad at first glance, evolves and learns and makes you understand his or her motives.
They completely abandoned that path in regard to the NK. You barely see him until the final battle and then it's all over. Disappointing.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I will say that it was smart of D&D to have the NK killed as quickly as possible simply because they never did much to build his character up.

By the time they reach Winterfall, he's still just a stereotypical, genocidal big-bad. There just isn't a way to resolve a conflict with that sort of being that sees him live past the battle.

From the beginning, with how much depth was given to all of the characters in the show, I thought the NK would be much closer to a Voldemort character than a guy off of this list - The 16 Most One-Dimensional Movie Villains We Are Tired Of Seeing

And the sad thing is, a lot of those bad depictions have way more depth than the NK, whom came across from the depictions of others as some awe inspiring all powerful entity with purpose, motive, and the ability to see it done.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
One other thing that I'm really sad about is that we've probably lost the chance to ever understand what's actually at play behind the power of greenseers and the 3ER. I was dead sure that WW/Others would have at least have provided some context for that in the show given the NK's ability to reach out and touch Bran.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The whole hype about this show is about the story telling and how every character, no matter how good or bad at first glance, evolves and learns and makes you understand his or her motives.
They completely abandoned that path in regard to the NK. You barely see him until the final battle and then it's all over. Disappointing.
I will have to wait and see what purpose the NK plays for the overall story. He might have just been a device to create the right circumstances for the final outcome. Dany’s army was unstoppable at her previous numbers and now she is down to apparently one dragon. Plus she lost the last person who could have rein in her worst impulses. I do think she turns bad at the end and wasting her insurmountable army against the dead can only set her up more for a fall.

It will be interesting to see how Martin plans on ending it. He is smart to wait and see what the show does and make adjustments later.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I will have to wait and see what purpose the NK plays for the overall story. He might have just been a device to create the right circumstances for the final outcome. Dany’s army was unstoppable at her previous numbers and now she is down to apparently one dragon. Plus she lost the last person who could have rein in her worst impulses. I do think she turns bad at the end and wasting her insurmountable army against the dead can only set her up more for a fall.

It will be interesting to see how Martin plans on ending it. He is smart to wait and see what the show does and make adjustments later.

I don't think he's waiting to see what the show does, I think he's just lazy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
From the beginning, with how much depth was given to all of the characters in the show, I thought the NK would be much closer to a Voldemort character than a guy off of this list - The 16 Most One-Dimensional Movie Villains We Are Tired Of Seeing

And the sad thing is, a lot of those bad depictions have way more depth than the NK, whom came across from the depictions of others as some awe inspiring all powerful entity with purpose, motive, and the ability to see it done.

Think of the NK as a sentient virus, that is, with no human attributes, and its only motive was to replicate by killing its host.
So there was never any "depth" to be found.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

They plainly state his intentions and he isn't exactly a normal human character that can evolve and change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad