TV: All things Dragonball thread

Who's your favorite character from the franchise?

• Total voters

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I haven't watched it in ages, but doesn't Vegeta turn into a giant ape after that and renders him useless?
From what I remember, it sure looked like if it was just Goku vs. Vegeta the whole time, Vegeta probably would have won that fight, arguably even without the ape thing. Goku kept frustrating him by upping Kaioken every time, sure, but it seemed like despite besting Vegeta in each individual near-draw bout, Goku's body was destroyed and Vegeta still seemed surprisingly fine, even though he was the one directly taking the hits/blasts. Then after the ape thing happens, it's pretty much over. It took pretty much everyone ganging/sneaking up on him to get him to leave, and it didn't look like he was in any real danger/trouble/harmed too badly until the Gohan ape thing happened.

And regarding Son Goku's response to that, the fact that it plays out that way is actually what I like about that saga and why I found Kaioken more engaging/interesting to watch than the whole Super Saiyan thing.
I just can't agree with this. Dragonball Z was great beginning to end IMO. It was never meant to be a flawless show, the original Dragonball was almost a parody. Plot wise and character development wise DB is easily the best of the franchise, but I enjoy the power DBZ characters had.
Well, obviously. You started the thread, afterall. :p:

While I have all this useless knowledge about it permanently stuck in my head from being obsessed with it as a kid, with the benefit of hindsight as an adult, my feelings on it now are a lot more mixed and uncertain than yours are, for sure. While I feel that it has positive qualities/charms that can be interpreted as "a good show" if I'm feeling generous, compared to stuff that I actually love and feel most strongly about, I also can't bring myself to think TOO highly of it. It kind of just rides on the border for me rather than being a series that I fully love and embrace.

Last edited:
Reactions: Son Goku

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Goku has never beaten Vegeta.

The 1st fight was easily going to be a Vegeta win. Goku pushed himself as far as he could but still needed Krillin, Gohan and f***ing yajirobe to survive.

The 2nd fight Vegeta KOd Goku. Yes Goku could have gone SSJ3 and his back was turned, but that's his fault for holding back and dropping his guard.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void

The 1st fight was easily going to be a Vegeta win. Goku pushed himself as far as he could but still needed Krillin, Gohan and ****ing yajirobe to survive.

The 2nd fight Vegeta KOd Goku. Yes Goku could have gone SSJ3 and his back was turned, but that's his fault for holding back and dropping his guard.
The second one is bullshit :laugh: cheapshotting someone like that doesn't mean a thing. Especially if it's someone you trusted for so long. He manipulated him into a false sense of friendship.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
The second one is bull**** :laugh: cheapshotting someone like that doesn't mean a thing. Especially if it's someone you trusted for so long. He manipulated him into a false sense of friendship.

I say Vegeta used his brain and exploited Goku's weakness. Gotta do whatever it takes to win :nod:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Even though he ultimately lost and Goku won :)

But Goku was the one on his ass :)

Or do you mean against kid buu? Don't forget the spirit bomb and the wish to heal Goku were Vegeta ideas. And before the fight started Vegeta was happy and willing when shin gave them the potaras, but Goku didn't want to fuse. Could have saved everyone an ass kicking if he was smarter. In fact, it got to that point because Goku was so dumb. He could have gone SSJ3 and KOd Vegeta and buu wouldn't have been released. But even after, he could have killed fat buu. Put everyone at risk for no reason.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
One little detail that I remember loving about the series too: The way Vegeta kills Zarbon. I don't know why, but the way Zarbon holds unto the smaller Vegeta's head as he gets a fist right through the stomach and realizes he's done for is picture perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Son Goku

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
One little detail that I remember loving about the series too: The way Vegeta kills Zarbon. I don't know why, but the way Zarbon holds unto the smaller Vegeta's head as he gets a fist right through the stomach and realizes he's done for is picture perfect.
Always hated Zarbon, one of my favorite moments.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

The 1st fight was easily going to be a Vegeta win. Goku pushed himself as far as he could but still needed Krillin, Gohan and ****ing yajirobe to survive.

Damn this is even more delusional than your Crosby v. OV takes.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Didnt really like it after the Frieza Saga

Each saga there is all of a sudden a new more powerful villain that has been unknown and could flick anyone from the previous saga to death, good thing they were able to multiply their power levels by then!

Like really, Dr Gero was able to create androids with power levels in the millions in a time where Goku was under 1000? Good thing they were sleeping just long enough for Goku to get a similar power level!

Reactions: Amerika

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I never got into Super.

I’ve seen both Battle of Gods and Resurrection F and to my understanding the beginning of Super is basically just a retelling of those right?

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I never got into Super.

I’ve seen both Battle of Gods and Resurrection F and to my understanding the beginning of Super is basically just a retelling of those right?

Yep exactly. I loved the fight with Beerus but hated the Frieda stuff. What’s frustrating is they used like 10 episodes on each movie but they added very little content or explanation for things. If you’ve seen the movies it’s fairly boring to watch, but both of them set up a lot for Super.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I never got into Super.

Once you get past the resurrection F arc it only gets better. Absolutely amazing in fact. Give it a shot.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Zeno saw the universe 6 vs 7 battle and was excited. Goku suggested to have a fight with all universes. Zeno forgot about this until Goku reminded him later on. Zeno was originally going to erase all of the universes with a low mortal level (every universe except 1,5,8,12) because he felt there were too many universes to watch over. So he decided to have the ToP to be entertained by the fight and to give at least 1 universe the chance to survive.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
In DBS it felt like there was nothing on the line. All main DBZ villains seemed dangerous because they were evil and there was tragedy like them killing people and fighters. There wasn't that same feeling in the tournament arc.

Nothing tops this in Dragonball for me:

Toriyama needs to pull something out of his ass to make the other fighters relevant again. Even if the fights are good, the Goku Show is kind of boring. There's a lot that can still be done with the characters and story to make it a little more interesting while keeping the fights intense.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
In DBS it felt like there was nothing on the line. All main DBZ villains seemed dangerous because they were evil and there was tragedy like them killing people and fighters. There wasn't that same feeling in the tournament arc.

Nothing tops this in Dragonball for me:

Toriyama needs to pull something out of his ass to make the other fighters relevant again. Even if the fights are good, the Goku Show is kind of boring. There's a lot that can still be done with the characters and story to make it a little more interesting while keeping the fights intense.

Agreed 100%. DBZ was at its best when more characters were relevant to the fight/got more story. As it becomes more and more just Goku and Vegeta, it feels like we’re simply waiting for the next transformation for them to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad