TV: All things Dragonball thread

Who's your favorite character from the franchise?

• Total voters

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Haha yeah I was watching the dub for a while too but eventually gave up and marathoned the sub because I couldn’t avoid the spoilers.
This was how i felt. When Super came out I didn't care if it was in Japanese, the funimation dub didnt come out until a year later. Then the sub grew on me and I now prefer the Japanese voice actors. They seem way more genuine and fluid IMO.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I still prefer dubbed Goku but that’s just me. I’ll openly admit that most of the lines don’t sound neatly as cool when they’re translated or done over in English.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I still prefer dubbed Goku but that’s just me. I’ll openly admit that most of the lines don’t sound neatly as cool when they’re translated or done over in English.
I think we can blame funimation dub for that. Sean Schemmel is one of the exceptions when it comes to sub>dub IMO. Could be nostalgia but anytime I watch him in an interview and he does the Goku voice I feel like a child again :laugh: I never knew until recently he voiced King Kai!

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I was always a Future Trunks fan during the Android Saga because he was wise, noble, quite badass, but also was naive at a crucial time (over-training in the Hyberbolic Time Chamber to fight cell and thus lowering his speed and elusiveness) and his timeline's historical events were not lining up like he expected them to, which was a wrench in the plan to come back and warn the fighters about the Androids.

Side note: I think Super is a little off the rails at times but I really do enjoy it.

Another side note: Dragonball Z Kai is terrible and no one should ever let the 5 episode Kamehameha or Spirit Bomb fillers be substituted for silly voiceovers, shortened scenes and cheesy Japanese trumpet themes :laugh:

Last edited:

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I was always a Future Trunks fan during the Android Saga because he was wise, noble, quite badass, but also was naive at a crucial time (over-training in the Hyberbolic Time Chamber to fight cell and thus lowering his speed and elusiveness) and his timeline's historical events were not lining up like he expected them to, which was a wrench in the plan to come back and warn the fighters about the Androids.

Side note: I think Super is a little off the rails at times but I do enjoy it.

Another side note: Dragonball Z Kai is terrible and no one should ever let the 5 episode Kamehameha or Spirit Bomb fillers be substituted for silly voiceovers, shortened scenes and cheesy Japanese trumpet themes :laugh:
Always loved future trunks myself, what a badass.

Side note, I understand the hate some people have for Super. But I really enjoy it myself. I like the enormous amounts of power and the ridiculous feats. There's also a lot of great characters in the show with a LOT of potential development wise.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I’m also a Super fan. It was far from perfect but comparing it to GT is nonsense. GT has zero redeeming factors. Super had quite a few good storylines, characters, transformations, etc.

Reactions: Son Goku

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Always loved future trunks myself, what a badass.

Side note, I understand the hate some people have for Super. But I really enjoy it myself. I like the enormous amounts of power and the ridiculous feats. There's also a lot of great characters in the show with a LOT of potential development wise.

Beerus and Whis alone make Super worth it.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Beerus and Whis alone make Super worth it.
Agreed. At the time they were introduced I was a bit weary but now I absolutely love their characters. The rivalry between Goku and Beerus is so apparent, and then it turned into a friendship. Wholesome af.

**SPOILER ALERT**

When Jiren tossed the spirit bomb back at Goku and it seemingly killed him you could tell how hurt and distraught Beerus was. "Is this really the end of you, Son Goku?" Was so powerful to me. What an emotional rollercoaster that arc was.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I stopped Super after the Goku Black arc.

Not because of hate or anything..im sure i'll pick it up again

I thought all 3 Toriyama movies were fantastic...but I want material set after the manga now.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I stopped Super after the Goku Black arc.

Not because of hate or anything..im sure i'll pick it up again

I thought all 3 Toriyama movies were fantastic...but I want material set after the manga now.
You should watch the universe survival arc if you love nonstop actiom and gut wrenching moments. Although it has "some" filler episodes but they arent terrible.

As for new material, I believe Super is close to being confirmed coming back. They made entirely too much money in the past year not to. There was an event a few months ago for TV execs and there they showed the "guide" for what will be coming up and Dragonball Super was listed with new episodes.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
My 6 year old loves Dragon Ball. I thought it was something new that came out. Apparently, I was wrong as it has been out for years I am so out of touch.
You created a cool 6 year old! Always good to hear kids appreciating older shows. Stuff just isn't the same anymore.

As for Dragonball itself, it originally came out sometime in the 80's. Its peak popularity wise was "Dragonball Z" which hit its stride in the late 90's early 2000's IMO. Right around the same time Pokemon became a massive pop culture hit.

Reactions: Baby Punisher

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Dragon Ball's staying power has surprised me.

Manga ended it's run in Japan nearly 25 years ago and the anime in North America in What? 2003? Pretty much no new material after that for a decade... You would think it just the same fans from before who are entering their 30s now but nope gaining newer younger fans too

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Dragon Ball's staying power has surprised me.

Manga ended it's run in Japan nearly 25 years ago and the anime in North America in What? 2003? Pretty much no new material after that for a decade... You would think it just the same fans from before who are entering their 30s now but nope gaining newer younger fans too
Not only in Japan but the US as well. Kai and Super both have good slots on toonami. Dragonball is an absolute force marketing wise. Goku is one of the most recognized characters world wide of any entertainment source.

Dragonball is also big in places like India, Mexico, all of Europe. Its awesome.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Not only in Japan but the US as well. Kai and Super both have good slots on toonami. Dragonball is an absolute force marketing wise. Goku is one of the most recognized characters world wide of any entertainment source.

Dragonball is also big in places like India, Mexico, all of Europe. Its awesome.

Yes it by far biggest anime (Pokemon more game) which surprises me as it had no material for decades

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Yes it by far biggest anime (Pokemon more game) which surprises me as it had no material for decades
When Super hit its 2nd arc it was outpacing One Piece the BIGGEST anime in japan for years! Actually right now its far and away number one. Gathering millions and millions of viewers weekly still. Pokemon is much larger gaming wise haha, one market Dragonball hasn't exactly put a stranglehold on. All the games like budokai and raging blast seem very similar. The saiyan saga and freiza saga get old after awhile.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I’m also a Super fan. It was far from perfect but comparing it to GT is nonsense. GT has zero redeeming factors. Super had quite a few good storylines, characters, transformations, etc.
It's a lot closer to GT in overall quality than it is to Z, IMO. The attempt at storytelling in Super is really cringe-worthy and dumb-founding (GT is as well), and I would argue that GT is more structurally sound and feels less like it's just being made up on the spot (even though the execution is pretty awful), although Super does do a better job of understanding the characters/charm/attitude of the show than GT and is better at fan-service, I suppose (I'm guessing that's ultimately why people like it more). Super's kind of like an entire series that feels like weak filler/tributes to Z (even the main arcs). Neither are great in terms of animation/art/aesthetic, but the lows in Super are more laughably ugly and the consistency is all over the map (sometimes they pull out all the stops production-value-wise, like for the latest arc, but even then, the art looks pretty off/wonky to me). GT's art looks dissimilar to Z, but it has more of a consistent unique, and cohesive style of its own than Super does (whereas to me, Super's art looks like fanart of varying levels of quality that nobody can get quite right).

Overall, I would say that GT has the feel of a bad/soulless show made by people in the industry who barely have familiarity with the series and are just basing it off their notes or something, whereas Super feels like a bad show made, written, and drawn by the fans. Obviously that's not the case literally, but they give off that vibe to me.

Dragonball and Dragonball Z on the other hand are cohesive, memorable, and consistent shows with real personality/charm, effective storytelling structure, and a legitimately great aesthetic, despite the show's clear flaws/irreverence/neglect for things that probably matter.

I do legitimately like and appreciate the closing and send-off at the end of the most recent arc of Super, though. But that's kind of the only thing that stands out to me.

Last edited:

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
You created a cool 6 year old! Always good to hear kids appreciating older shows. Stuff just isn't the same anymore.

As for Dragonball itself, it originally came out sometime in the 80's. Its peak popularity wise was "Dragonball Z" which hit its stride in the late 90's early 2000's IMO. Right around the same time Pokemon became a massive pop culture hit.
I didn't know the difference between the two. I bought him the Dragon Ball Z game for the switch. We play if it Often. Just the other day he tried explaining to me the difference between the two. He was pretty articulate in how explained the differences in the battles and the fighting style. He mentioned Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball Kai a few times.

A week or two ago I am flipping channels and I come across the beginning of a live-action Dragon Ball movie. Dragon Ball: Evolution. something else I didn't know existed.

When I was growing up Street Fighter was all the rage. I bought him the Street Fighter game for the Switch and he didn't take to it at all. I was disappointed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad